Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. RonS

RonS Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2011
    Amsterdam, NY
    Can't wait for the review Larry! I've been gassing for one of those!

RonS

2. TeleMatter

TeleMatter TDPRI Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cincinnati
    LGO, those acoustic/elects do look cool. Yes,plz post about it (I’m curious), and your impressions of using it live. Thx, and good luck on the gig!

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Hey, Ron, good to hear from you again! Yeah, I'll get to it as soon as I can. Beth and I are about to take one of her midwifery apprentices to supper, so it'll be later before I'm back home. Also, I took 5 pics and have tried to get them from my phone to my desktop computer, but they've disappeared into cyberspace. Oh, well, I'll get Beth to help her technologically challenged husband when we get back.

Will do, Barry.

4. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Okay, just got back home, and as I’m typing this, Beth is sending me pics taken of the guitar. Now for the back story…

I’ve been thinking for some time about these, really ever since Bob introduced his acoustic/electrics. Most of my playing for seniors’ communities is done on one of my Logan teles, usually either the Firecaster or the BSB. And the amp I most often use is my Fishman Loudbox Mini, which has both instrument and mic channels. It sounds okay, but it’s not the best tone that way; it’s so much better when I play one of my Breedlove acoustic/electrics (both of which have Fishman electronics) through that amp. But the teles are so much easier to play, and the load-in with the tele and the Loudbox Mini is so convenient, that I just go with that, and don’t carry a separate amp for guitar anymore.

So last month I talked to Bob about his acoustic/electrics. I've often thought that one of those with its Fishman electronics would give me not only the look, feel and play-ability of a Logan tele, but also the rich acoustic tone for which the Loudbox Mini was voiced. I wanted the tele-style body. The top on mine is ash, the back is mahogany with a center strip. The body and neck are done in satin clear lacquer. The body is completely hollow except for one center brace. It has the vintage style split shaft tuners, which I like. And this is one Bob had in stock.

It shipped out on New Year’s Day, and arrived last night. When Beth saw it as I unboxed it, she exclaimed, “It’s beautiful!” And it is. My every experience with Bob’s guitars is that pics don’t do them justice, and this one is certainly no exception to that rule. Beautiful wood grains, and I really like that bridge; very artistic.

And it’s every bit as playable as my other Logans, and obviously this is the lightest one I have. I’ve played it unplugged some, but I also played it plugged into the Mini a bunch earlier today before my gig, so I could get accustomed to what setting on the amp I’d need. It was a breeze to play today at my gig.

The only thing I’ll change is the strings. At the time Bob shipped it, he said he was out of phosphor bronze, so it has nickel/steel plated strings on it. I’ve played D’Addario phosphor bronze strings on acoustics for years, so I’ll replace the ones on it. I’ve got two more gigs this week, and I’ll take this new guitar to both of those gigs.

Beth helped me with the pics, so here they are…

horax and RonS like this.

5. TeleMatter

TeleMatter TDPRI Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cincinnati
    Larry, your wife was right... that IS a beaut! I'm wondering how resonant it is acoustically (considering the smaller "electric guitar" dimensions)? Is it neck heavy at all? It sure looks nice, and it has to be one of the best playing acoustics you've played. Nice job, Bob!

Thx for posting.:)

6. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Barry, the body woods are plenty resonant, but of course it doesn’t project well unplugged. Actually, it’s a little louder than I expected. I guess before I got this in my hands, my point of reference for Logan Custom volume unplugged was my Logans, particularly the “Logo” Thinline (semi-hollow construction, obviously) and my “Firecaster,” which is chambered. I’ve played both of them unplugged at home plenty of times.

But being fully hollow, my tele acoustic has a tad more volume. But of course, the depth of the body is the standard depth of a tele, so it just doesn’t have the volume and projection of a dreadnought, or even a Breedlove Concert (comparable to a Martin OM in size). Another surprise to me was that unplugged it kind of has the voice of a parlor guitar. You know, that emphasized midrange, light on the low end, “nasal honk.”

But I didn’t want this guitar for playing at a beach bonfire; I wanted it for an acoustic sound through an acoustic guitar amp, in a size that is convenient to load in to gigs, that plays as well as one of Bob’s teles. And I must say, after yesterday’s gig, mission accomplished. And it’s the most satisfying of my Logan guitars to play unplugged at night.

Is it neck heavy? Yes, a little bit. When I stand up with it strapped around my shoulder, the neck does dive a bit. But it’s not too bad; just holding it in your hands, it doesn’t feel horribly mismatched. And unless I’m only performing a song or two as guest on the local opry show or something, I play my gigs sitting down. So it’s not an issue for me.

And yes, it’s a looker. I’ve never had an acoustic with an ash top before, but the wood grains are beautiful. And I love the mahogany back; it’s just beautiful. I’m a big fan of mahogany for guitars as a tone wood and aesthetically. Both of my dreadnoughts have mahogany backs and sides. Even my first Logan Custom has a solid mahogany body. Just from the standpoint of aesthetics alone, I’m proud to own this guitar.

7. TeleMatter

TeleMatter TDPRI Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cincinnati
    Larry,

Thanks for the review/info. Sounds like you have a winner acoustic! The photos really do look nice. I asked about the neck heaviness because I have an archtop (Eastman El Rey 2) that is a little neck heavy due a very light body. But, like you, I typically play jazz with that guitar, when sitting. So, not so much an issue for that guitar. But, I did find that if I use a leather strap, ... that has the suede texture on the inside against my shirt, it helps support the guitar and keep the neck from wanting to drop as much. Don’t know if that makes sense. Anyway, enjoy the guitar, and gigging with it!

Barry

8. RonS

RonS Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2011
    Amsterdam, NY
    That is a beauty Larry! Thanks for the review. One of those might be on my radar!
    RonS.

LGOberean likes this.

9. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Well, I've now done 3 gigs with it in as many days. Today was at a seniors community, a venue I've played for years, so there is a regular audience with whom I have a rapport. Several noticed right away that I had a new guitar. One guy in particular. His name is Bill, and he's a guitar player. I haven't really heard him play. He isn't always there, since he lives out of town. But he regularly comes into town for business, and he coordinates his trips to also visit his father, and to hear me play.

Bill has seen three of my four Logan Custom teles, and now my Logan acoustic/electric. He commented early on that it's a beautiful guitar. After the show was over, I put it in his hands, to let see how lightweight it is. A look of amazement crossed his face as he looked it over, then he handed it back to me and said, "Well...I've never coveted a guitar before!" :lol:

For several venues that I play each month, this will now be my go-to gigging guitar, going into my Fishman Loudbox Mini. Such a lightweight, convenient rig, load in is just one trip: guitar in one hand, amp in the other, and my gig bag (back pack) on my back. There are still a couple of venues where I will take either my BSB or Firecaster, but I think my new acoustic/electric is going to be getting the gig for the foreseeable future. I kind of have mixed feelings about that but all in all it's a good thing.

horax likes this.

10. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Acouple of updates about my new Logan Custom T-style Acoustic/Electric...

(1) That’s a mouthful of a name, so although I’ve never really been into naming my guitars, for simplicity of reference I’m going to call this one “Aggie.” Why that name? Well, the body of the guitar has a top that’s made of ash, and the back is made of mahogany. Ash and Mahogany = A&M = “Aggie.” Also, it kind of helps me that the feminine name Aggie, short for Agatha, is derived from the Greek word ἀγαθός, which basically means “good.” So, “Aggie” it is!

(2) The grown son of dear old friends wants to record me this weekend. I don't know if it can come together this quickly. He lives about 45 minutes away, and is home this weekend, but regularly traverses these United States on business. So if not this weekend, I don't know when. But if we can make it work on short notice, I'll have some recordings to post featuring “Aggie.”

11. TeleMatter

TeleMatter TDPRI Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cincinnati
    Great stories/followups! It sounds like you have found a great new friend in Aggie. And, it’s always nice when folks listen and enjoy. I wish you many years of fun with her! We’ll watch for a post in action...

B

12. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Well, I spent a bit of time this morning playing Aggie yet again. But I have a gig this afternoon, one I've typically taken my Logan Custom BSB to. So I've decided not to break with tradition, since my Butterscotch Blonde is the best guitar for the this venue/gig. Accordingly, I've been checking the strings and tuning on my BSB for today's gig, and just running quickly through some songs. It's been fun picking up one of my other Logans again. Since Aggie arrived a week ago Monday evening, I haven't played my others. I have good guitars to gig with, good guitars to play at home. Life is good! :)

13. TeleMatter

TeleMatter TDPRI Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cincinnati
    Larry, you are so(!) right... blessed to have good guitars, and gear! I've been collecting 'em a long time too! I recently picked up a Zoom H5 recorder for a good price. I took it to a trio rehearsal last night to experiment. It does a lot better job than a phone, I'll tell ya. So, for anyone interested, I am going to try to post a trio version of the jazz standard Blue Bossa. Mind you this was a live take, with the recorder sitting on a stool in the middle of our rehearsal space. So, the balance isn't optimal, and the MP3 has artifacts (or, maybe its the hosting upload that screws with it?). But, I am playing the Logan CMH I posted about on page 326 of this thread. Second rehearsal I've taken the Tele to, and still trying it with different gear setups. This tune used the neck pickup, going into a 1966 Princeton Reverb (with a 12" baffle mod, using an Eminence Elsinore) - I love this amp. Only editing was to normalize and slightly compress to try to smooth out the balance between instruments. I was surprised... the H5 even picked up the kick drum. This 250 yr old pine Tele feels really nice to play, even for jazz. And it makes me feel not-so-old, haha. Later, guys;). <I hope this link works>

14. horax

horax Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2011
    colorado springs
    Can we please get a picture of all your logans , Larry?

15. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Great playing, Barry! And great tone, good to hear CMH in action. :D Jazz on a tele is not a foreign concept at all. Not that I'm any good at it, but I listen to guys like Ed Bickert, Scotty Anderson, Ted Greene, Tim Lerch and Jim Campilongo all the time.

16. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    horax and TeleMatter like this.

17. RonS

RonS Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2011
    Amsterdam, NY
    Logan Strat.jpg Logan Strat.jpg New (to me) Logan Day! Been looking for a Logan Strat for awhile. Found this one on Reveb. Love the P90's! Built in 2013. RonS

JustinTele and horax like this.

18. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Wow, that's great, Ron! Congrats! :D Those pics are rather small, though, hard to tell a lot from them.

P-90 x 3?!? With a 5-way switch, I assume. Like a traditional strat in terms of pickup sounds, only beefier?

19. RonS

RonS Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2011
    Amsterdam, NY

You are right Larry. Yes it is a lot beefier. I also like having the one tone control. I'm used to that with the tele's. I will try to get some better pictures posted later. It was all I could do to get these pictures posted. I'm a little bit computer challenged! Lol

20. horax

horax Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2011
    colorado springs
    I’d really love to get one of those butterscotch teles with a blackguard.

Larry, how do those Wilkinson pickups hold their own? I would probably lean towards twang Kings but that’s a huge difference in price overall.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.