Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    Larry-
    It's nice to find a reliable guitar tech you trust. I don't need a ton of work done on my guitars but I still don't have a set tech I go to. Bob seems like he's willing to make any necessary repairs but I wonder if the shipping makes it cost effective.

eki77 likes this.

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Happy Veteran's Day to all the vets on TDPRI, and in this club in particular. Thank you for your service.

And by the way, this includes Bob Logan. He is a Vietnam Vet, having served in the Army with the 173rd Airborne, and is a recipient of the Purple Heart. He is included in the living memorial at Oconomowoc, Wisconsin.

esetter and eki77 like this.

3. eki77

eki77 TDPRI Member

Dec 24, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    Thank You Bob for your service

Chris

4. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2012
    VA
    I've always been very pleased to extol the virtues of Bob Logan's guitars based on my experience. Henceforth, when I have the opportunity to play there will be a special sense of gratitude as well.

Thank you, Bob.

5. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

6. voodooblues

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    Happy Thanksgiving to all the Logan pickers

LGOberean likes this.

7. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    An update on my Logan Custom mahogany: I've yet to get it to my tech for maintenance. There was a scheduling conflict initially, and since then, between his work schedule and the Thanksgiving holiday, we haven't rescheduled yet. Since I've got my other 3 Logans, I don't need a rush job on the repairs. I'm sure we'll eventually work out a time for me to drop off the guitar.

8. voodooblues

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    That's been on the shelf for a little while eh?

9. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Yeah, it's been a while. Most days the mahogany's on a wall hanger in the living room. I'll get it down and play it every now and then, but it has switching issues, and sometimes I get no sound out of the pickups at all. So it gets the least play.

10. MaxLetac

MaxLetac TDPRI Member

Jan 18, 2017
    New York
    Yes! Will and I proudly play our Logans around NYC with our band!

Attached Files:

LGOberean likes this.

11. eki77

eki77 TDPRI Member

Dec 24, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    I've had the same thing happen repeatedly on a Gibson SG. It always has turned out to be a cold solder joint.

12. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    So am I right that you got your Logan Custom spalted maple thinline at the start of the year? In the Facebook cover photo for the Metropolis Odds, you're playing something else, but the angle of the shot doesn't show much of the guitar, so I can't tell what it is. But in most of the M.O. pics on Facebook, you seem to be playing your Logan. So is that cover photo is an older one, and that the ones with the Logan are newer, or do you gig with two guitars, and switch between them for different things?

13. MaxLetac

MaxLetac TDPRI Member

Jan 18, 2017
    New York
    Yup! I bought the spalted maple from Bob last December and posted about it here on TDPRI. When Will said he was having trouble finding a bass that checked all the right boxes I suggested he reach out to Bob and the rest was history. He loves his five string fretless.

Right now my two main guitars are the Logan tele and a sunburst D'Angelico ex-ss. I go back and forth between the two depending on how I'm feeling that night. The ex-ss is the the other one you've seen in a few photos.

I'm hoping to add another Logan to my collection in the coming weeks and I'll post a picture of the M.O.'s logan family when I do!

LGOberean likes this.

14. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Max, I suppose I could go back and look (might take a while in this thread), but didn't you say something in your first post here about another spalted maple but with 'buckers?

And thanks for satisfying my curiosity about that D'Angelico. I guess I should have known. What better guitar brand for a Manhattan-based guitar player? Is that a semi-hollow?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017

15. MaxLetac

MaxLetac TDPRI Member

Jan 18, 2017
    New York

Technically the ex-ss is a semi-hollow but instead of a solid block that runs down the middle it just has a square block under the bridge.

You have an impressive memory! Yes, I did mention the idea of talking to Bob about a matching spalted maple tele with humbuckers but I fell in love with the walnut stained mahogany tele he has on his website right now and am going to be adding it to my collection instead. How do you like your logan mahogany tele?

LGOberean likes this.

16. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Yeah, I have a mind like a steel trap...already sprung! :oops: When you mentioned your idea of having Bob match your spalted maple, the idea conjured up in my mind the image of two such teles on guitar stands onstage. And that is a memorable image.

About my mahogany, I am quite sentimental about it, and enjoy playing it. In fact, one recurring phenomenon I experience with my Logan Custom teles, especially the mahogany, is that I can play it for a while, think I'm through and put it on its stand. But then the beauty of the guitar draws me back in, and I pick it up again and play some more.

However, the mahogany is the one that's having switching issues and needs some maintenance, so it hasn't gotten as much play lately. Also, it weighs a little over 9 lbs., so I haven't gigged with it in a few years. My BSB and Firecaster get the gigs most of the time. I'm 64, and have health issues (heart attack survivor, bypass patient, diabetes), so my stamina for standing with a 9 lb. tele on my shoulder is more than I can do. In fact, regrettably, I gig sitting down these days.

You're young, and so gigging with a 9 lb. tele probably won't be an issue for you. I don't know exactly how old you are, but I figure you and Will are about the same age. And it's just a mental impression, but I think I remember reading that Will is 21. I can't remember if I read that in his post here or on a Facebook/Metropolis Odds post, but that's my impression. If I'm right, I've got a grandson his/your age.

17. codester1991

codester1991 TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Texas
    Not quite a member of the club yet but will be soon!

I ordered a Bob Logan Tele last week. Spent about 30-45 minutes on the phone with him. Very nice and patient. I spent most of the time trying to decide if I wanted double binding or just front binding. Lol

I kept going back and forth then ultimately decided on front binding with a belly contour on the back. Color is gonna be dark blue transparent on alder with cream binding and cream pickguard, medium c rosewood fingerboard, lindy fralin stock pickups, and some Gotoh locking tuners.

Did I mention I’m super excited?!

I originally wanted to get the double binding because I had fallen in love with a 62’ reissue tele that fender made out of Japan but after hearing about how uncomfortable they are with the pointy edges in your ribs I opted to just do the front binding. Either way, the guitar is going to be amazing and when I receive it in a few months I’ll be sure to post up some pictures!

Y’all have a great day
    -Cody

18. voodooblues

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    Congrats Cody, what you say about binding makes perfect sense. Can't wait to see pictures of the new 'git.

codester1991 likes this.

19. voodooblues

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    You pull the trigger on that Mahogany Logan? I see that it's not on his website anymore.

20. MaxLetac

MaxLetac TDPRI Member

Jan 18, 2017
    New York
    Yessir I did! My new walnut stained mahogany tele arrived exactly on my 30th birthday! It feels lighter than I expected and I fell in love as soon as I picked it up! Here she is next to her big sister.

Logan Sisters.JPG

horax likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.