Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Living with the shades pulled down-Merle Haggard

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3fngrs, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Tom T Hall is credited with writing Harper Valley PTA. Sounds like one of his songs, it doesn't fit anything I've ever heard of Merle's.

2. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2011
    Mandurah. West Australia
    G'Day TD, I've been a fan of both Tom T and Merle and I'm always interested in who wrote which song. Years ago in the UK I had a LP (remember those?) of Tom T Halls' called "Songs I Wrote", it was released on a Supermarket label and Harper Valley PTA was one of the songs on there. Also on one of those videos Country Family Re-union Jeanie C Riley performed that song and she commented afterwards that it was written by Tom T Hall. Give my love to Toto and give him a doggie biscuit and tell him it was from me.. S:D

PS. My little girl Amber sends Toto her love..
    Amber before.jpeg

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2011
    Mandurah. West Australia
    Yes I've seen a video or two where he does say that, but once he starts sing the true feeling is there. RIP Merle. 13062494_1338053869554892_6649916841636519438_n.jpg

bazmusicman and haggardfan1 like this.
  4. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    G'Day to you Slowpoke! Tom T Hall wrote a lot of songs I really like, one of my favorites is Old Dogs and Children and Watermelon Wine, he kind of had a distinct style that I enjoyed over the years. During the course of my life, I saw Merle live several times, and actually met him while he was in the hospital preparing to go on a trip abroad. He was just as he seemed a down to earth regular guy who happened to make it.

I remember the LPs very well. About twelve years ago, we sold our home, and were preparing to move away from California and got rid of almost all of our belongings. One such thing was a huge collection of LPs that I didn't really listen to, but couldn't turn lose of. I mentioned them to a good friend one day, and he said he'd love to look at them. I said how about if you just come get them? He did, and still listens to them to this day!

Amber is a sweetie pie! She appears to me to be a Cockapoo, but I'm not certain of that. She looks a lot like a little dog who was very dear to me named Candy. Candy passed not long after Toto came to live with us, but they were together for a few weeks when he was a pup. Toto says hi!

PS:

After getting rid of most all of our possessions, we decided against moving away, and bought another home here in California. It was fun buying all new stuff, but I miss a lifetime of collecting things I no longer have.

5. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    "The Lord Knows I'm Drinkin'" was written by Bill Anderson.

I think WT was just giving examples of hit songs written in the same suggestive, almost lewd manner as Living With the Shades Pulled Down...but compared to some of today's music, all these seem pretty tame now. :(

3fngrs and william tele like this.
  6. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Thank you! I didn't realize people thought I was inferring that Merle wrote those songs. As you say, those songs were a middle finger salute to self righteous hypocritical a-holes of the day...kind of like Merle's song about falling in love with a hooker...

3fngrs and haggardfan1 like this.
  7. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Merle re-does "Afternoon Delight" in true CW genre!

8. haggardfan1

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    Wow. This thread has got me thinking back about some other songs that we thought were racy, too, at the time: Anyone Who Isn't Me Tonight, You've Never Been This Far Before, Behind Closed Doors, Willie's "If You Could Touch Her At All", etc.

william tele likes this.
  9. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Tight-Fittin Jeans

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    "Help Me Make it Through the Night"

william tele likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Yeah, but Mr. Twitty never would say what happened later on that night.

12. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Neither would Loretta, I imagine.

But then, neither of them needed to, and nor did we.

That's part of what's so depressing about some songs today: they never rise above the literal. Nothing is suggested, so songs become hard and impermeable.

I'm thinking this has to do with our living in a low-trust society. People are too anxious and stubborn to be suggestive.

A big exception is Nick Cave and the like.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. haggardfan1

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    Take a listen to "There Won't Be Another Now" by Merle. From the Kern River album, not that that matters anymore lol.

Mark Chesnutt, for reasons I don't quite understand, recorded another beautiful version, as a tribute to Merle. But he's a great singer and it's a great cover.
    And Mark hails from my hometown of Beaumont, TX. My last stepmother knew him as a kid and knew his family well. FWTW

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  14. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2011
    Mandurah. West Australia
    Hi TD, yes you're correct mate Amber is a Cockapoo although we call them a Cavoodle in Australia which is basically the same, a King Charles Spaniel crossed with a Toy Poodle. Which Amber seems to think gives her Royal status because she wishes to be known as Her Royal Highness Princess Amber of Mandurah and I'm her Butler. She'll be 10 years old come August 22nd and is "our little girl".. S

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.