Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I played last night at a church. One of the residents at one of the seniors communities I play for has a son that lives in a small town nearby. And I guess they were hard up for some special Christmas music, so he invited me to share at his church. It was in the church's fellowship hall, with the members sitting at the various tables, about three dozen or so people.

I used the occasion to tell the story of "Stille Nacht," as it was originally known, and still known in Germany. Of course, in the English speaking world, we know it as "Silent Night." I shared the story because it was first performed (on guitar, no less) 200 years ago this Christmas Eve. So it seemed appropriate to share the story and the song. It's an interesting story. If you're not familiar with it, it's worth your time to read up on it.

I played it fingerstyle and sang it in the original German, then in Greek, then Spanish and then, of course, English. Oh, and of course, the guitar I played was my Logan Custom tele acoustic/electric, going into my Fishman Loudbox Mini.

06-01-2018 - My Logan Custom acoustic-electric & Fishman Loudbox Mini.jpeg

horax, voodooblues and brookdalebill like this.
  2. LGOberean

I had my first cringe moment with my Logan Custom Challenger. Some may remember this as the guitar I came home with after visiting Bob and Margie Logan in Wisconsin this past September. Here I am with it in Bob's basement shop.
    Me trying out the Logan Custom Challenger, 2 - 09-05-2018.jpg

Now, on with the story...

Anyway, like I said, earlier today I had my first "cringe moment" with this guitar. I knocked it off it's stand and it landed face down on the oak floor in my office/man cave! :eek::cry:

I have diabetic neuropathy, and both feet are always a little numb. Plus, I was wearing boots, so when I was walking away from my guitar on its stand, I couldn't tell that the instrument cable was wrapped around my ankle. So I pulled the guitar and its stand down. I even pulled the amp it was plugged into over on its face. Definitely cringed when I did it.

I immediately picked it up and inspected it. I couldn't find a scratch on it. The only thing wrong was that the selector switch is slightly bent. Well, I also had to tweak the tuning, but not much. I plugged it in and tested it, no problems at all with the functionality of the switch. It just now looks a little whompyjawed.

Bob makes solid guitars. I've included some more pictures that I took this evening after the accident. I don't think the bent switch is all that noticeable.
    My Logan Custom Challenger, 12-22-2018 - 2.jpeg My Logan Custom Challenger, 12-22-2018 - 3.jpeg My Logan Custom Challenger, 12-22-2018 - 4.jpeg

3. Bob Logan

Bob Logan Tele-Meister

Hi, would like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas. Please have a safe and Happy New Year. And all the best in 2019 Bob

LGOberean likes this.
  4. gwmican

gwmican TDPRI Member

Merry Christmas to you too Bob, and everyone else in the forum!

LGOberean likes this.
  5. telecaster man

telecaster man Tele-Holic

Merry Christmas Everyone

LGOberean likes this.
  6. eddy jaye

eddy jaye TDPRI Member

Merry Christmas to all my American friends.

LGOberean likes this.
  7. LGOberean

Yes, Merry Christmas, everyone.
    12-22-2016 - Christmas party at GE.jpg

horax, Bob Logan and gwmican like this.
  8. horax

horax Tele-Holic

Bob, I’m only going to say this once: chrome dome volume and tone knobs on that orange guitar!

9. LGOberean

Are you referring to my Logan Custom Challenger in Orange Haze above? Interesting idea. I'm trying to envision chrome dome knobs on it, but I really like the white strat style knobs it has now. Coordinates well with the white base coat of the body as well as the white mounting rings around the humbuckers.

horax likes this.
  10. LGOberean

Our youngest daughter Jessica, her husband Chris (an owner of a Logan Custom "Logo" thinline) and their 10 children (4 by birth, 6 a by adoption) were here yesterday evening for Christmas. I didn't have the presence of mind to take a family portrait like photo of the bunch, but this is close to it. They're all in this pic, even if not all their faces are showing...
    12-25-2018 - 8.jpg

Ten of my eleven guitars are on hangers in that living room, and I had the Logan Custom Challenger (the most recent acquisition for which I do not yet have a hanger) in the room as well. After gifts were opened and supper was behind us, a half dozen or more of the grandkids started asking to play my guitars, and Chris and Jessica got in on the fun as well. (Jessica played some as a teenager, but was always more of a singer.) I wasn't taking pics because I was distributing guitars and answering questions. Beth took a few pics, but didn't capture all of the guitar playing action. Here's what we've got...
    12-25-2018 - AJ with my Jim Dandy.jpg 12-25-2018 - AJ, Jessica, Brady, Ethan, Jordan, Malachi & Corbin.jpg 12-25-2018 - Jessica & Brady.jpg

Our son and oldest daughter and their respective families are coming later, they couldn't make it on Christmas Day. So we have that to look forward to as well. My cup runneth over...

teletimetx likes this.
  11. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Wow, 10 children? They have enough for a full baseball team as well as a band with full horn section!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using TDPRI forum mobile app

LGOberean likes this.
  12. LGOberean

Happy New Year, my fellow Logan Custom owners and enthusiasts! May you all have a safe and prosperous year in 2019...and maybe a new Logan Custom, as well! :twisted:
    [​IMG]

voodooblues and djh22 like this.
  13. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Happy New Year to all. May 2019 bring joy and happiness.

[​IMG]

voodooblues and LGOberean like this.
  14. LGOberean

Okay, I haven't talked about New Year's resolutions yet, but one of them is going to be getting my guitars worked on. Since I have 11 guitars, I tend to put off maintenance/repairs and just pick up another guitar instead. There is a guy I've used locally for a re-fret that did a fine job, so I should trust him for things like changing a switch, setups, etc.

But getting things arranged has proven to be problematic. He lives 25-30 minutes away from me, which is not an insurmountable problem, but does complicate things. The bigger issue is he's busy with his day job. He is an associate professor of biology and anatomy & physiology at a local junior college. Working on guitars is a passion in his life. In his early years he worked at a local family-owned (father/son/grandson) music store. So again, he's good, but it's a side business. Every time (except for that one re-fret) I've tried to arrange something, it goes awry: missed calls, slow to respond to texts, etc. So it's less about not having confidence in his work, and more about not having confidence in the wait time/overall time for the project.

What's motivating me to push through on this is my Logan Custom mahogany. It hasn't had so much as a set up since the house fire in 2010. And the 3-way switch isn't working. Lots of crackle when switching positions, but the real problem is I can only get the neck position to fully engage. Sometimes I get both pickups in the middle position, but I haven't successfully gotten just the bridge pickup by itself in I don't know how long. So I kind of leave it neck position, and since that's a P-90, I use it for getting a good growl out of that pup. Today I tuned to open G and played "Honky Tonk Women" with slide. It was so much fun I wanted to play my mahogany some more, but again, pickup selection was scratchy, sketchy and limited.

I want to be able to use this "Guitar Surgeon." That's a nickname he picked up years ago. He teaches A&P, used to be a surgical assistant in San Antonio, and works on guitars. As I remember the story, he was once getting set to do a re-fret on a guitar with a bound fretboard. As he was carefully removing the binding with a scalpel (or some scalpel-like instrument, the guy looking over his shoulder came up with the "Guitar Surgeon" nickname. It stuck.

Oh, and I want to use him too because his name is Bob Long. It's silly, I know, :rolleyes: but I think it's a great coincidence and pretty funny that his name is one letter shy of "Bob Logan." :)

15. LGOberean

Just started the week by looking again at Bob's website. A new guitar (or one I haven't noticed before now, anyway) on there is what Bob has called a Richie Kotzen tele. That caught my attention because I watch a lot of videos of Kotzen/The Winery Dogs; Kotzen's playing intrigues me, in no small part because Kotzen doesn't use a pick, he plays with his fingers. (And another point of interest about this is Bob also prefers to play guitar sans plectrum. I learned this in my visit with him last September.)

It's interesting to me that this guitar by Bob is not a complete clone of the Richie Kotzen Signature Tele. (I'm assuming Kotzen has more than one Tele, but his Signature is the one he's known for.) The neck profile, fretboard radius and material, color scheme and controls are all different. Both are ash bodies, but the main similarity between the two is the pickups: DiMarzio Chopper T in the bridge, Twang King in the neck. Most here probably know by now that my Logan Custom BSB has a set of DiMarzio Twang Kings in it, and they're my favorite pickups. Also, my BSB has a 4-way switch in it, so I have that Parallel/Series option like Kotzen's Signature.

16. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the update, Larry! Seems like we've always been able to count on you to keep us up to speed on the excellent work that Bob Logan does.

I just noticed on one page of his site that Bob has spelled "Kotzen" as "Lotzen" - perhaps you could get in touch with him and find out if that's intentional or not...the misspelling appears only on the page that has all his current available guitars, not the specific page for that guitar:
    http://logancustomguitars.com/guitars-custom-crafted-electric.html
    RITCHIE LOTZEN DELUXE
    TELE S-N-18925
    ELECTRIC GUITAR

btw, still enjoying my Logan tele-style that I call "Root Beer"...just a joy to play - has a 5-way switch, seymour duncans and classic 3-saddle bridge. Pure telecaster goodness.

thanks again for all you do, Larry!

LGOberean likes this.
  17. LGOberean

I noticed that typo. Well, I assumed it was a typo and not intentional. I've noticed other typos/misprints/whatever, such as a jazzmaster body style being referred to as a tele, etc. It always seems clear in context what was meant, so I've never brought it up to Bob. Of course, Bob is a member of TDPRI, and he reads posts here and posts himself on rare occasions, so I think you just alerted him to the spelling issue. :twisted:

Oh, and Bill, I haven't forgotten about "Root Beer." I'm picturing that beauty in my head as I'm typing this, and always welcome seeing pics again. And I took from your naming scheme when I got my Logan Custom acoustic/electric tele style. The top is ash, the back is mahogany, so A&M led to the name "Aggie." :twisted:
    01-09-2018 - Logan Custom acoustic-electric - 2.jpeg 01-09-2018 - Logan Custom acoustic-electric - 4.jpeg

teletimetx likes this.
  18. LGOberean

I played a gig this afternoon, using "Aggie," my Logan Custom tele style acoustic/electric, with my Fishman Loudbox Mini amp. Since my post previous to this one, as well as the one at the top of this page of our epic discussion thread/club, shows pictures of the guitar and the amp, I won't include the same pics here.

I find myself gigging with this rig most of the time now. Today, I was even more jazzed than usual to be taking this guitar to a gig, because of FMIC's new acoustic/electric unveiled today. No, my Logan Custom a/e doesn't have a Noiseless Tele bridge pickup, or a new Fishman preamp system designed to model different acoustic guitars. But Aggie is a wonderfully light, beautiful guitar that sounds great through my Loudbox Mini and fits the bill for most all of the gigs I play for seniors here in Corpus Christi. And I've got a Valentine's Day gig coming up, and I'll be taking Aggie for acoustic/electric stuff, and either my BSB or the Firecaster as my Tele de jour (de nuit?).

As I was writing this, I wanted to post a pic of my playing Aggie, but I've realized that I don't have such a pic. I'll have to check and see if Beth has taken one.

19. LGOberean

Bob's got a couple of thinlines on his site that I'm curious about. (No, I'm not going to buy them. :rolleyes: I've got something else in mind for my next Logan Custom.)

Both have a chambered mahogany body, and both have a solid maple cap. But then they also have a 1/4" top, one is figured Bubinga, the other bookmatched Pauduk. So what is the difference between a "cap" and a "top"? What's the reasoning behind having both a cap and a top? What are the benefits?

I know this is really a question for Bob, but I need to head out the door to an afternoon gig, and I was already on TDPRI. I hope Bob will answer here. If not, I'll get in touch personally. In the meantime, y'all can talk amongst yourselves. And oh, yeah, here are the links to those guitars...

http://logancustomguitars.com/elect...-custom-babinga-thinline-electric-guitar.html

http://logancustomguitars.com/electric-guitars-for-sale/69-Pauduak-thinline-tele-S-N-18910-009.html

20. Bob Logan

Bob Logan Tele-Meister

Hi, it’s interesting why I choose to add the maple between the body and the top. I was told that maple adds a bit more sustain, but I did it mainly for the looks. I did notice a bit more brightness in the tone, but could be a result of the mahogany body. Both guitars are chambered which may change the tone to some degree also. Anyway, both guitars are great players, and somewhat unique. Bob

Mike Finn, mfguitar and LGOberean like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.