living in a van with my guitars?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by NevilleMan, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Karaokesquirrel

Karaokesquirrel TDPRI Member

Talk to some rock climbers. There are quite a few who live in vans (sprinters are popular) and I know some who park with permission in their climbing gym lots. No stigma in the climbing world for van life, some enjoy it! Check out some climbing magazines for articles on vans and van life. But fair warning, they don’t call each other dirt bags for nothing
    You will need to be careful the van doesn’t get too hot in the sun, it could trash your instruments.
    Good luck!

2. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

If I had just graduated from college, I don’t think I would have any trouble finding a job in Nashville which paid enough to afford an apartment, and gave me enough free time to play the guitar.

3. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

Your guitars will run a very high risk of getting stolen/damaged.

If you are serious about being a musician, I would not volunteer to anyone that you are living in your van. If two players of equal skill come to an audition, something like living in a van will be a strike against you. I am not judging, but I think some of the people you audition for will.

NevilleMan likes this.
  4. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

There are a number of sites, that deal w/ "Van Life" and it's not at all unusual, Surfers have been doing it for years. It does seem that most folks opt for a camper van w/ a bed, sink, small stove etc. Rush actually toured in one around the time of "Fly by Night." I lived in a SAAB hatchback for a few weeks at at time while traveling, and there was a guy who took one cross country on a Telemark skiing adventure a few years ago. Many Wal- Marts allow parking and there is a loose community that does this. Most State Park camp ground allow you to stay a week or two. You also might consider a small camper + car , Airstreams are $$$ but there are many other brands that are quite reasonable 2nd hand. Whatever you do take lots of pix, video, etc. if nothing else you might get a book website, or movie out of it.

NevilleMan likes this.
  5. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Holic

The best use of a degree I've ever heard.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

6. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

I'm not the one who wants to live in a van. Tell that to the OP; "Be a pro rock climber! But you still need to be careful not to trash your guitars left in the parked van in summertime and not to die sleeping in the frozen van parked in winter mountain terrain!" :D

7. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

This is probably true, except your guitar-playing free time would be just that, free time, not gigging time.

I have a good buddy playing there now. He is a really good guitar player, but there are plenty of others working who aren't that amazing. The secret to success (on lower Broadway, anyway)? Always say "yes," particularly at first. That means taking gigs that start at 2pm in the afternoon (sometimes earlier) as well as gigs that don't start until 10pm. Sometimes on the same day. So your availability has to be pretty broad. Kinda makes the dayjob difficult.

The thing is, there won't be hard feelings if you turn down a gig. But the guy who said "yes" is going to get the first call next time. The more times you say "no," the fewer calls you're gonna get. So only being available for 6pm or 10pm gigs is probably not gonna work for you.

Other things that are more important than being a monster guitar player: Be nice. Be prepared. Be on time. Be a problem-solver, not problem-maker. Be able to play another instrument (bass, or even one of those banjo-guitars). Learn to harmonize vocally.

Living in a van in Nashville sounds like something I wouldn't want to do, but I suppose if you could avoid trouble long enough, you'd learn where it might be safe enough to do so. All I know is parking of any kind in town is in fairly short supply, and not free.

NevilleMan and Wildcard_35 like this.
  8. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I find it totally inhumane that local government or law enforcement would have any problem with people
    living in vehicles

"not paying property tax" is not an argument

9. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Get a job washing dishes - you may be playing the Dives and Honky Tonks for free or tips for awhile .

10. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Like Bergy, I admire your spirit. Sadly, I think the risks outweigh the rewards. Lots of good advice here, though, so I won't add anything. Other than good luck whatever you do.

11. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

If you decide to go the route of living in a van make sure you have an alarm system .

12. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

I raced AAPro enduro and Rallymoto for 9yrs
    I’m on my 3rd Sprinter van
    It can be done,,,,there’s a lot of poop to eat at times,,but if you want it bad enough you can do it
    Best advise,,be aware of your surroundings,knowing where you are is important get a routine down keep your eyes open
    Whether it’s bad people looking to rip you off or Police thinking your some weirdo living in a van

Attached Files:

tery likes this.
  13. BobbyJames

BobbyJames TDPRI Member

Also +1 for the roommate suggestion - would definitely help for practicing if you're with a bunch of musicians, you could open mic or gig with them if you get on well enough. Plus, the loneliness would be killer.
    If you're gigging and making money (alongside gigging, I'd recommend getting a part-time job at a music bar where you can drop hints that you'd like to gig there, meet fellow gigging musicians, and just get a feel for the area's vibe - all great learning opportunities!) it shouldn't be much more expensive to find a cheap room-share option compared to paying for a van (assuming you don't already have one), a gym membership, fuel, the cost of renovating the van, and the risk of theft.

14. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I absolutely adore Lindi Ortega!

Thanks for sharing that one!

:) Peter

FrontPU and tery like this.
  15. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

I think there's been some genuinely good and helpful advice here, but it's sort of depressing to me how many of us (who spend A LOT of time energy and money on gear, and on this page talking about it, and I'm guessing have spent a massive amount of energy and a substantial chunk of their lives on trying to "make it") say it's a no-go. Neil Peart couldn't get a gig in London and came home to work at his dad's tractor parts supply, ya know?

NevilleMan likes this.
  16. Northern Tele

Northern Tele Tele-Meister

21 is the age to try something like this. GO FOR IT!! No guts no glory.

17. NevilleMan

NevilleMan TDPRI Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it.

18. NevilleMan

NevilleMan TDPRI Member

I appreciate the kind words. I've lived in Nashville for years and have already built relationships with a lot of active musicians around town. I know it sounds crazy, but I'd hate to waste these early years of my life not pursuing what I want in life. Thanks again.

19. NevilleMan

NevilleMan TDPRI Member

Thanks for the encouragement. Best wishes.

20. NevilleMan

NevilleMan TDPRI Member

Troll, no. Idiot, possibly... ;)

backporchmusic likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.