Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Live performance gadgets

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by EuroBailey, Jul 10, 2018.

1. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2012
    melbourne australia
    Hi team, just scoping out some options for a live performance type setup in the way of loopers / effects.

I am keen to try and do a live performance of a song at wedding (my own).... and have the idea of a few things

(1) will loop a few tracks. Whilst i get the general premise of looping, ideally something with two tracks e.g. so i can do bassline for chorus and verse and switch between the two. I know the boss rc-30 will do this and ditto x4?
    (2) something i can use to add a "synth" style drum beat into the loop? e.g. i know the the boss rc3 etc has beats or people use their guitar as a drum but i want something a bit "bigger" and synth style than a traditional drum kit.
    (3) what can i use for vocals - just to add some effects (e.g. reverb or harmony or even hi pass? if possible?). basically to make my voice sound better :)

I know there are a lot of things i am requesting above, and its possibly far to $$ to do all of the above without having 3 different pedals! i am just seeing what people have tried here or what different options i have available to look at ?

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I've used my Jamman Stereo at live events. The drums are not natural at all, but that might be what you are looking for. If not, it has tons of memory for pre gig recording. It also has an XLR in for a dynamic microphone for vocals or recording percussive sounds into your loops. The Stereo output allows you to have your first loops going into a bass amps (which drums sound great through) and then you can add on your final lead guitar into a guitar amp, which sounds like a full band on stage when both amps are going.

3. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2016
    Phoenix AZ
    TC Helicon Mic Mechanic is great for adding delay and/or reverb to your vox, plus it has a variable pitch correction and a one-button compressor/de-esser/EQ. I use the TC Helicon Harmony Singer along with it when I'm playing solo.

4. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2012
    melbourne australia
    Can you use a drum machine or simiLar through something like this? Or better to pre-record drum sounds?

5. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Yes, I actually ran an old Boss drum machine through the Aux In on my Jamman.

radiocaster and EuroBailey like this.

6. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Just to add a note. A looper in a live performance takes a lot of practice. It is not a "pedal" in the usual effects context. It is a completely different thing with lots of timing that needs to be practiced just as much as the guitar.

EuroBailey likes this.

7. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2012
    melbourne australia
    yep for sure - the song i am doing will be fairly simple - one repeated guitar line, one bass line and a simple "synth drum beat".
    my dad has a beat box and a ditto, and I am considering just starting with that and seeing if i can lay down what i have in my head using just those two to start!

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I use my looper (on my amp) for one song with one band I play with.
    I have a Boss ME80 with a footswitchable looper, I’m just still afraid to us it “live”.
    Gotta work through that.

9. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2012
    melbourne australia
    Still researching this space - seems like something like an Akai mpc1000 might do the job for the “beats element”? Anyone had experience with this? Planning on running it straight into the looper . They also seem very expensive in Aus!

The other option is something like a beat buddy outside of the looper but I think this is more complicated then what I need and would require multiple stomps to stop the loop and beat buddy

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 10:11 PM

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.