Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Living in Carpinteria war zone

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chris m., Jan 10, 2018.

1. Lenny1716

Lenny1716 TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2014
    LA Southbay
    So sorry for your grief, and, of course, give my sympathy to those who are suffer loss of home/property and/or life. The central coast is a beautiful area of California, where my wife and I have enjoyed our visits to this area over the year.

2. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    Hang in there; that’s a tough one.

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    My sister and her other half are located in Ventura. I feel you.

4. Finck

Finck Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    Even here in Brazil we watch the news about the big natural disasters that occur in California from time to time.
    Hope that everything ends fine for all the yours.

5. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2011
    Penn's Woods
    I just sat here for a few minuets trying to come up with something meaningful to say, and I got nothing.
    Heartfelt condolences to everyone involved.

6. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    The images coming in are incredibly unfathomable.
    The "driftwood" prob survived a good way down.
    image.jpg

7. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I did not see that dead bear photo before! Imagine if that had washed up alive into someone's living room!

tery likes this.

8. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Santa Barbara is my home town. Best friend growing up lived in Montecito. Many of my friends and family are still in SB. Have spent a lot of time hiking, climbing, and mountain biking in the areas of the flood.

I think I'm still in shock.

Don't know about the bear photo. I was not aware that there were any bears up there. Could have been I suppose.

9. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

My sympathies for your lost friends and the lives that have been drastically changed by the natural catastrophes. My prayers and thoughts go with them. Such tragedies!

10. chris m.

Apparently the bear was most likely someone's stuffed taxidermy bear, not a live bear that got caught in the flood.

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I watched some footage on TV of the problems you folks are facing, and it's just unbelievable what you're up against. I'm so sorry for the problems you have, and those you will have. Sometimes life just isn't fair.

12. bender66

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    That's much more believable. If this thing was real there'd be much more chatter about it.

I'm off work today. I'm thinking a ride over near Butterfly/Biltmore. I saw a pic of the Butterfly Beach wall was heavily eroded from all the water washing out to sea.

13. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    I grew up in Santa Barbara. So sad to see what's happened out there over the last few years.

14. chris m.

Bender-- yesterday I did a reconnaissance ride from the south to see how far I could get. I tried multiple routes and I could only get as far as the bottom of Sheffield Rd. before turned back by the cops. They also told me that further on, on any road I picked, I would eventually find myself in some fairly deep mud. So take your beater bike if you go for it. The other thing to note is they want to keep everyone out of the area, including residents, to minimize any interference with search/recovery and repair/cleanup work. They will even detain people and give them level 2 misdemeanor tickets for violating the no-go zone without proper clearance and ID. (I.e., for first responders and the press). So I would recommend you do what I did and don't try to go beyond wherever a cop tells you to stop.

Another option is to take Amtrak round trip between SB and Carp and then back. If you do it during the daytime you get a good view. I came up last night on Amtrack to the Goleta station so I could be in the office today and even in the dark I got a glimpse of the damage. Traveling through in the daytime would be quite an eye-opener for what happened lower down. I suppose at low tide you could also walk or ride pretty far along the beach, at least until someone tells you to stop. I'm heading back on Amtrak tonight but it will be dark again so I won't be able to see very much.

Mechanic and bender66 like this.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

And now, comes the even tougher thing, for those who don't know if they should pray for rain in CA, or not.

The rest of the State, at least where it has not burned, need the precip and will be in a desperate way if it doesn't come.

And yet we know, until this war scene has had a chance to dry out more, the recovery and the difficult tasks associated with it will drag out so much longer.

So, whose pleas will be heard?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

16. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    A heartbreaking tragedy :(

17. bender66

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    As I was riding over I knew I'd only get so far. My desire to gawk isn't so high that I'd hinder anything that is being accomplished over there. People are grieving, coping, absorbing, & trying to get stuff accomplished. I wouldn't want to interfere.

That being said everything is closed. Cabrillo Highway is blocked at the Bath House. At Old Coast Highway it's blocked at Salinas where I thought I might be able to ride past the Country Club. Before Amtrak started running people were walking/riding down the tracks, but I wasn't motivated.especially now that it's running again. So it just ended up being a bike ride.

I'm safe in assuming all those frontside trails are gone. We didn't get anything this severe last year & quite a bit of the backside (Santa Cruz, Buckhorn, Oso) was wiped out. I thought the creeks looked bad back there last year with all the debris & boulders that came down. It pales in comparison.

I knew that Monday opening of 101 was a bit of a stretch. Too much debris.

18. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX
    My heart goes out to everybody suffering from the fires and floods. OMG, so sorry to hear about the friends dying. I can't imagine the horror...

I hope the healing can begin soon. Take care out there...

19. bender66

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Ok, the bear was real. 2 things. 1-A stuffed bear wouldn't have made it all the way down intact. 2-I've seen more photos of it with the tongue hanging out. It had been a live bear.

The frontside trails as I knew them don't exist.

image.jpg
    This house is at Cold Springs & Mountain Drive. That embankment must have shielded the house enough. It's now an island. image.jpg
    image.jpg
    That's a guardrail wrapped around the base of the tree. image.jpg
    Looking up the path with Mountain Dr on the right. The house to the left. image.jpg image.jpg
    Cold Springs trailhead to nowhere. image.jpg
    They're standing in what used to be the creek crossing at the Cold Springs trailhead. Notice the rebar. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Hot Springs creek bridge. It's now a 20'-30' drop. Guardrails were pulled from the bridge.

The destruction is incredible. Montecito will never be the same.

I don't see people being allowed to rebuild in that flood zone either.

Further down into the residential areas looks like a movie set.

20. bender66

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    That little creek was a raging river. This house looks like it's on stilts.

Lots of heavy equipment in the debris basins trying to clear it out. The amount of rock that made it down to the houses is unreal.

I mistakenly got on the wrong side of the Cold Springs flow & descended into the heart of the hardest hit of Hot Springs & Olive Mill residential areas. I apologized profusely & couldn't get out fast enough. I can't believe all the cars & debris scattered everywhere. I dared not to stop for a pic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.