Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Lollar Special T vs Royal T neck

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by static111, Jan 1, 2018.

1. static111

static111 Tele-Meister

Aug 29, 2009
    Aiel Waste
    Who has either or both? My partscaster has a bridge special T that I ❤️. Wondering what would be best to pair it with? Looking for that roots rock sound ala Tom Petty to The Rolling Stones. Thanks for the help.

2. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    Spec-wise, it seems the only major difference is that one cover has a hole in the top and the other doesn't. Both being wound to ~6.3k with 42 AWG makes both very similar to a fatter Strat pickup. For example, a Texas Special Strat neck pickup is spec'd at 6.2k.

Lollar's '52 T neck is spec'd at 6.3k with 43 AWG and AlNiCo 2, which is like a Strat pickup wound to about 5.3k, so it would be substantially brighter than either of the above.

static111 likes this.

3. Widerange Hum

Widerange Hum Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

May 14, 2016
    San Diego, CA
    I've got the special T in the neck of my favorite tele. It's fantastic, and does roots rock tones great. The Royal is supposed to sound smoother, more strat-like.

static111 likes this.

4. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2012
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin
    I haven’t used those but I gather they’re supposed to be more strat like. For the strat like Neck pickups there are none better than the Fralin Blues Special.

static111 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.