Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Living in Carpinteria war zone

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chris m., Jan 10, 2018.

1. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

After the fires came the rain and flash floods. We have friends who died in Montecito and others who barely escaped with their lives. If the heavy rain cell had parked directly over our little watershed rather than theirs, a difference of about five miles, then it very easily could have been us. We are inconvenienced because the roads are blocked in all directions. But we mourn the loss of friends and are in shock after the illusion of stability has been stripped away. To inoculate against blaming the victims: everyone I am talking about was within the voluntary evacuation zone, not the mandatory zone. Everybody also had evacuation fatigue after a couple weeks of it during the fire. Anyone not ordered to leave made the understandable decision to shelter in place. Hindsight is 20:20 of course.

Lake Placid Blue, Piggy Stu and DonM like this.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I sincerely offer my sympathies for your situation Chris M. You lived in, or I guess live in one of the most beautiful places on earth, and would not have expected all the problems that have arisen. It will come back, but at least for you, will probably never be the same. I'm sorry for the loss of your friends, and neighbors. My son maintains a home in Oceano, and has a rental up the coast a ways. The California coastline in general is just a beautiful place on the planet. We lived for a short while in Santa Barbara years ago, but could not quite take root. That period of time is one of my fondest memories.

ukepicker and Lake Placid Blue like this.

3. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    That is so horrible, my condolences as well.

Many of the people I used to work with lived in that area, prayers for all those affected.

4. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    No words....

I spent a lot of time there in the eighties and nearly moved there. I still have a lot of friends in the area. Following these events is heartbreaking.

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I don't have any words. Condolences doesn't seem like enough.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.

6. VOXTOTHEMAX

VOXTOTHEMAX TDPRI Member

Jan 28, 2015
    California
    Glad to hear you are ok. Natural disasters suck!!!! Stay the course and things will get better but this winter will test your resolve. You live in a beautiful place and it will return to glory.

7. chris m.

Thanks, all. Not sure why but TDPRI is my favorite social media, much more than FB. Maybe because I'm not bombarded with ads, most of you are sane/polite, and we all share a common interest-- investing a big chunk of our lives in electric guitars.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

A bit of rain, or even just higher relative humidity levels, would've meant so much to contain the Thomas fire, but at the time it was not to be found.

Now, so soon thereafter, instead of normal amounts of winter precipitation, Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties get pounded with huge rainfall totals, all at once.

Natural events stink. Whatever this is; what's happening now, is unnatural and is worse. Really has to hurt for the people who just don't have time in their lives, this late, to try and start over. I'm convinced this is why some people would not leave when they saw the weather approach. People "become" the surrounds they have created for themselves over a lifetime. They're not really interested in living without that part of their life, so they just stand their ground.

My sympathies to everyone who has lost a loved one.

P Thought, drlucky and Jakedog like this.

9. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Yeah, spent a lot of time in that area through the years on business and pleasure. Hope the best for everyone there.

10. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Awful stuff. Don't know what else to say. So sorry for everybody affected.

11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    You guys have really been through it. I'm sure what we're seeing on tv isn't even 1/10th of how bad it is.

Sorry for your friends, that's just horrible

12. chris m.

13. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    What a horrific mess. My sympathies to everybody out there.

14. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Another native Californian here and I send my condolences as well. I hope the recovery is quick and your memories of your friends sustain you.

15. newminglewoodblue

newminglewoodblue Tele-Meister

Nov 16, 2016
    Southern California
    I'm your neighbor to the south in Ventura. The storm dropped about an inch & a quarter where I live, but dropped 6.5" at Upper Matillija. I'm surprised Ventura didn't take more of a hit on these mud slides. The storm was slow moving, and stalled on the mountain ridges behind us. That's why the upper regions got so wet, and all the hillside debris came down with it. The hillside above Ventura Ave. looks iffy to me along Cedar St above the avenue. We could have more drama ahead, unless the drought continues, then we're screwed in a different way.

16. chris m.

Jeez, maybe when things calm down we should have a get together for TDPRI folks in our area!

bender66 and titan uranus like this.

17. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I had just moved here when I heard about Augie's son Chris. That's horrible, as were these rains.

My boss just told me his daughters friend is missing & presumed dead. They had just spent Friday together. She has a twin sister.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the severity of that slide coming down the hill at 4am. It took all day yesterday until overhead images to show how bad it was.

18. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    I was bitching to myself about some minor inconvenience this morning and I thought about the fires and the mud slides and mentally slapped myself. I can’t imagine what you folks are going through. Hope you get a break for a long time to heal.

boris bubbanov and MickM like this.

19. chris m.

That must be Captain Dave of Island Packers' daughter. One is missing and the twin is in the ICU.

20. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Meister

Jun 19, 2012
    Fresno, Ca
    Damn. San Joaquin Valley guy here, but spent a lot of time in SB area in the early 80's (had a boyhood pal who had moved over there). I remember driving through Montecito, how beautiful it was.

You folks over there have had been hit with a double whammy. We've had a lot of smoke from fires in the hills above Fresno the last couple of years, but not the devastation that you folks have been through. Keeping y'all in my thoughts and prayers, and my condolences on the loss of your friend.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.