Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Live dead by The Grateful Dead

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TeleAndSG, Sep 28, 2017.

1. dr_tom

dr_tom Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2013
    Ontario
    I was trying to look up some information on Dark Star and came across a published essay about the version on Live/Dead. Bloody fascinating read. I then looked up the version on YouTube and I could see the interplay the author was describing. Something to the effect of Phil and Bob trying to get off of the intro sequence and Jerry refusing to play an F# instead of F (iirc... it was years ago). After Phil makes a few pushy attempts Jerry relents and they move on. It forced me to rethink and appreciate the Dead more than I had previously. Younger me never quite 'got' the musicianship and the ethic of the band.

TeleAndSG likes this.

2. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    That really gave me a good laugh Paul. I had similar experiences back in the day.
    Every time I drove by Robert Hunter Drive up in Carefree I wondered if it was "The" Robert Hunter...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/E...aa071b11d4!8m2!3d33.831378!4d-111.88814?hl=en

TeleAndSG likes this.

3. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    It's really interesting, isn't it? It's a reason that I just roll my eyes when I hear comments about self indulgent solos and noodling blah blah blah. The entire band, when they were on, was a big unit and played as such. Jerry's guitar is obviously front and center much of time, but a good ear will reveal that so much is going on at the same time.

I get not liking the band, but it was anything but a vehicle for mindless noodling. The transition from The Eleven to Lovelight on this album shows the band's mastery of that interplay really well. As someone that has tried to get his band to attempt some sort of cohesive transition from song to song, it's freaking difficult to do! Everyone has to be listening and capable.

4. rdonahue

rdonahue Tele-Meister

Apr 21, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    Do you happen to have a link to that essay? I'd like to check it out.

TeleAndSG likes this.

5. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    When the album came out, a friend and I took our Sony and Akai reel to reels and kept speeding up then rerecording Dark Star until it was only a few seconds long. Obviously we lost 100% of the signal , but it was still fun. Along the way we slowed it down to normal after multiple speed ups. All the highs were gone, the vocals sounded like cats when they try to talk. Now w an app you can speed up tunes w-out altering pitch, so if the universe suddenly starts ending its because I wanted to do it right.

dr_tom and TeleAndSG like this.

6. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    They always said their jams were "musical conversations", terminology also used by jazz players pretty often. And if you're listening, you realize that sometimes they're agreeing on the topic of conversation and sometimes it's more of a musical argument. Which can also work really well, with different guys pulling in different directions and then seeing who makes the most persuasive case and ultimately gets the other guys going in their direction...

7. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    If what they did was endless noodling, then every great jazz artist also "indulged" in endless noodling. The essay in the deluxe edition of Coltrane's "A love supreme" quotes Phil Lesh mentioning that this albums, and Miles Davis' "Sketches of Spain", were frequently heard in Haight-Ashbury during the mid 60's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.