Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Logo. want your opinions please

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by PonyExpress, Oct 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    deleted. double post

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That would definitely be sweet!

But I still stand by my nobody cares about Seguin, Texas opinion.

tery likes this.

3. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    we'll just have to agree to disagree

4. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    this forum software has some wonderful features

tery likes this.

5. mudimba

mudimba Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

May 19, 2015
    California
    You've got some actual designers adding their $.02 here, so I'll leave critique of the actual logo to them. I would suggest, however, that you draw your strings and string trees in the mockup.

6. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Holic

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    I was thinking that same thing. If you are married to the name, maybe just brand the Texas shape (I like the star in the middle of the state field) and waterslide the rest. If the whole logo is branded in, it would look kinda cheap and DIY, but if only one element of it is than that creates some depth to the design and gets you closer to having an identity.

I respectfully agree with the whole OCD thing, its sort of a bait and switch. People assume OCD means elevated attention to detail, over-engineering, a malady. Then they see "Old Cranky Dude" and they really aren't sure what to make of the whole thing. I would rethink that, and build on the Texas element. Grumpy's Ranch? (Hmm, what's wrong with Pony Express?) Whatever. You are getting there.

nojazzhere likes this.

7. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    It doesn’t take long nowadays until the bell curve of ‘useful opinion’ takes a downward turn...

There are lots of constructive, educated and experienced comments on this post (and forum generally) - pick and choose what you find helpful.

Satisfaction and pride is the end game. Don’t forget this is your project and it should represent the things that you find important and interesting :)

You’re heading in the right direction with your logo and I’m sure it will look mighty fine on your completed guitar :)

We all spend far too much of our lives getting dictated to and dismissed at work - I thought this place was a sanctuary against that kind of attitude. This is a creative and welcoming forum - it should remain that way :)

I’m a bit drunk. And I’ve just had McDonalds. I’m feeling emotional.

nojazzhere, Asmith and tery like this.

8. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    I couldn’t agree more.

nojazzhere likes this.

9. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    the string tree would probably go just under the g string tuner and strings will definitely go across the logo BUT I see that on all teles so I was thinking that was acceptable. No?

10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

You should know better then.... How dare I ......I spent half my life trying to teach others to treat people with respect. If I'm wrong here...I'll be the first to apologize.......

Mat UK likes this.

11. Oldgitplayer

Oldgitplayer Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2009
    Brit in Australia
    Fender make a great guitar and for a while they placed the decal in a good place. Look at a Broadcaster, and Esquire and the first Tele. The string tree was opposite the G string and the text was placed parallel to the tuners. Since they repositioned the string tree, the decal has always looked jammed in and crooked.

If I was creating a logo for a Tele headstock, I'd be looking to return to the parallel placement.

12. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    I really do appreciate the response from so many of you . I am however shocked at the feelings from some about the initials "OCD"

Sorry for the issue with "Texas Hater" .We from Texas are aware that we are hated by some. We can't help it we're totally awesome. (tongue planted firmly in cheek)

On another note, it just got real. Wood body blanks are here , I'll start a new thread. Stay tuned

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Durn, and me with no popcorn :(

14. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Holic

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Thanks, I'll be sure to keep a sharp eye out for someone actually attacking someone else. So far I haven't seen it.

To the OP. My state loves Texas, your like our little brother, ha ha.

Overall I like your work, and I agree that there's lots of good advice here. Even Ira had some good points. There's a fair amount of info out on the Web about important logos and the characteristics that they use to brand their product. Its also good to study guitar logos in general and try to pick up how they leverage their trademark with the consumer.

If you love the OCD thing, and more importantly, if its meaningful to you than keep it.

I'm building an amp right now and I made my own logo that I think I really like. It's really just riffing off of Leo's first company F&K Musical Instruments. So this is a really fun topic, and a highly subjective one.

logo.jpg

BorderRadio likes this.

15. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Interesting thread spiral.

OP, I’m a designer like half the folks on this thread, and I also agree with 99 percent of their advice. But this is your guitar dude, do as you wanna do with it. If you struggle with the logo part, and something tells you “it needs more” why don’t you let us design it for you? Nah? Ok then check this out:

Idea 1: Burn a big Tejas Star on it, or better yet, get the metal fabricator that makes all those property gates to make a small Star and screw that to the headstock
    Idea 2: Incorporate the state shape into said metalwork.
    Idea 3: Old Cranky Dude is too long of a name, and OCD Fulltone uses comic sans, so reboot: Dude Guitars.

JuneauMike likes this.

16. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    Borderradio. interesting idea with dude. I could incorporate jeff bridges face image from the big lebowski. I don't think he would mind, do you? LOL

it even lends itself to model names like
    "the dude" "the duder" " his dudeness" etc

17. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Holic

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Where are you from in Texas?

18. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Jeff City, Mo.
    I like the last version.

Ignore the haterz. ;)

19. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    Yup. Not enough separation between the state outline and the OCD.

20. TDPRI

TDPRI Administrator Staff Member

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    I removed 16 posts in this thread. Then I closed the thread.

We don't care if you think calling people inappropriate names is legitimate or not. It's simple. Show respect for all members and when you offend your fellow members and they point it out to you don't double down and tell them they are wrong.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.