Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Logo. want your opinions please

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by PonyExpress, Oct 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PonyExpress

PonyExpress TDPRI Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    Came up with this for my build.
    comments, advise, suggestions welcomed

headstock w logo.jpg

BadMojo and RodeoTex like this.

2. ponce

ponce Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2011
    Croatia
    I like Texas State border form, but I'd change the font (less or other serif) and bold the OCD part.

3. ponce

ponce Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2011
    Croatia
    And the small print should be other, sans serif simple type.

4. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    I like those suggestions. Also, personally I would put the made in part on the neck plate or maybe the back of the neck. I think it looks too "busy" on the headstock. I love the ocd over the texas part. Its a catchy name. Did you trademark it?

Skyo and bl28 like this.

5. bl28

bl28 TDPRI Member

Jul 5, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    OCD is already taken. Haha.

In my opinion, it's too much text - I'd simplify it with just the: OCD/Texas logo + Seguin, TX

nojazzhere and Jules78 like this.

6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Texas shape is nice. Agree with bolding the font, at least the OCD part.

Guessing it's gonna be hard to read the "Old Country Dude" part under the OCD letters too.

nojazzhere likes this.

7. Armo

Armo Tele-Meister

Nov 13, 2008
    Wales
    Reads QCD to me. I think your trying to pack too much info in there. Too busy maybe.

nojazzhere and Piggy Stu like this.

8. JustStartingOut

JustStartingOut Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I like it but it is too busy imo. Can you make the OCD fit better in the map (or maybe not use that at all, just the map and no OCD)? Maybe it will look different bolded or even a different color if possible, but it is just a bit off to my eye. I'd also like just the Old Cranky Dude and Hand Crafted in Seguin, TX...the Custom Guitars is too big and not needed (on the front anyway).

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

9. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    I like the logo.

But, I think that people using the term OCD in any context other than as a mental health diagnosis is distasteful.

10. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    I'd try to fit the text within the borders of the state, rather than on top of them.

11. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    I'm reading "Old Cranky Dude". If it should be "Country" you will need to change something.

upload_2017-10-4_17-28-44.png

12. speedingjet

speedingjet Tele-Meister

Hey, I've been an art director/designer for 20 years. There's a few things from a professional design nerd:

• The OCD in script – Script fonts are not meant to go all caps (ever – unless it is a regrettable tattoo). As initials, they are hard to read and should be avoided.

• Fonts that mimic hand writing but aren't are um, not the best choice. A little cutsey. Like a greeting card with a kitten with a speech bubble that says "I wuv U"

• I like the idea of using the Texas shape, but maybe you fill it in with black and have the OCD in a sans serif bold face knocking out of the black.
    I only say this as all of the lines and type are very thin. The area covered vs the density isn't really adding up.

These are just my suggestions. Not trying to be too hard on the design. Just some fundamentals at play.
    Design is a weird profession. There is more to it than you'd think. People go to school for this and work for years getting ground into a fine paste in high pressure entry level positions before learning enough to move up.
    Just because people have access to software that lets them make designs, doesn't mean that's all there is to it.

I could easily go out and buy some pipe cutters and a soldering torch, but that doesn't mean I'd know how to design and install a plumbing system in my house.
    But I could sure cut some pipes....

A good designer is no different than a good plumber. They look at what is needed vs what is available and come up with something that will work for as long as possible without becoming dated (or flooded).

Keep it up. You'd be surprised how many versions and iterations a logo or wordmark can go through before it's done.

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    +1 Yup, as a retired product design engineer I agree with everything speedingjet mentions. It is easy now to try various iterations of fonts, bold and fill of the Texas shape. Keep at it and you will hit the right combination. Overall, I like the layout and to me that is the hard part.

14. toomuch

toomuch TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Chicago
    ^^^I'm not a designer by any means but I agree with most (if not all) of this.

I'll also add that I happen to prefer the font printed outside of headstock design ("american 90s thin line") ;)

All critiques aside, best of luck with your endeavors!

15. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    To add as one also with over 20 years with visual design experience, I'd try to have some separation with Texas border and right edge of the letter D. Either inside or out. Having lines/form edges intersecting and/or going very close creates a hotspot sucking attention and bringing uneasy tension. And it does not also look very tidy most of the times. Naturally the effect can be used for the benefit of communication if used intentionally, but I presume that's not what you are looking for here.

There are best practices and rules in design like the ones expertly pointed out by Speedingjet but remember many things are a matter of taste and opinion too. I'm first to admit there are well designed stuff I don't just like and some with flaws that just do it for me.

When you love it it's just right! :)

Obsessed likes this.

16. Scaper2014

Scaper2014 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2014
    Stoke-On-Trent
    Looks very busy IMO, and as another person stated I think you could brand it "Old Country Guitars" :D

17. PonyExpress

PonyExpress TDPRI Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    its "old cranky dude"

18. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Mix two fonts but not more than three fonts, If one is serif then another needs to be san-serif. Make one italic the other regular. Sometimes you find two fonts that fit these parameters of differences yet seem to work together.

+1 on the Blocky OCD across the Texas logo, but put a Texas Star in the center of the C. The Texas State outline could start to become two lines one above one below. The star here might be too big, and the pan handle a little too squashed, but this is a general two minute example.

ocdlogo1.jpg

mgreene and JustStartingOut like this.

19. devrock

devrock TDPRI Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New England
    I think it's too much as well. I think you should stick with the logo. Maybe shrink the other parts and put on the back of the headstock.

20. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    I agrees with jvin - the letters need to go inside the borders. Overlapping makes the "OCD" unreadable.

You could just go with "Cranky Dude" - we assume you are old :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.