Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    About Bob’s Thinlines, I wrote him personally to give him my input, but since he’s added his “prototype” Thinline to his gallery photos, and because his Thinlines have been discussed here already, I’ll go ahead put my 2 cents in here and share with this club/thread what I said to Bob.

I think it’s great that Bob’s doing Thinlines. I’m interested…and my son-in-law may be as well. He was GASing for one last summer. He owns an Epiphone Black Beauty, but he loves my mahogany Tele. And his interest was in a Thinline, I think partly because he wanted a very clean, different sound in his next guitar and partly because of the weight of that Epi LP. I don’t know if he will be interested in this, or if the timing is wrong for him (his business is moving him to San Antonio in a few months, so he and my daughter both have a lot on their plates right now).

As for the cutout on the body, I’m not personally as keen on that “lightning bolt,” as Slick called it. As I told Bob, it’s snazzy, but it’s not me. I am sentimental about the look of the traditional “f-hole.” I first learned to play on a Harmony brand Archtone archtop guitar, so that traditional look always takes me to a good place. If I were to get a Thinline, I would want that traditional “f-hole” look.

Now, having said that, the idea of Bob using a cursive “L”—particularly his cursive “L” from his logo—for the cutout is really exciting. As sentimental as I am about the traditional f-hole, I might be tempted if Bob does a classy, unique script L for the body cutout on his Thinlines.

Another aspect I was not as keen on is the pickguard. I kind of like it, and I like much better than the PG on Fender Thinlines. I’ve never liked the look of that PG extending down to the lower bout. But I think I’d like it better if the guard extended all the way up that horn, like it does on other Teles. Does that make sense? In other words, the only trimming of the PG would be where it would otherwise be in the way of the cutout. What do y’all think?

2. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2003
    Tug Hill Plateau
    Thinline

I'm not a big thinline fan but I liked the color and the lightning bolt was cool.
    I don't like F holes at all.
    I think they look cheesy on a guitar like a tele.
    They are OK on a jazz box when there is 2 of 'em.
    That said.
    I would like a thinline with NO cutouts. :idea:
    I think that would be great.
    Nice & light.

JJ

3. Jammin'John

Mar 20, 2003
    Tug Hill Plateau
    Done

Here they are ! :D :eek: :cool:
    Thanks Bob.
    JJ

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009

4. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Such diversity of preference and personal taste is precisely why there are different models of guitars. Isn't it great that builders such as Bob can meet the demand?

Well, yeah, just like the old jazz box I learned on that implanted sentimental feelings for f-holes.

Now, THERE'S an idea! I could go for that, too.

5. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Oh, yeah! Great looking guitars, John. So, have they just arrived, then, or are these pics of the finished products sent from Bob?

As I said before, they're both beautiful, and that Black Walnut on Ash 2 x P-90 looks especially appealing to me. I love the color and the P-90s.

They are both striking, and going without pickguards really showcases the wood grains.

So, if they have actually arrived, how do they feel? Sound? Play?

6. Jammin'John

Mar 20, 2003
    Tug Hill Plateau
    Next Week

I won't get them untill next week but they are done.
    The walnut one that you like is kinda heavy at 8 1/2 #'s.
    The other one is a feather at 6 1/2 #'s.
    Nice & big necks as well.
    Lots of Birdseye candy. :cool:

JJ

7. telecaster man

telecaster man Tele-Holic

Dec 31, 2008
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

i was looking at the info on you and it says you have a gretsch guitar...i have the White Falcon....small world

8. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Oh, man, THANKS for that! In your post earlier today, you provided 4 great pics, and yet I found myself wanting to ask for more, ones that showed the necks. I was tempted post a request for more pics, but I thought "Nah, that's just greedy!" :D

Well, you not only posted another pic of that beautiful walnut for me to drool over, and that from a great angle that shows off both neck and body, but you also posted that...as you put it..."Birdseye candy." Delicious! ;)

8 and a half lbs. is still lighter than my mahogany Tele; she weighs in a 9 lbs. 2 oz. But she feels great. I played for nearly 2 hours straight yesterday without even noticing the weight. She's just too much fun. :D

Be sure to let us know when they come in and how they feel, play and sound.

P.S. I do like both the Black Walnut and the Swamp Ash one, they're both beautiful guitars, but admittedly that Walnut just stops me in my tracks!

9. Jammin'John

Mar 20, 2003
    Tug Hill Plateau
    Sweet

telecaster man said :
    "was looking at the info on you and it says you have a gretsch guitar...i have the White Falcon....small world" :confused: :?:

ReRead the info.
    I have a Gretsch Orange G&L ASAT Classic Custom.
    WAY different animal.

8 and a half lbs. is still lighter than my mahogany Tele; she weighs in a 9 lbs. 2 oz. But she feels great. I played for nearly 2 hours straight yesterday without even noticing the weight. She's just too much fun.

Yea,I'm bein' a baby. :oops:
    8 1/2 #'s with belly & arm cuts will be just fine.
    Of course 6 1/2 #'s of swamp ash heaven is hard to beat !

Be sure to let us know when they come in and how they feel, play and sound.

You and BOB want to know.
    I want these guitars to BLOW MY MIND !

P.S. I do like both the Black Walnut and the Swamp Ash one, they're both beautiful guitars, but admittedly that Walnut just stops me in my tracks!

I have a special place in my heart for the swamp ash one.
    I've gigged with it since 2001.
    Bob shaved a bunch of wood off it and gave me belly & arm cuts and transformed it into a different kind of Tele for me.

I'm using 5 of the possible 7 sounds on it.
    I just got a sweet case for it and I'm waiting.

JJ

10. slickschoppers

slickschoppers Tele-Holic

Sep 13, 2008
    Iowa
    LOL

when I ordered mine I SPECIFICALLY told bob that I wanted a HEAVY guitar. mine is 11.8 pounds!!!

I LOVE IT!!

11. jmcw

jmcw TDPRI Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Dang! I thought mine was heavy at 9.1lbs! That thing will probably sustain for days :)

12. telecaster man

telecaster man Tele-Holic

Dec 31, 2008
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
    I went today and had the mighty mite pickups on my Logan Bass takenout and had seymour duncan vintage ones put in....man what a difference in sound...i also had covers put over the pickups and the bridge...do they look nice....looks really vintage now.....will put a pic on when i get one takes...maybe tomorrow...

Sanford

13. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Unlike Slick, who will probably collapse under the weight after 20 mins!! ;)

14. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

Mar 13, 2009
    Greenfield, WI
    I don't own a Logan, but I just played one this past Tuesday. I live in the in one of the Millwaukee 'burbs, and the place I go to for my Gretsch guitar stuff (Warp Drive Music), sells Logan Guitars. Bob Logan lives in Delafield, which is only about 15 miles from me. I like Thinlines, so the guys at Warp Drive, gave me one of these to put through it's paces:

[​IMG]

It sure played good. Now I'm one of those weirdos who loves to play at high gain. :D Sooo, I ran it through a half stack. It sounded great! Not only did it have tons of grind, but it had this wonderful chime, that made it sound oh so multidimensional. I wish I'd had the cash, I would have bought it.

15. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

That lightning bolt is starting to grow on me. :oops:

16. Jammin'John

Mar 20, 2003
    Tug Hill Plateau
    Lightning

I like the bolt.
    Even better with NO cutout at all ! :D

JJ

17. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

Welcome to our club, Ellen. This is definitely *not* a "Testosterone Tele Only" club. ;)

Good to have you chiming in, especially when you have such an interesting background. I read in your Welcome Wagon post about your grandfather being an acoustic luthier that made your first guitar. Very cool! :cool: That factoid makes your input here all the more apropos.

I don't know if Sanford (telecaster man) has noticed your reference to Gretsch guitars yet, but you'll probably hear from him when he does. He's got a White Falcon that is his #1. (Oops! I guess I just stole some of his thunder. Sorry, Sanford. :oops:)

Thanks for that review of Bob's Thinlines. Enjoyed it.

18. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

Mar 13, 2009
    Greenfield, WI
    Thanks! I've been wanting a Tele (again!) as a different sound from my Gretsches (my #1 axe is a G6120SHLTV Brian Setzer Hot Rod in limed gold). From the input I had in my "suggestions for a Tele" thread (I don't want to travel down the same frustrating road tonewise I did with my last Tele [a Squier Affinity]), I've pulled the trigger and went with my gut feeling. Since the majority of the guitars I've played over the last 25 years have been semi-hollowbodies (although I now have a newfound love for hollowbodies thanks to my Brian Setzer Hot Rod), I bought a Squier Vintage Modified Tele Thinline online from Chicago Music Exchange's eBay store yesterday. It should arrive at work (from my personal experience, UPS sucks for residential shipping) by Monday or Tuesday.

How I tried out the Logan Thinline is kind of goofy. I stopped off at Warp Drive Music to ask if they could install some Dynasonic pickups in my other Gretsch (a G1629 Synchromatic Red Sparkle Jet w/f-hole). I beginning to find like many other Gretsch-heads, that the Gretschbuckers (which are Gibson sized unlike Filtertrons) are kind of blah. The electronics part of putting in the pickups is peanuts for me. But since they are dissimilar in size to the Gretschbuckers, mounting the Dynasonics (which are single coils) might be a problem. I don't have the tooling (I live in an apartment) to make new mounting hardware, so I wanted find out if the guitar tech at Warp Drive Music could determine if it was a doable proposition to do the pickup swap (hardly aybody puts Dynasonics in Gretschbucker equipped guitars).

While I was there, I mentioned that I was in the market for a Tele (preferrably a Thinline). Warp Drive is a Fender Custom Shop Dealer, but they had no Thinlines (and the one Custon Shop Tele they had was waaaaayyy out of my price range). But it was mentioned that they'd gotten in a thinline Tele-type, made by a local luthier, and would I like to give it a test drive? I said sure. When I saw the lightning bold soundhole on the Logan, all I could think was "what a trip!" It was very well made, with vintage style compensated brass saddles. The finish was a thin nitrocellulose lacquer, that showed the body's grain. It didn't weigh a ton like some Teles I've tried. Like I've mentioned in other posts, I'm a gain hound ampwise (OK, let the eye rolling begin! :D). I plugged into a Marshall Vintage Modified, and it sounded awfull!! Shrill, spikey, and blatty come to mind. Considering that I have yet to find a guitar that sounds decent through a Marshall Vintage Modified (I thought I'd give it one more try - forget it!, at high gain, they all seem to sound blatty like a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe running in the More Drive Mode), I went looking for another amp. I plugged into a Randall RG100 G3 hybrid (tube pre-amp, solid state power amp) out of furstration. I tried the Logan clean - hey!, nice chicken pickin' tones (riffs from "Folsom Prison Blues" sounded nice and spanky!)!. Then I went to the deal maker/breaker for me with a guitar - serious overdrive. I've dealt with single coils when running mega gain in the past, so I dropped the treble down to about 5 or so. Whoah!! Nice grind, but with great note definition. No shrillness, clank when playing percussively (such as palm muting), and wonderful high end sparkle. It sounded like (to coin a phrase) country metal! VERY cool! I wanted to keep on playing, but I had to get going. Besides, I didn't want to be like those annoying little twits that go to Guitar Center just to play the Brootalz on a guitar they'll never buy.

It really was a great guitar - But I just couldn't afford it.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009

19. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Ellen, another enjoyable post. You communicate well your musical tastes and experiences.

So, I'm curious...do you like the "lightning bolt" or not? It seems to be something of a mixed review. I'm not quite sure what you meant to convey with the thought "what a trip!" Since you say it was a great guitar, then does that mean you like the cutout on it as well?

20. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

Mar 13, 2009
    Greenfield, WI
    Hi Larry. At first I thought the lightning it was a little weird, but not in an ugly way - just different. That's what I meant by "what a trip!" As in like, "wow!, that's funky!" I've seen guitars that looked far worse. Actually the lightning bolt kind of grew on me. John, Warp Drive's Gretsch guru (whom I usually deal with) thought it looked ridiculous (although, I did see him trying out the guitar when I was leaving). Another salesman at the place, thought the lighting bolt looked cool, and gave the guitar some attitude. He said that if he had the money for the guitar, he'd like to buy it. The neck was really cool - kind of like a modified V profile. My Gretsch Brian Setzer Hot Rod has a similar neck profile, so I'm quite familiar with playing on that kind of neck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.