living in a van with my guitars?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by NevilleMan, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Unless its heated 24 hours a day, insulation will not do much.
    Depends how cold it gets over there.
    Here it would be impossible

2. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

If they change temperature slowly and never experience extreme cold, they'll probably be fine.

Changing temperature slowly means case plus something.

The softer the finish is on the guitars, the better they'll fare.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Northern Tele and tery like this.
  4. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You get the credit for originally posting this Lindi Ortega video brogh .
    It has become a favorite of mine … thanks :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    PeterUK likes this.
  5. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Oh really ? :D she's just great i really love that Song, the video is very nicely done too ! :)

tery likes this.
  6. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I knew a guy that lived in an old milk truck in the desert... he said it was insulated really well. I would look for a milk truck or an ice cream truck and put some big american standard locks on it.

7. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Dude, uh, I have no good advice.

There are some great players in Nashville, but you could also be an average player and make a great career too if you look the part and have the attitude for whatever you're fitting in with. I'm not sure where the myth that it's all A-list Heavy Hitters comes from. I wouldn't put too much stock in the "Nashville" dream unless your goal is to hit the gym...get signed, then make silly tunes to get on TV, but it's a possibility if that's what you lust after.

I don't romanticize living in a van though and it'd probably be more difficult/expensive than living with 5 dudes in a shack then taking the bus/walking.

8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

KOA campgrounds are great.
    Community vibe where folks watch out for each other, bathrooms, showers…
    Sometimes even the tent/park your car or van sites have electric.
    Never use any kind of fire for heat inside your van if you want to see the next day.
    It sounds obvious, but I've seen it happen.

CK Dexter Haven likes this.
  9. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

Maybe you could get committed to Parkview and they'd let you keep your guitars there? Maybe they'd let you out to play gigs?

10. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have a motto that if I think something might be a bad idea, I simply say it out loud, and if it sounds like a bad idea I don’t do it.

Examples would include: I’m about to upload pics of my “junk” on the internet.

Nah, better not do it.

Another example would be “I’m going to go live in a van with my guitars.”

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Piotr and Chunkocaster like this.
  11. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Some very good advice here, but my own advice sits on top or underneath it

Make your own mistakes

Sometimes the only way to live is to make your own error that you chose. I always accept the problems with my own wrong choices, but following the advice of people who don't know me usually ended badly. Someone who says 'I wear size 7 shoes' might be doing right or wrong for them, but it is wrong for me

I do listen to the experiences of others and avoid their mistakes

12. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

People living in a van is one thing.

But some guy randomly living in a van in hunkashank montana is not comparable.

If you want to play music in a big city you have to be IN that city firstly. Cops notice this type of thing. After parking tickets, gas, maintenance, etc etc I'd say it becomes a bigger hassle & more expensive than just having roommates on a less than stellar side of town and taking the bus or uber.

I used to pay $300/mo not long ago back in Chicago living with 4 people in a 1200/mo apartment...and no car. I'm not single anymore but I'd imagine you can get away with a similar arrangement in Nashville, get a part time job, and do music at the same time. Just don't get anyone pregnant, when they say they're on the pill don't take their word for it!! (no regrets)

As for the silly guitar/temperature thing....get over it fast. When on the road your gear goes in unheated gear trailers, or gets stowed underneath the airplane, or in a box truck to cartage, etc. What do you think cats in New York do, drive to the gigs??? They wait in 10 degrees below subway stations to make the next show, same goes for Chicago if you don't have a car. Instruments can be fixed.

13. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Am I the only one who caught this part of the post? What will your degree be in? Use it to get a job. Use the money to procure housing. You can still be a musician...it's called having a day job.

Archtop Bill and DaphneBlue like this.
  14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Also, if you don't already own said van, when you do the math on van purchase, gas, insurance, up keep, that same sum of money could probably cover some months of rent.

brogh likes this.
  15. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Yeah... rent a room in a decent home. My buddy travels around the country looking for the meaning of life (he's 70, go figure), working odd job's. He has quite a bit of money as he's never been married and has no children.

He finds a nice room to rent in a nice home, with bathroom and kitchen privileges. Works out fine.

Also, weird things can happen living in a van. 50 years ago it was easier, but still pretty rough.

16. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

Advice from a guy who went to Nashville and actually did some gigs and some low budget session. Nashville will totally break your heart. It's not the town it's made out to be. If you're going down there, make sure of 2 things: you have a day job(most of the bar gigs pay strictly tips) and get into the Local 257 union. Tennessee is a right to work state but most better gigs still won't have you without that union card.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  17. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

Hmmm... Everyone here thinks you're either crazy or stupid.

I have lived in my van for I think 6 years total between 2002 and 2014, with my drumkit(s) in there with me, worked as an acupuncturist, taught yoga, teched drums during music festivals, gigged and recorded with an original rock band and a cover band (had to play covers to replace sticks and heads, after all), had a hot girlfriend(s), and got a free ski pass and rented an apartment when it got cold. It also helped me save money to travel back and forth to India to learn yoga,

All in all, Probably the best and most valid thing I've done with my life. Not easy tho.

Looking back on it, I wish I had moved to Yosemite Valley when I was 25 but I was too afraid to. Total mistake.

I lived in my van thru one particularly frigid winter when I was 46 years old (not intentionally and I was pretty cold), you can certainly do it at college graduate age. I got some serious checking on my 50's Gibson archtop due to the cold nights and warm sunny days. Oh well.

As far as van camping in the city...that's a different pickle. I did it in ski towns where the lifestyle is a bit more accepted, as long as you're not a drunken madman. In a busy city it will be different. You have to keep a super low profile. I know that Walmart had or has an open camping policy in their parking lots. I can absolutely tell you that having either a cab-over camper on a pickup truck, or a true camper van with a hightop is totally essential. If you are in a regular cargo van you will rapidly go insane from never being able to stand up straight. When people see beater vans on their street they want to know who it belongs to. If you have a true camper they usually have curtains so folks can't peep in, and most people and especially police assume retirees own it and it's just parked.

Do what you want and have fun. You're not going to die, and you have the rest of your life to live in an apartment, pay exorbitant rent, deal with roommates, etc.

NevilleMan and CK Dexter Haven like this.
  18. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I echo what was said above about practicing your rump off - the suckiest Nashville guitarists are probably far better than anyone we ever personally met. About a year ago I played drums in a band and the guitarist was a former Nashville studio musician. He's in his mid 60's, his hands are affected by arthritis, and he still destroys me on the guitar.

Also, wrapping guitars (or anything) in blankets won't provide heat to them.

Theft would be a primary concern.

I'm thinking that Nashville is to guys who dream about being musicians what Hollyweird is to women who dream of becoming actresses - it's widely know that many of those women end up as strippers and prostitutes when things don't pan out....

19. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I certainly contributed a smart ass comment to this thread, but really just to be funny.

Actually, I appreciate the OP’s passion and figure he wouldn’t even consider it if he wasn’t a pretty good player.

I also believe the adage that it’s better to regret things you did than things you didn’t do.

So smart ass remarks aside, I wish the OP luck.

WingedWords likes this.
  20. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

New poster, 2 posts, both the same thread. I guess one was deleted, so now new poster, one post.

Seems like a troll post.

NevilleMan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.