Locking Tuners for G&L ASAT Classic

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by yyr123, Mar 15, 2019 at 12:21 AM.

1. yyr123

yyr123 TDPRI Member

Guys what have you all used in the past when upgrading your tuners to locking?

I love my ASAT Classic and I am making upgrades, I just put in a 1/4 lbs Seymour Duncan in the bridge and it speaks like a different guitar altogether, so I will put the neck p/u in and while I was going to do that I thought about upgrading the tuners....

Any past experiences that you all want to share?

Anything that I should watch out for?

Mincer likes this.
  2. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Meister

I love hipshot.

Some folks swear by gotoh, schaller, or fender official.

Just depends on the anesthetic you're going for. Also, do you really need them? Probably not, but I put them on all my builds because it cuts my string changes to 5 minutes as opposed to 10-15. If you're having tuning stability problems, a new nut or having the guitar set up may be a better investment.

Area51 likes this.
  3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I've kept quiet on this topic for a few years now it's time for my $0.02 worth.
    Why locking tuners at all ?
    If you tune it with an electronic tuner, right to the cent, you have perfection, then play -fine.
    But strings have elasticity and if you tune it to ,say, concert pitch, after 1/2 an under lights and heat, they will slacken and go flat.
    Similarly, just dropping the bottom E to D ( D tuning) can't be done so easily as you have to tune it and twiddle a ball end at the the bridge to lock it even if only for one song. Or have things improved?
    Not to mention if you wanted G tuning and or DADGAD ( some argue the G should be F#)??
    I once played an eighties Ibanez "super strat" with a Floyd Rose tremolo and got called an idiot when I touched the tuner at the headstock. Haven't had anything to do with them since.
    So, not being nasty here, I have already explained my reasons for not liking such locking tuners, can anyone tell me what is the good of a system that does not allow you to adjust/tune freely-especially in a live situation?
    BTW G&L guitars are very good indeed.

bgmacaw likes this.
  4. yyr123

yyr123 TDPRI Member

Well I don’t have tuning issues, the guitar is great all around, and a Tele In every since of the word

It’s an American made $1500-$2000 Guitar (I paid 1/3 of that price) so it’s really fine as it is...but i routed out the neck pick up and put in a P90 and now I like the tone better, I changed out the bridge for a flat based one with 6 individual modern saddles, and put in a 4-way switch all about a year ago.

The upgrade really has to do with string changes made easier and a better look (personal preference) on the guitar. Also it make a Custom guitar look more custom, not that I am going to sell.

5. yyr123

yyr123 TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think you're mistaking a locking nut for a locking tuner. This is a locking nut:

[​IMG]

... and this is a locking tuner:

[​IMG]

Locking tuners do nothing more but make changing strings easier and faster. When you put the string through the hole, you tighten the screw on the bottom of the tuner. That locks the string in place so you don't have to wind around the pole multiple times. The string still needs to be stretched and all that jazz, but once it's stable going to drop-D or any other tuning happens just the same way as with regular tuners, twiddling the appropriate knobs. There's no need to do anything on the bridge side.

I've been adding locking tuners to all my guitars and to my experience there are no gotchas you should be aware off. They behave just like standard tuners.

I've noticed no practical difference between Gotohs, Schallers, Hipshots and the cheap Aliexpress tuners except for the price; and that the last ones don't carry anyone's stamp. I started using them after buying in-house sets from Thomann and some other shop I can't remember, and noticed they're exactly the same stuff with lot cheaper price. So far the only thing I've noticed with those is that the string hole can be a bit too sharp for my taste, so I tend to check those and if there's a real cutting edge I file it down.

I'm pretty sure they all come from the same few Chinese manufacturers anyway, regardless of whose stamp is on the screw.

Tonetele likes this.
  7. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Afflicted

I'll take your old ones if you switch.

8. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@yyr123: Which tuners are on your G&L - the G&L split post tuners or Sperzels? G&L sometimes subs in Sperzels for their tuners *which are made by Schaller) from time to time and you don't show the headstock.

At any rate - if you have the G&L logo tuners with split posts for a direct replacement you would get Schaller locking tuners, and you would need the kind that has 1 guide pin on the back side of the tuner. G&L does sell these through their online accessory shop, but they aren't cheap; you should be able to get them from another supplier for a lower price (I'm not sure if the ones G&L sells have their logo on the thumbwheels or not). If you have Sperzels then get Sperzel locking - I think the guide pins are in a slightly different location between the Schaller and the Sperzels so I would go with the path of least resistance.

With the Hipshots you would need the universal mounting plate with the single guide pin.

9. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

They do indeed.

31B95187-7D44-498D-92D1-B4908A62B870.jpeg

10. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

I love locking tuners. I look for light ones, and preferably ones that will hide any existing holes. They don't keep in tune any better than normal ones, but they are worth it for the fast string changes alone. The fact that we still wind a string around or through a post is another issue altogether, but that is more wrapped in tradition than anything.

11. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Meister

I'm thinking the exact thing right now. My asat is a year old. I put an antiquity in the bridge and did the 4 way mod. I'm keeping the neck mfd. But if I was to upgrade the neck it would be for a big mfd. I never owned locking tuners but I hear that they also make string changes a lot faster. That's why you see them on floyd rose guitars.

yyr123 and Mincer like this.
  12. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for your explanations guys.. Still hate those Floud Rose systems and I'll stay a conservative old guy and use Kluson type tuners. There's a trick to tuning them that keeps them REALLY stable except for that all present elasticity factor in all strings. Each to their own.

13. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Meister

No one really needs to justify themselves.

You don't like them and think they're useless? That's fine, just don't buy them. :)

Some people see some value in them. Free to them to enjoy them. :)

Tonetele likes this.
  14. Les Paul lover

I've bought G&L locking tuners from the G&L website.
    They are simply Schaller locking tuners, but they are competitively priced, and liked the idea of the G&L logo being there.

That was on my tribute ASAT Special, so had to drill an extra pin hole, which was easy enough.

[​IMG]

15. yyr123

yyr123 TDPRI Member

I would assume the G&L Split posts are theirs, never thought about it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah I heard these have the 1 pin guide but I haven’t pulled them off yet. I found these online and they look like drop in replacements, which I am willing to pay a few extra dollars
    For.... and they look really nice too.

https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/products/g-l-6-in-line-locking-chrome-tuners-right-hand-only

16. yyr123

yyr123 TDPRI Member

I would like to see this pic, but I don’t think it posted correctly...

17. Les Paul lover

[​IMG]

That's better. Here I marked the old pin holes, and positioned the new pin hole in the middle. You can see the low E and A are already drilled here.

Here, they're all drilled, and some locking tuners already fitted.

[​IMG]

It was pretty straight forward.

18. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes, you have the tuners made by Schaller for G&L; the direct replacements are the ones you linked to at G&L's online store.

When G&L uses Sperzels they are "off the shelf" tuners with Sperzel's logo on them - these days they mostly use Sperzels on left-handed but they sometimes still show up on right-handed guitar. I kind of assume that G&L would substitute Sperzels on right-handed guitars when they are out of their Schaller-made tuners, and they have just chosen to not get their left-handed tuners from Schaller.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.