Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Great to see pics of these Logan Customs. It is fun to vicariously experience a new guitar through posts and pics here. And although not every aspect of every guitar would be my personal choice, it's still fun. Not saying that to denigrate anyone or any guitar, it's just the way it is.

For example, I personally wouldn't go with a three pickup configuration, but the fact that others like chimaera1982 do, and especially when given a rundown of how they use that configuration, it's interesting. Ironically, the first Tele I really GASed over was the now discontinued Deluxe Blackout Tele, which was a three pickup configuration. I've come to realize that for me, three pickups is overkill. I just don't do that much switching of pickup positions when I'm performing.

eki77, when you say, "picked up" that new Logan, I'm assuming you meant going by Bob's and picking it up. From those pics, it looks like it could have been a guitar Bob had in stock. I look forward to your upcoming post about "the particulars" so we can get the story on the guitar as well as the specs.

2. eki77

eki77 TDPRI Member

Dec 24, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    Hi Larry,
    I did pick the guitar up locally. It was not an "in stock" guitar(though the Vintage Cream color that this guitar is finished in does seem to reapear on his website now and again). I had spoken to him over the past few months about different builds, strat,esquire,jazzmaster,etc...but finally decided on the telecaster. I'm happy I did. This one sings. Here are the specs:

21 medium Jumbo frets, 9.5 radius, 1-5/8” Tusq nut, Chunky C shape. Amber tinted, Satin Nitro finished Maple neck. (Allparts)
    Vintage split shaft chrome tuners, (15-1 ratio)
    Select Swamp Ash body finished in Vintage Cream, with 100% Nitrocellulose Lacquer. No grain fillers, some grain texture.
    Stainless steel bridge plate with brass compensated saddles.
    Matched set DiMarzio Twang King pickups.
    3 way CRL switch, 250K audio pots, .047 orange Drop tone capacitor. gibson plate with switch craft input jack.
    Stainless steel appointments with Pewter control knobs. (control and neck plates)
    Single Ply White pick guard.

Again, Bob did a fantastic job on this one. I couldn't be more happy.

-Chris

3. SomeVelvetMorning

SomeVelvetMorning TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Gilford, New Hampshire
    I'll be honest, this makes no sense to me. Before I bought a Logan, I spent a looooot of time looking at reviews here and elsewhere. It disturbs me to think that less than fantastic reviews may have been removed due to people being told it's inappropriate to post before I could read them. When I look for reviews, I look for the reviews with complaints. Whatever his problem was (I didn't see the post before it was removed), there may be someone out there who is concerned about that very issue, and I think they deserve to know about whatever happened or whatever the issue was. Of course, I haven't spent much time on this forum, but I say leave the negative reviews. There are hundreds of positive reviews of Bob's work here. I doubt one negative would hurt him too much.

4. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

So you didn't see what was written ...... There are other negative posts, on the same page even, so there is no censorship. If your livelihood was up for free pot-shots With no right of defence, you might feel differently.

The nature of this post was different. The purchaser was still in comms with Bob.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, and generally I would agree with you ......... Now, if you wouldn't mind deleting your post, that would be just great.

LGOberean likes this.

5. SomeVelvetMorning

Aug 10, 2017
    Gilford, New Hampshire
    I never said the post was censored - it was removed voluntarily. Mr. Logan could easily defend himself by posting on this forum, or on his website, or by answering questions when concerned potential buyers ask. If I owned a business, due to the existence of sites like Yelp and due to the internet in general, I could have no realistic expectation that people won't complain about me online in 2017. Business owners are free to post their rebuttals.

6. Tonemonkey

Yes, the gentleman concerned voluntarily removed the post, which would indicate that he also exercised his judgement and right, based on content and circumstance.

Vendors and clients getting into arguments on here is never pretty, and rarely ends well. So the vendor often has to suck up the damage, whether right or wrong.

LGOberean likes this.

7. SomeVelvetMorning

Aug 10, 2017
    Gilford, New Hampshire
    I just learned some more of the gory details behind the deleted post, and I will say that it sounds like deleting was actually the right call in this case.

LGOberean likes this.

8. Tonemonkey

Thank you, for your kind words.

9. Vitadog

Vitadog TDPRI Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Somonauk, IL
    image.jpeg image.jpeg My policy (agreement with the wife o_O) is "If it fits on the wall it stays". I am currently heavy by three and will be selling them off. This leaves me with some hidden cash and I am thinking about another Logan ;). My best friend has an early 80's Stratocaster in the International Color Sahara Taupe that I have been lusting after for 37 years. I have mocked what I'm thinking about, what's your opinions. His strat has a maple fretboard but I'm kind of digging the rosewood. Anyone use a P90 neck? What's a good bridge to match to? I live mostly in the neck and middle positions and want something clean and warm sounding but not fully dark/jazz. I play mostly ambient based, suggestions on pickups would be great.

Ps - anyone ever had Bob install a Piezo bridge and opinions on use and sound, I may be able to sell a fourth and really keep the wife happy!

10. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    Vita-
    Anything underneath the ashtray cover?

11. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Vitadog, I have a Logan Custom tele with a P-90 in the neck. Here it is…

The brand of P-90 in mine is the Wilkinson vintage style that Bob uses, and in my Logan Custom it is paired with the Wilkinson vintage style single coil bridge pup. The bridge gives me tele goodness (twang and spanky clean), and the P-90, whether in neck position or in middle position, gives a dynamic range of tones.

I describe it as thick, or fat tone. The output of the P-90 tends to push the amp more, resulting in mild crunch to real growl, depending on how you play it/crank it. With a lighter touch, it can yield warm tones good for jazz (or what passes for jazz when I play it). I’ve pushed it for a crunch that does Rockabilly or Classic Rock. But if really cranked, it gets too muddy for my tastes.

I don’t know how this relates to your needs. I would say the tone of mine is darker than a vintage tele neck pup, but I don’t know if it’s that “fully dark” sound that you don’t want. And I’m not familiar with the “ambient based” playing you mentioned, so I don’t know how this relates to my particular pickup configuration.

I have different pickup configurations in each of my Logans. In one I have a set of Bill Lawrence Keystones. They are difficult to describe. I’ve read some describe them as “airy,” and I relate to that description, though I’m not sure how helpful that adjective is for people who haven’t heard/played these pickups. I’ve read some unflattering descriptions of them as “sterile.” I wouldn’t call them that, but I can understand what they mean. One man’s “clarity” is another man’s “sterility.” These pickups are virtually devoid of tonal color. It took me a while to attune my ears to them, and a fair amount of tweaking before I figured out how to dial them in to my satisfaction.

In my Logan Custom BSB, I have a set of DiMarzio Twang Kings. These are my favorite pickups. Again, describing the tonal “color” or characteristics of a set of pickups is difficult, largely because it’s subjective in nature, a matter of personal perspective. Still, I’ll try. The Twang Kings definitely have a tonal color to them, and they’re aptly named: they twang. That said, they’re a beefier sounding set of pickups compared to a set of vintage tele Wilkinsons. They’re gutsier; they have more punch. The bridge pup may twang, but isn’t ice-picky; the neck pup isn’t muddy. They are articulate and yet warm and smooth.

I’ve taken the time to reference the pups I have in my Logans to set up my recommendations. The Wilkinson P-90/vintage style bridge pup combination was my choice for my first Logan Custom 9 years ago. I like them, and they do the job, but given what I know today, would I go with the same combination? Well, yes, but not the same brand. I’d choose DiMarzio: a DP167 “Soapbar” P-90 n the neck, paired with a Twang King bridge (#DP173).

There are also other pickups Bob offers that I’d be interested in trying, like Klein and Lindy Fralin. They’re pricier than the DiMarzios, but not ridiculously so.

When I started this reply, I intended it try and keep it short. Apparently, I’m lousy at keeping it short. :oops: Hope it’s helpful, at least.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017

12. Vitadog

Vitadog TDPRI Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Somonauk, IL
    image.jpeg
    Yes, a tele bridge that matches whatever P90 I come up with.

Larry,

Thanks for the rundown, I like your descriptions.

Describing the tone that you want from a pickup is virtually impossible for me so here is a visual of what I'm looking for, Salma Hayek climbing out of the ocean: Diffinition, Full Bodied, Hint of Darkness. Think 4th position Stat or the best Tele neck with a slight boost and fullness. As stated before I play more ambient based (multiple delays, reverbs and effects) so clear definition is also important. I like Larry's term "Airy" with maybe some definition. What I have decided to do is contact a custom pickup builder, describe what I'm looking for and see how close they can come to building a P90 neck/Tele Bridge matched pair to my wishes.

I'm also thinking of having Bob put in a Piezo bridge. I can then use a tone matched IR from a real acoustic which would sound extremely close to the real thing. This would allow me to clean one more from the herd and get to "what fits on the wall" status with the new build.

13. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Just a guess here...is this next guitar going to be named "Salma"? ;)

Having custom pickups designed for a Logan Custom sounds like a good idea. Do you already have a custom builder/winder in mind? As for having Bob also install a piezo bridge, that too sounds like a good idea. Bob worked with Fishman in the design of the preamp system he uses in his piezo equipped tele style and jazzmaster style acoustics, and they sound great in the clips done by fellow Logan owner Mike "the gman" Gallenberger. (He's posted in this thread before.)

14. Welleberto

Welleberto NEW MEMBER!

Sep 24, 2017
    Ridgewood
    Hi Folks,
    My name is Will Briceño, and I'm here to give full credit to an amazing luthier and artist, Bob Logan. He is responsible for my newest acquisition, this beautiful fretless 5 string Logan bass guitar (I'm not gonna get into details cause I don't want to make this too long). It's just a master piece, not a single detail missing, and it's sound is just spectacular. The best thing about it is that is exactly how I pictured it in my head and exactly how I wanted it done.
    So for all this I gotta say Bob Logan is definitely the guy you want to go to for your next guitar or bass guitar custom made.

Here are some pictures of the cutie. Also, if you want to listen to it you can follow my band on Facebook The Metropolis Odds and check the videos out.

Thanks for reading!
    And Thank you Bob!

Attached Files:

15. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Congrats, and welcome, Will!

Since reading your post, I've been having a look and a listen on Facebook. And it appears yours is not the only Logan Custom in the band...

[​IMG]

16. eki77

eki77 TDPRI Member

Dec 24, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    I've heard that there were a couple of 5 string Logan bass' out there. Nice to see one on the forum!

17. Toadhopper57

Toadhopper57 Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Randys Natural Strat, S-N- 17863 001.JPG Randys Natural Strat, S-N- 17863 004.JPG Randys Natural Strat, S-N- 17863 005.JPG Randys Natural Strat, S-N- 17863 007.JPG Hello All,

5th Logan Custom guitar. 3 Strats and 2 Teles. Gave one strat as a birthday gift to my father-in-law. Can't wait for this latest one to arrive. Ash Strat with Lindin Fralin Blues Pups, treble bleed, rosewood fretboard, white appointments.....Thanks Bob! Great value in custom guitars....

voodooblues likes this.

18. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    TH57, nice one! Well, for a strat. ;) I like the look of strats in general, and I certainly like the look of yours. I just don't get on as well with the ergonomics of a strat as I do a tele.

I like the natural finish, and I'm betting another club member/Logan Custom strat owner does too (Sanford, a.k.a. telecaster man).

19. eddy jaye

eddy jaye TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Nov 26, 2011
    LA Ronge Sk.
    th57-just love the wood grain lines in that natural finish. I'm not much for Strats., but this one really turns my crank. Just another masterpiece by Bob. Sure hope you enjoy picking that baby.

20. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    My mahogany's needing some maintenance...

...and there's a local guy I'm going to use to do the job. Interestingly/Coincidentally enough, his name is Bob Long. Just so you know, I discussed the symptoms with Bob Logan, and got his diagnosis. Well, of course, diagnosing long distance based on descriptions in an email could be a sketchy situation, and so Bob qualified his assessment, but likely as not, he knows what the problem is. Namely, it's (most likely) in need of a new switch and a setup. So nothing major.

Well, nothing major for someone with the knowledge and the tools and the skills, not me. I'm not much of a DIY guy. Of course, I change my own strings, and over the years I've tweaked the necks of my various guitars, re-attached a loose jack cup, that kind of thing. Woodworking and electronics were never a part of my livelihood or hobbies, and I don't even own a soldering iron, so I don't get too ambitious trying to do work myself. Oh, and Bob Logan offered to fix it for me. And while I'm grateful to him for that, I didn't think that a switch replacement and setup was worth packaging up the guitar and shipping it from Corpus Christi, Texas to Delafield, Wisconsin. If in the unlikely event something goes wrong with this local arrangement, I'll take Bob up on his offer.

Bob Long is an associate professor at a nearby college. His first job at 14 or 15 was working at Clawson's Music, a local Mom & Pop store. Well, actually, it's a Pop, Son & Grandson business. (Bob, Bubba & Bobby...is that a great Texas naming tradition, or what? :lol:) Eventually Bob Long graduated from being a step-n-fetch-it worker in the store to doing setups and repairs. While his career took him on a different path, and keeps him busy, he always wants to have guitar projects. As he's said before, it helps fund his own GAS/guitar projects.

I first found out about Bob Long about 3 years ago, and I vetted him carefully, even spoke to the Clawson's about him. (Over the years, I've bought acoustic guitars, a PA, etc. from Bob and Bubba.) What I found out is that Bob Long has the reputation as the best guitar tech in Corpus. At the time I had a dozen guitars, including of course my 4 Logan Customs and my 34 year old Japanese vintage Hohner G940. Bob Long came over to the house and inspected my modest guitar collection, including playing all my Logan teles. He offered to take me on as one of his regular clients. He's since quit advertising altogether; he's got something like 20 clients that he'll do work for, and that's it. I count myself fortunate to be one of them. So about 2-½ years ago, I had him do a re-fret on my gigging acoustic/electric, my 2008 Breedlove AD25/SM...

At that point, I'd done like 500 gigs with that guitar, and the frets were in need of attention. Not a complete re-fret, just the first 5-7 frets, then dressed/crowned & leveled the rest. Bob Long did a great job. And the cost was neither cheap nor expensive, but what I deemed to be reasonable (don't remember exactly how much now, but something like $150). The turn around time was just a few weeks, as I recall, so that was good too.

I haven't used Bob Long's services for a while now, and that was due in part to a misunderstanding. Back some time ago, I asked him about working on the mahogany, and he thought I was asking about my Hohner, which has a neck bound with maple, so he started talking about extensive work that didn't match what I was asking for. That spooked me, and so I held off for a while. But now that misunderstanding is cleared up, it's time to get the mahogany fixed. I'll take it to him next week.

Well, there's more I could tell, but I've rambled on enough already. :rolleyes::oops:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.