Local Radio Stations

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, May 12, 2019.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I can't stand most of the new music but I get sleepy if I don't have the radio on so I usually turn it on when I'm driving a long way. I had been listening to a station that plays '80s stuff but they keep playing the same old stuff over and over. Don't get me started on country music stations. :lol:

Recently someone in the Omaha, Ne. area has started playing mostly '60s and '70s music. The thing about it is they have about five different spots on both FM and AM that are really the same station. They don't transmit very far though but they do have a web station as well.

Never heard of anyone doing that before.

2. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

The only time i listen to normal OTA radio is the morning show on my way to work. After that i use whats in my phone for in the car or riding my bike . At home i use Pandora

3. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

Those are called translator stations. Sometimes they're installed because the terrain prevents the station's signal from covering the full area, which is probably not an issue in Nebraska. It may also be that the owner bought up some low-power stations and turned them into translators to increase the coverage area, which is often easier and cheaper than building and licensing a new station.

The main station will have a regular four-letter callsign like KXYZ and the translators will identify themselves separately with letter-number combinations like K123XY or W231AB.

Flaneur and Bergy like this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

It's very rare for me to listen to a local radio station these days. I'm either listening the Sirius XM or a USB stick with concert audio ripped from YouTube.

I've found streaming from my phone while driving to be too unreliable due to dead zones and it's illegal to try to restart it playing while driving.

JL_LI likes this.
  5. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I love regular radio . The problem stems from conglomerates owning nearly everything . I'll soon be doing a road trip to Tennessee . Some of it will be in areas where I haven't been before , so some real searching will be needed while traveling . You can keep that pay to play satellite stuff .

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Radio on the internet (didn t that make someone a billionaire?) WFMU , WPRB both noncommercial, nonNPR, and free form. On the web. My weekday morning, 6-9 listen: WFMU "Wake and Bake w Clay Pidgen". Both stations play anything; totally free form; reminds me of WBCN in Boston back in the '70s.

7. CCK1

CCK1 TDPRI Member

Terrerestrial radio has lost my patronage for good. Not because of the crappy music, not because of the tiny playlists, not because of that mass produced, corporate abomination known as "country music", although any one of those is enough. It's because of the incessant, blaring commercials that seem to be targeted at the lowest rung of human existence, those poor people that are operating from the brain stem, the people that can barely clothe, feed, and clean themselves. I live near Atlanta, and there are no worthwhile radio stations left.

unixfish, bgmacaw and Nickfl like this.
  8. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Not a single college station in your area . I am truly surprised .
    I will refrain from taking issue with the remainder of your post .

9. CCK1

CCK1 TDPRI Member

@otterhound, Good point. Where I live and drive most, I can only get one NPR college station, from Piedmont College in Demorest. It's OK, but they play very little music. There are two really good ones, WREK at Georgia Tech, and WUOG at University of Georgia are both great stations, but only have a fringe signal at a 40-50 mile range. The closest is WBCX at Brenau college in Gainesville, but most of their music programming is sort of "light jazz", and they have a very low power transmitter. Not great, but LOADS better than the corporate Clear Channel, or Cumulus Broadcasting cookie cutter stations.

bgmacaw likes this.
  10. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

We have 6 NPR stations between 88.1 and 92.5 on the dial, and 3 more from 104.1 to 107.7. All play the same program at the exact same time. Can't stand listening to their stuffy, better than you voices with their noses and pinkys held high in the air.

Sometimes they play classical music on the weekends and late at night. What a waste of frequency space.

bgmacaw and duzie like this.
  11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

We are blessed with good radio here on the Front Range. KRFC-FM is the Fort Collins Community Radio Station. (disclaimer, I tech for the weekly live music show, Live @ Lunch). We have KUNC in Greeley which is the local NPR station for news and public affairs. They now have a separate music station called "The Colorado Sound" which is all over the map musically. There is KUVO in Denver that's a jazz station, there's KGNU, another community radio station in Boulder and some decent commercial stations like KBCO in Boulder. And we have KCSU, the college station here in Fort Collins.

12. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My 64GB USB stick has replaced local radio and Sirrius XM for music. I carry a 4GB stick with concerts and mini-concerts for rental cars. I dropped the satellite subscription after my complimentary year ran out but I think my wife put it back. She likes CNN and MSNBC and a ‘60s channel. For me, if I want real reporting, I put on the nearest NPR station. Broadcast pop and country have degenerated to the point where they’re no longer listenable. Point is, I’ve become my own program director with a library of more than 2500 live and studio recordings plus more than 40 short and long concerts. I don’t need radio or streaming while I drive.

13. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

In Columbus, it's a mixed bag.... one Alt rock station is generally pleasing, and they aren't owned by another company, and somehow bought thier own broadcast license. Country stations are nominally junk, theres hit n miss metal stations, boring classic rock stations that I feel dont know bands recorded albums, not just singles, and I think one remaining rap station that plays anything other than top 40.
    Literally everything else is a pop station of some sort, be it masquerading as r&b, "cool hip hop" soft rock, or anything.

But taking 71 toward Cincy you can pick up better country stations, a blues station, and some better rock stations.

I think Curt Cobain had something about wanting to buy a bunch of Ham Radio stuff to pick up every college radio station in the continental US. While I dont recall that being possible, I admire his forsight....

14. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

Sirius is only for me when it's free. They dropped the punk channel, cut back on standup channels, and seem to have only the most biased news channels for either side on there...... luckily, I still tune into standup channels that's aren't gone when they run the free stuff.

I've slowly been dumping CDs onto computer then phone for a minute. I've gotta be close to done soon.... but your way is what I'm aiming for eventually

JL_LI likes this.
  15. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Clear Channel needs to be broken up. If you ve ever traveled long distance you realize ,"oh its Santana day" and theres "Black Magic Woman" or "Evil Ways" on every new station fading in.

16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

We had it in my wife's Impala LTZ when we first bought it. I don't know why, but I could never find a station I liked. It always seemed to me as if I was listening to a recording of a recording if that makes any sense.

17. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

I like the one NPR affiliate we have and don’t feel condescended to by it, but aside from that we St. Louis-area listeners are lucky to have a great, musically diverse community radio station (KDHX 88.1 FM). Old country? Blues and R&B? Reggae and Ska? Garage rock? Rockabilly? Jam bands? Balkan folk dance music in 23/8 meter? Got it all. And they blow about a zillion watts of it so we can get it way the hell out in the country where I live...and they stream.

And there’s a jazz-oriented station out of Southern Illinois University-Carbondale...I like tuning in to that for bass guitar groove ideas.

I can almost always find something on those two stations that beats listening to a tiny corporate hits playlist.

Flaneur likes this.
  18. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I never listen to over the air radio anymore, if the Reds ever launch the missiles, I will never know they were on the way. It's freeing in a way.

mexicanyella likes this.
  19. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I find that a lot of College Radio stations play some good music.

20. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

Hey, now!

I resemble that remark!

CCK1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.