Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. telecaster man

telecaster man Tele-Holic

Dec 31, 2008
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Hey Larry...a number of years ago when i was on the road....there were different lengths of sweat bands.....some could be gotten that went up the arm aways....what i did in the case of the arm was usually take a short towel with me or some short cloth and lay over the place on my arm and against the guitar where i sweat and let it soak the sweat up....it worked for me....but i am weird anyway

Sanford

2. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

STL52 Five-Two Bridge Pickup

When Bob built my Logan, I asked for SD 5-2's in both positions; today I gave the STL 5-2 Bridge Pup a work out, and was blown away!

My chain ran:

Logan > Keeley TS9 (in 808 mode) > Lightning

You have to watch your treble on the Lightning, so I was impressed how the 5-2 gave loads of chime and background harmonics while never succumbing to icepick.....although I got close a few times when twiddling above the 12th fret.

This pup really blew me away when I kicked in the TS9, it went to a whole new level, I'd never known from a bridge pup. I was doing a cheeky little blues riff (crossroads or something) when a 7th fret G string full bend nearly caused me to have a personal accident as multiple beautiful harmonics came in behind the note. This was reproduced all around the neck to different degrees (almost like a really subtle octaver, is the only way to describe it).

Now I've had this pedal > amp combo for a while, same settings, with my Strat running through it....but this was beautiful to hear... Unbelievable ....Its a high quality chain, but unless I put other pups in my Logan I won't know for sure how much of this tone comes from the pup and how much from the guitar.

Stoked. Beautiful clean chime and awesome blues tone off the bridge pup(!!!!) when driven.

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

Thanks, bluesmanmartin, I appreciate that. This forum can be a wonderful place. It's great that we can get ideas and inspiration from one another. If you ever decide to go with a Logan, we'd sure welcome your comments, pics and reviews here.

BTW, I must confess I'm not familiar with Nash guitars. Is there are website to go to?

4. telecaster man

Dec 31, 2008
    nashguitars.com

5. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Tonemonkey, I've been meaning to tell you (yesterday was a busy day for me), that was an excellent review of the Seymour Duncan 5/2 bridge pup in your Logan.

I was particularly intrigued by the fact that you were getting "awesome blues tone off the bridge pup(!!!!) when driven." I don't play blues through the bridge pup on my Logan (a Wilkinson vintage Tele bridge pup). BTW & FWIW, I have my own arrangement of Robert Johnson's "Cross Road Blues," and I play it clean through my neck pup (a Wilkinson P-90).

Anyway, your review was very nicely done; helpful attention to detail, useful information. Thanks.

6. hatsokay

hatsokay TDPRI Member

Mar 9, 2009
    minnesota
    Hello im trying to date a tele,anyone there?

7. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2003
    Tug Hill Plateau
    Logan Tele's

Bob's building me a 2 x P-90,Northern Ash Tele. Black Walnut.
    He is making another custom out of a 1 piece swamp ask body I sent him.

JJ

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009

8. Tonemonkey

Mission accomplished. Post self-destructed.
    :twisted:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009

9. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Wow, John...just, WOW!!!

They're both beautiful!

That 2 x P-90 looks especially appealing to me. I love P-90s. And is that a Northern Ash body with a Black Walnut cap?

What kind of pups is that Swamp Ash going to have?

Welcome to the forum and the Logan Custom Guitar Club, you lucky dog!

10. Jammin'John

Mar 20, 2003
    Tug Hill Plateau
    LG

Hi,
    How are you doing ?

That's northern ash with a black walnut stain.Lightened somewhat.
    2 Duncan Vintage Soapbars with a 4 way switch.
    Birdseye 22 jumbo fret strat neck.Belly & arm cuts.Locking tuners.

My old swampash guitar is one piece of ultralight swamp ash.
    Further lightened by mr. logan. 22 jumbo fret birdseye strat neck with locking tuners.
    Belly & arm cuts.
    In the neck she's gettin' a Seth Lover vintage PAF and in the bridge a Duncan P-Rail.

I'm not using all the P-Rail combinations.There are 4 sounds in a P-Rail.
    The sounds will be.
    1-Seth
    2-Seth & parallel humbucker (like a knarly,2 different coil,PAF)
    3-Seth & P-90
    4-P-90
    5-series humbucker (big,fat,over the top output)

JJ

11. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Hey, John ~

Interesting. I have seen from Bob's site that he works with Black Walnut wood, and that he has a "Walnut on Ash" stain/color. But I haven't seen a "Black Walnut" color/stain on his site. Is this a custom color Bob's come up with at your request?

Sure would like to hear sound clips of those pups played in the different positions.

I love Birdseye Maple necks. Mine is also a Birdseye, a Tele neck with 21 medium jumbo frets. Judging from the necks on both of your guitars, it looks like you favor Strat necks.

It looks like you also favor belly and arm cuts, or at least that was your choice for both of these Logans.

It looks and sounds like you are getting instruments customized precisely to your liking. It's amazing that Bob offers that and quality workmanship and reasonable prices.

12. telecaster man

Dec 31, 2008
    I was talking to Bob on the phone yesterday....later..in the spring..when he can get some more swamp ash...he is going to make me a strat style guitar....natural of course....and later when i can afford it i think i am going to also get him to make me one of those thinline ones he advertised

Sanford

13. slickschoppers

slickschoppers Tele-Holic

Sep 13, 2008
    Iowa
    thinlines

a Strat would be KOOl..

I like the idea of the thinlines that he is advertising with ONE exception....

I don't like the lightning bolt cutout.... just don't like it at all. the lightning bolt cutout looks cheesy, kind of heavy metal, skull and crossbones, or skull fret kind of thing.

I'm guessing he is not doing the traditional "F" hole to make it look different, but the lightning bolt just doesn't do it for me. on that one I would have to pass,,,,, Unless he can cut a different design into the top.

I would like to see is a cursive "L" for logan... that I would like.

14. Tonemonkey

When he emailed to customers asking for comment that is exactly what I said to him, including using his L.....he didn't reply.....guess he's quite busy.:cry:

15. telecaster man

Dec 31, 2008

Bob would probably make it to your specs....that is what custom means...i personally like the lightening boldt....but the L is appealing also

16. telecaster man

Dec 31, 2008

i phoned him from here in Toronto....we chatted for a bit...i am doing some free advertising for him here on Kijiji...and you are right he doesn't answer very often on the email...that's why when i want something...i phone him....but i have free long distance anywhere in north america...24/7

17. Jammin'John

Mar 20, 2003
    Tug Hill Plateau
    Custom

Interesting. I have seen from Bob's site that he works with Black Walnut wood, and that he has a "Walnut on Ash" stain/color. But I haven't seen a "Black Walnut" color/stain on his site. Is this a custom color Bob's come up with at your request?

No.
    I asked bob for a dark brown with no yellow in it and he came up with black walnut.It didn't darken up 'till the second coat.

Sure would like to hear sound clips of those pups played in the different positions.

I have no idea how that's done.
    The vintage soapbars are the old sound from 1946.
    A little microphonic because they are NOT potted.
    They go from sweet & mellow to nasty and are more transparent sounding than ceramic magnet ones. The real deal.
    They are made the old way for the exact old sound.

I love Birdseye Maple necks. Mine is also a Birdseye, a Tele neck with 21 medium jumbo frets. Judging from the necks on both of your guitars, it looks like you favor Strat necks.

No.
    Well,I favor G&L guitars,and my ASAT's have vintage curve & big frets.
    I have the strat neck on because it is much more figured birdseye than the 21fret tele neck that bob sells. A LOT more figuring ! Abalone markers as well.
    The headstock is larger than a tele's and shows off all that birdseye.
    The frets are jumbo instead of medium jumbo as well. 22 frets.
    All great features that I like.

It looks like you also favor belly and arm cuts, or at least that was your choice for both of these Logans.

I do love the comfort of a strat body. Don't like strats.
    It fits my old frame like a broken in glove.

It looks and sounds like you are getting instruments customized precisely to your liking.

Very true.
    My old guitar body is down to 3 1/2 #'s after bob removed all that wood !
    She's gonna be very light & very sweet. One piece of swamp ash.
    The Seth Lover neck pup is very nice in a tele. Also microphonic.
    The sound of 1955.
    Very clear,open,and airy sound. NOT high output.
    The P-Rail has got a REAL alnico V P-90 and ia also a very sweet vintage humbucker.

The walnut one is a little heavier than I like (5 1/2#'s) but bob removed as much wood as possible for me.
    Northern ash has BIG TONE !

I'm very jazzed.
    I don't buy guitars very often so this is a MAJOR thrill for me.

JJ

18. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    About Bob's responses to emails, in my experience he replies to my emails, but it usually takes at least a day to hear from him. I can well believe that he is busy. Jammin'John1 is doing a pretty good job of keeping him busy! :p And in the last week, I have referred 2 people to Bob.

Come to think of it, it sometimes takes me as much as a day or so to reply to emails, depending on what's going on in my life.

When we were communicating about the making of my mahogany Tele, Bob was very prompt in his replies, whether by phone or via email. But I noticed even then that he seemed to prefer talking on the phone to emails.

I'm sure others have noticed that Bob's written communiqués often contain spelling and/or grammatical errors. In verbal conversation he is well-versed and articulate. Perhaps that is why he seems to prefer phone conversations to emails.

I, on the other hand, often prefer written communication.

But than, I is from Texas, y'all. Speling adn grammer is one of mah best thangs. ;) :lol:

19. telecaster man

Dec 31, 2008

Larry you worry me...:)

20. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    LOL! That's not the first time I've heard THAT one, Sanford! :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.