Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Logan Custom Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2009
    Smyrna Ga.
    Hey Voodoo. How is that Bigsby working out for you. I had one on a tele but it would only change the pitch about half a step. Can you get some Duane Eddy/Chet dips going and did Bob have to shim the neck on yours. Thanks

2. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    I love it! I play in a surf band so I get a lot of mileage out of it. I wanna say I can bend the pitch about a full step down although I don't usually bend it that far. Joe Satriani dive bombs it will not do, but surf bends and subtle warbles sound great on it. Not sure about a neck shim. I don't think so but Bob would know for sure.

3. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2016
    Peabody, MA

4. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

I've really enjoyed the P90 neck pup in my mahogany. I've often dreamed of/GASed about a dual P90 axe. I dunno about 3. One of the things I've discovered about myself through the years of playing my Logans is I'm not one for switching pickup positions a lot during performance. Even though I have 3-, 4- and 5-way switches in my guitars, I most often play in the position for both pickups. So 3 pickups doesn't really make sense for me. All my Logans are the 2 pup variety, albeit different pickup brands (Wilkinson vintage style & that aforementioned P90, Bill Lawrence Keystones, DiMarzio Twang Kings).

5. chimaera1982

chimaera1982 TDPRI Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Hi there, I change quite a lot when playing live. I guess it comes from the fact that we play quite a wide range of genres during our set. The 3P90 has a custom as switching as below, which has a push pull tone knob. This allows like series bridge and neck, and 3 pickup active. There's piezo as well as some songs we play the quiet sections is acoustic guitar and this allows me to switch between the 2 or both together piezo and magnetic.

When I came up with the guitar design it's meant to work with my custom board, as usually we just gig with backline available. Below us the board, it has a stereo input which then splits and send the magnetic and piezo signal separately. IMG-20170918-WA0007.jpg

6. voodooblues

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    Very sharp! I really dig that color. What kind of pickups are in that?

7. eki77

eki77 TDPRI Member

Dec 24, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    Speaking of P90's...I always liked this guitar.

Attached Files:

8. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    ^^^

I like it too! An "Esquire" with a P-90 twist! I also like the natural finish of the body with the maple fretboard, but also the blackguard. I think the blackguard accomplishes that "complementary contrast" that I've talked about before in this thread. To me, a white pickguard on all this natural wood would not provide enough "color" contrast, so to have the black on there provides contrast, which is complementary overall.

9. voodooblues

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    Eki-
    I've heard that Esquires will have more sustain due to less pull from the lack of a magnet from a second pickup. Have you found that to be true?

10. Vitadog

Vitadog TDPRI Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Somonauk, IL
    Speaking of P90's - I'm seriously considering switching out the Seth Lovers in my recent build for a pair of Humbucker sized P90's as I am not feeling the lovers but love the guitar. Anyone have any experience or suggestions for Humbucker sized P90's...

Loving the look of Vodoos tele with Bigsby

voodooblues likes this.

11. eki77

eki77 TDPRI Member

Dec 24, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    I have heard of that..I've only played two Esquires in my life, a 1950's blackguard and a Logan that I once owned that I modified to have one pickup. Both sounded great..very growwly. But then again I played a GE Smith model telecaster that sounded similar so who knows...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

12. chimaera1982

Apr 5, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Ians tele 001.JPG
    Tele in the sun before being shipped

horax likes this.

13. JustinTele

JustinTele TDPRI Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Mid West
    Howdy, I've got the TV Jones P90 (T-90) in a Fender Cabronita that I love. It originally had the Fidel'trons from Fender. They have clarity as well as like a bit of dirt :) Perhaps I'm biased as I love my two Logans with TV Jones (Classic, PowerTron / PT Plus).
    Cheers

14. wilsonho94

wilsonho94 NEW MEMBER!

Oct 9, 2017
    Malaysia
    Understood, post deleted

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    eki77 and Tonemonkey like this.

15. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Hi Wilson, welcome.

Generally, here on TDPRI, the expectation is that customers deal directly with builders to sort out matters in which they are dissatisfied, rather than present one side of a correspondence, or their perception of what is right or wrong, which the builder can't defend without causing further damage.

It certainly sounds like you have open dialogue with Bob. This type of post is seen as pretty damaging, even if resolved by the builder after the fact; which is, I guess, what you want to happen.

I would respectfully suggest that you remove your post and continue to deal with Bob, rather than damage his reputation on the Internet, and then expect him to resolve the matter.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    eki77 likes this.

16. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Hello, everyone. I've been home about an hour. Beth and I went on a whirlwind 4 states (Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and back) in 4 days driving trip (1,700+ miles). I haven't been on TDPRI at all during that time, and so I'm just checking in. More later.

17. voodooblues

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    Wow Larry, that's a lot of ground to cover in just four days. Did you actually stop anywhere, or just go for a long drive?:p

18. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    We're in our 60s and we were traveling with a 1 year old Beagle puppy. You better believe we stopped along the way!

[​IMG]

horax likes this.

19. chimaera1982

Apr 5, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Hi All

Just got this guitar today. Quite chuffed. Sent an email to Bob on my early thoughts on the guitar which I would like to share below.
    It's early impressions and will update once I have more experience with it live and through my other amps.

Quite happy with it. When I opened the case it was already in tune, good setup on your end.

The guitar feels smooth and natural in my hands. Loving the neck profile to me its like in the middle between a PRS Wide Fat and the Burton Tele, just nice. It is very resonant and rings like a bell. The weight is good for me, quite a bit lighter than my US Burten Tele. Stable tuning with active tremolo usage.

Plugged to my Marshall Silver Jubilee Mini and the sound was what was I expected actually. The Staple neck is really wonderful for me with gain smooth, thick with sparkle, this will be my main lead sound. The bridge has bite and drive the amp well, thick and defined notes, this will be the main heavy rhythm sound. The middle pickup setup is great, low height but good clean sound. I plan to use this for the more clean acoustic-ish sound from the guitar. Haven't tried piezo out, will do so tomorrow using my FX board.

Some things that are some niggles/feedback which are more nitpicking

1. Some paint excess, small smears here and there but nothing major.
    2. For the middle pickup the cut out there is tiny chip I think or more like wood worming I think.
    3. Pickup pole alignment, the bridge pickup high string is not really aligned with the poles but the low E is aligned. I can understand this. Am guessing due to the tremolo bridge saddles are in "Fender style pickup/tremolo spacing" but the P90s by default Gibson spacing. No issues here.
    4. Am not sure its my eyes but the tremolo position is not 'straight edged' or like right full right angle alignment to the other pickups, just off by a little.

All in all am pretty happy with it. This is going to be a gigging guitar and not the ones that I keep at home, and as a workhorse guitar and what I am planning to use it for its great.

20171013_111156.jpg

20. eki77

eki77 TDPRI Member

Dec 24, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    Chris Vintage cream white guard tele, S-N- 17813 001.JPG Chris Vintage cream white guard tele, S-N- 17813 002.JPG Chris Vintage cream white guard tele, S-N- 17813 003.JPG Chris Vintage cream white guard tele, S-N- 17813 004.JPG Hello Everyone,
    Just a quick post. Picked up a New Logan Tele today. I'll update the particulars later but needless to say I'm extremely happy with it...Bob was awesome to deal with as well.

djh22, adamnewtonguitar and horax like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.