Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Live dead by The Grateful Dead

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TeleAndSG, Sep 28, 2017.

1. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    It was also some of their first stuff, with one drummer, after Mickey left the band because of his Dad's ripoff of the group coming to light. I think the one drummer period, which lasted basically until their 1975 hiatus, was some of their best playing, not because I didn't like Mickey, but with just Billy back there, they were so much more maneuverable than with both guys. They could turn on a dime and did so a lot during that period. With both drummers, before and after this period, they could build up a hell of a head of steam, but changing direction was like turning an ocean liner - they had to do it gradually. Whereas with one guy, they were more like a tight little jazz combo ready to change directions right NOW. But early on there were still growing pains. That's never been a favorite Dead live album of mine, but OTOH, it's when Playing' really started coming into it's own as a great vehicle to jam on. Their jams from Playing' are among my favorite ever, maybe partly because it came about just as the one drummer thing did, and that album sort of signaled the start of that period...

backporchmusic and TeleAndSG like this.

2. ponce

ponce Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2011
    Croatia
    Me too!

TeleAndSG likes this.

3. Reggie77

Reggie77 Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2017
    Connecticut
    I'm with you, I preferred the one-drummer days... the lineup of Jerry/Bob/Phil/Bill/Keith/Pigpen was the best and then pigpen died and Donna unfortunately became really prominent, howling over everything

raysachs likes this.

4. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    Maybe so, but as time evolved, the Skull & Roses version of Jack Straw became, and still is, my favorite song, number 1, of all time. Hands down, my favorite.
    Bertha, Me & My Uncle, Mama Tried, Not Fade Away/Down the Road......It's my favorite GD recording.

TeleAndSG likes this.

5. Arafel

Arafel TDPRI Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Denver
    Jack Straw isn't on Skull and Roses. It's on Europe 72.

joealso and Reggie77 like this.

6. Reggie77

Reggie77 Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2017
    Connecticut
    Yup

Not uncoincidentally my favorite Dead record

OlRedNeckHippy, Arafel and Ducksteino like this.

7. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    It's a terrific album by all means ... but I really LOVE their "weird" psychedelic stuff. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that, by 2019, we can finally purchase a 50th anniversary edition of Aoxomoxoa with the recently re discovered 1969 original mix.

Ex-riverman likes this.

8. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I've always enjoyed that period when it was just Godchaux on keys, Weir, Garcia, Lesh and Kreutzmann. No Hart, no Donna. They were open, swinging and tight as h*ll. Kreutzmann, in my opinion, was a better drummer without Hart around. I wish I could get the available recordings from that brief window of time.

1972 as a whole was also unreal.

Ducksteino likes this.

9. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    I purchased it, hoping to find a "best of" introductory selection, and instead I got Saint Stephen and 6 other fantastic tracks that were nowhere to be found.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    OlRedNeckHippy likes this.

10. Reggie77

Reggie77 Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2017
    Connecticut
    Agree completely

11. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    Man, I'm getting old....your absolutely right.

Arafel and Reggie77 like this.

12. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I love Europe 72 also - it was my first favorite live Grateful Dead album when I was just getting into them. The China >Rider was a real head scratcher to me at the time, changed my whole concept of what "rock" music could be. But now there are so many recordings available from the full, unedited (Europe 72 had a bunch of overdubs) shows from that year, both Europe and Stateside, that I rarely ever put it on anymore. There's just so much great stuff out there that I don't spend much time with compilations, which Europe 72 was...

TeleAndSG likes this.

13. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    I agree no more downloads is a bummer. But I am grateful for that Archive Player app. I load that thing and play it all the time now off my phone or iPad. Archive.org is an incredible treasure.
    That said, I've started collecting the Dicks Picks. I want the best quality recordings I can find and I trust the curators. Prioritizing which ones I buy next is the tough part. Right now I have 12, 22 and 29. The book 'Heads' by Jesse Jarnow has a great history of Dick Latvala (among many other interesting Dead related stories). What a story...

Ducksteino and OlRedNeckHippy like this.

14. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    I will definitely check out that album. The China/Rider medley is outstanding.

15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I still have the original mix LP on vinyl. It'd be nice to have it on CD.

Live Dead. Oh. man, that album is part of my DNA. I don't know how many times I've listened to it and never get tired of it (except for the "Feedback" side) I have talked to so many girls who have said, "When I moved to California I met this guy and we got high and listened to this album "Live Dead" and then we had sex..." I even told Robert Hunter about it. He got a good laugh out of that. Who could guess that it was a psychedelic make-out album?

That album will probably get played at my funeral. I've learned so much on guitar from it. That is the classic version of "Dark Star" to me. And then there's "Lovelight."

Internet Archives has tons of Grateful Dead stuff. You can search by year. I was listening to Winterland June 9th, 1977 yesterday. I think it's a soundboard. I was at the show with a new girlfriend. We didn't listen to "Live Dead" after the show but the results were the same. :D

OlRedNeckHippy and TeleAndSG like this.

16. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    Maybe it's part of the Deadhead experience too! :D

17. The_Doctor [EV]

The_Doctor [EV] Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2014
    Virginia
    If you folks are using Google Chrome, do yourself a favor and install the Grateful Grabber extension. Provides an excellent workaround so you can get at those sweet, sweet soundboards.

I think Live/Dead was the record where I properly got it, ya know, if only for realizing the possibilities of a form like "Dark Star". The 4/8/72 version has usurped it as my favorite, but that "original" version is rightfully the standard by which every other version holds to. Amazing.

18. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Thanks for the big hint!

19. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    Thanks for that 'Grateful Grabber' hint!

20. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    If you can, get yourself the 'complete' Europe 72. So, so much good stuff there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.