Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Locking tuners for lefty tele

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Mazian, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Mazian

Mazian TDPRI Member

Aug 24, 2018
    Germany
    Hi everyone,

I'm putting together a build and I have a question i can't figure out on my own so far.
    Since lefty parts are a PITA to get sometimes, my options are a little limited.
    I need tuners for a lefty tele neck, genuine fender replacement neck, MIM.
    I wanted to go with locking tuners, since I need to buy aftermarket anyway, no fender leftys to order I've seen.
    The Schaller F series would be a drop in for the pre-drilled holes.
    They only sell a staggered set for right handed orientation, which consists of the 21,5 post height tuners and three 19s.

The way I see it, I would need 6 "right" orientation tuners, which they only sell as single tuners.

The catch is, as single the tallest post to order is the 19.
    Now I know these fit and are tall enough, since I ordered the 6l inline set by accident ( generous return policy).

They are tall enough for locking use, could also string them normally, though that would be on the short side.

Can I do this, or will I run into problems with 6 "shorter" tuners?

I can provide pictures of the wrong tuners put in if needed, to see the post height.

Next time I'm slapping a righty neck on and go reverse Hendrix style...

2. Mazian

Mazian TDPRI Member

Aug 24, 2018
    Germany
    Issue resolved itself.

Shaller has great service, they'll send me a correct staggered set for a lefty neck, even though it's not on their website. No extra charge.

3. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    As a user, I can assure you that aside from easier string changes, locking are no big deal.

Wally likes this.

4. Mazian

Mazian TDPRI Member

Aug 24, 2018
    Germany
    Yeah, I figured, but since I'd have to buy some non-fender tuners anyway and the price difference was minimal, at least for leftys, I thought I might as well get them.

5. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    However, if you're a crazy string changer like me...every two months (even less) with just even moderate play...

You will ADORE those easy string changes.

6. Journeyman22

Journeyman22 Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2014
    Piute County, Utah
    I was asked to put together a left handed SX Furrian, work horse, guitar. I do a complete up-grade on parts with a good set up. Sometimes I will level, re-crown/polish, neck frets.
    Anyway, finding locking tuning machines was a bit of a challenge. I settled on trying "Gotoh" penny lockers (what I named them). A little different from the locking tuners I have used in the past. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I will find out how good they are in a while. So far so good.

Attached Files:

7. Mazian

Mazian TDPRI Member

Aug 24, 2018
    Germany
    Looking good!

I could've gone another way, but the fender neck was already drilled for their pin tuners and I didn't necessarily want to add more drilling to my first ever partscaster/self-finished body, enough potential for disaster as is.
    Schaller was the only locking drop-in tuners I found.
    My "special" set arrived today, still pretty impressed with their customer service.

Attached Files:

8. Journeyman22

Journeyman22 Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2014
    Piute County, Utah
    This is a guess on how to work them.From what I understand, You first line/index the string hole inline with the strings. Run a the string through the string hole, then take a coin (I am using a penny so far). Insert coin in the top slot. the coin stops the left handed threaded, locking cap from spinning, while cranking the tuner. Now use a hand or electric, machine tuners, speed crank, till the lock stops turning. Check to make sure the string is locked. Done.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.