Long time bassist, new to guitar

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by rojo412, May 24, 2019.

1. rojo412

rojo412 TDPRI Member

Hey everybody! I'm Adam and I'm new here.

A friend of mine (@knopflerfan) always told me about this website and I'd been a lurker on a few things for years. There's a lot of good info here, so to all of the people whose informative posts helped me: thank you.

I'm a bass player and have been for many years. A couple years back, I began building basses from scratch and it really caught me. Luthierie is frickin' awesome. I just started working on my first guitar from scratch, as a matter of fact. I'll post a whole thing on that in the proper forum.

To any of the TalkBass folks that I've seen on here, hello again.

I'm looking forward to learning more about guitar stuff through here.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  2. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Hey - welcome from just a bit southwest of you!

Is @knopflerfan in our area as well?

rojo412 likes this.
  3. rojo412

rojo412 TDPRI Member

He is! I'm honestly not sure how much he posts though.

4. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Welcome! I'm a transplant from TalkBass, too.

6String69 and rojo412 like this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy!

rojo412 likes this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome.....I get the impression there are several "cross pollination" players here, (guitar AND bass) and they always bring a great perspective on "guitar" subjects. I've played guitar for over fifty years, and probably twenty-five years ago, after MANY frustrating searches for decent bass players, I took it up myself, and played in several bands as a bass player. It's TRULY a different animal. (IMHO) Some people say you have to "dumb down" to play bass.....(simplifying and playing fundamentally)....I say you have to "smart up".....too many so-called bassists think the more notes you play, the better and more impressive you are. I know just the opposite is true.
    At any rate, I look forward to your views on both guitar and bass.....we've got a lot of smart and talented folks here! ;)
    added edit.....I see while I was typing, brookdalebill slipped in above me....he's one of the bass AND guitar players here.

6String69 and rojo412 like this.
  7. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome to the fold!

SB

rojo412 likes this.
  8. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Tele-Meister

Welcome aboard!

rojo412 likes this.
  9. 6String69

6String69 TDPRI Member

Welcome! I too am a bass player who recently picked up guitar! It is fun isn’t it?

rojo412 likes this.
  10. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the forum !!

11. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

Welcome.

12. rojo412

rojo412 TDPRI Member

Thank you all for the warm welcomes, I can tell things are pretty cool here.

I've dabbled in playing guitar a bit over the years. When I was a kid, I wanted to learn guitar as my dad played (he has a sweet Gibson Firebird Artist from 82 with the Moog preamp in it). But he wasn't a great teacher, nor was I a great student.
    When another friend showed me what a bass was, I was hooked from there.

I did a short stint at Guitar Center almost 20 years ago and bought a couple different ones, only to realize I was no good at chords, so I sold or returned those quickly. And despite having a couple to noodle on still, I don't play much. My most amazing accomplishment on guitar to date is to learn the solo from "Shout" by Tears For Fears... and I've already forgotten that.

But after getting into building basses, as well as doing repair on all kinds of guitars, I felt the bug to build a guitar. So I may still kinda blow at playing it when it's done... but I hope it turns out to be an impressive first attempt, with many more to come.

13. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Hi my name is Steve and I am a recovering Bass Player. I last called myself a bass player in June of 1999. A friend needed a guitar player and I was tired of playing with the guys I was playing with playing bass, and occasionally being able to pick a few tunes each gig on guitar.
    I’ve relapsed only a few times the last 20 years and always sought to seek forgiveness from my guitars for my unfaithfulness.

Amen

14. Fenderslinger

Fenderslinger Tele-Meister

Also a bass player quite new to guitar! I started a band with my wife (who plays bass and sings) and moved to guitar (after reading the Keith Richards Bio "Life").

He described his 5-string, open G tele technique and a light bulb went off in my head... I had resisted playing guitar because I knew so many great guitarist and didn't want to be the crappy guitarist in the room.. Now after a few years of me learning and playing only 5 string open G, I'm always the best (open g) guitarist where ever I go! :D:lol:

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  15. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Meister

Welcome

rojo412 likes this.
  16. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

5th year since the conversion,,enjoying the challenge but still get to lay the bass lines down in the studio..

rojo412 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.