Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Live dead by The Grateful Dead

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TeleAndSG, Sep 28, 2017.

1. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    Frequently, live albums and greatest hits compilations are "products" released to fulfill commitments, or to get the casual listener. Not this one. What else can I add about this 1969 tour de force, other than for the first time all worldwide were able to listen to the Dead in concert.

OlRedNeckHippy and brbadg like this.

2. Reggie77

Reggie77 Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2017
    Connecticut
    That's a good record ... such a unique sounding group ... mainly because nobody sounded like Phil, Jerry or Bob ... each had highly idiosyncratic styles of playing that are sort of inimitable

Discreetb4u and TeleAndSG like this.

3. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    a fantastic album from start to finish. groundbreaking - skybreaking. shows the hard edge that marked the early years. The Eleven-Lovelight-Death Don't Have No Mercy is a tremendous trio.

4. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    With the Dead, their studio albums were there to fulfill contractual obligations, their live stuff was what they DID, so their live albums were a much better representation of who and what they were. Live Dead was phenominal and perfectly captures that moment in time which was full of that particular energy and the freedom of exploration. I think they became better players and a better band into the '70s and I like some of the live recordings from that era more (the Veneta concert from '72, some of the Europe shows that they've released from that year as well, a number of their 1970 shows which came out on Dick's Picks, etc). I'm sure if I'd been old enough to appreciate Live Dead when it came out, it would have had a bigger impact on me because it was unlike anything anyone else had released to that point and was really groundbreaking... But I didn't really get into the Dead until I started seeing them in the later 70s, so I had the luxury of hearing their 70's tapes at the same time as their earlier tapes and albums. And with that perspective, I liked some of the later stuff even more.

dr_tom, drf64 and TeleAndSG like this.

5. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    10,000 live Dead tunes in Digital Archive. Some are well recorded in Flac, Ogg Vorbis (ALL HAIL OGG VORBIS), Mp3 w high bit rate etc. If you like jammin check out "Lotus" while you re there, great band, better than the individuals who make it up and thats always a good thing.

TeleAndSG likes this.

6. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland

He was referring to the album "Live Dead"

7. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I remember a particularly colorful evening listening to this for the first time. Mind you, it wasn't the first time I'd heard it. Just the first time I'd really listened. Was quite intense! Enough so that I had to turn it off for a bit to gather myself before continuing on.

At times I prefer the more polished 72-77 live work, but there's a definite rawness about this album that is very compelling. It's neat that you can hear every part so well. You can just focus on one member or take in the whole thing.

brbadg, Chip, Ducksteino and 2 others like this.

8. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Yes, I know "Live Dead". I was mentioning a source for more recordings, some from that era. The Dreadful Great was the first band I heard live, 1970. Similar set list as "Live Dead".From '80 on I caught ever tour. I like what I hear w Mayer, so I ll have to check out the Remains of the Dead.

9. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    Well, even if they were made for contractual reasons, Anthem of the sub, Aoxomoxoa, Workingman's Dead and American Beauty turned out to be pretty good

10. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    It was the first album by the original Dead I ever heard.

11. Reggie77

Reggie77 Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2017
    Connecticut
    Agreed and they worked hard on those records, they were never meant to be throwaways

Ex-riverman and TeleAndSG like this.

12. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Yeah, it's not my favorite Dead era, but it's really interesting and enjoyable still. Hell, I like going back and listening to the occasional '66 show every now and then too, when Jerry was basically just wearing out the pentatonic minor scale like I've been doing for 40 years now. Only he did it, you know, better...

13. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    Live Dead?
    (Lady Luck)
    [​IMG]

or Dead Live?
    (Skull & Roses)
    [​IMG]

I'm kinda partial to the latter, but every note of both of them is permanently etched on my sub conscience...

Ex-riverman, Blue Bill and TeleAndSG like this.

14. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    LD and other live releases from that time are great, but I'm really grateful (no pun intended) that Dick's Picks came along.

The Archive is great, but when they made the soundboard shows unavailable for download, I was rather bummed.

Ex-riverman and TeleAndSG like this.

15. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    Now that you mention it, the 50th anniversary edition of their 1967 debut comes with a second cd of live recordings from 1966. I will buy it.

16. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I have the latter on vinyl - from the collection of my deceased FIL. I'm a sucker for anything with Bertha on it.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.

17. Ducksteino

Ducksteino TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2011
    NY
    I love them both, but for me it's Live Dead ... maybe because I had that one first. My folks knew some of the Dead, somewhere I have a picture of Mickey Hart holding me as a baby while he shot an ad for gongs, 1970 or so. Live Dead's in my DNA, I guess.

18. Ducksteino

Ducksteino TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2011
    NY
    Also, RedNeckHippy, nice artwork on your tele!

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.

19. Reggie77

Reggie77 Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2017
    Connecticut
    The skull and roses one suffers from the lack of a dynamic keyboard instrument... pigpen was pretty limited and Tom Constanten was gone when they recorded that one and it was before they got Keith Godchaux

Weir does his best stuff when he has a piano player to work off and Jerry solos a lot off of what he hears Weir doing... it feels to me like they are struggling to cover the missing ground on that record even though I do like it and it has some great stuff like Wharf Rat

20. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Meister

Oct 10, 2006
    NJ
    SG Jerry. Such a unique tone. Meaty, smokey, yet still bright and perky. Good luck matching the tone.

Fret Wilkes likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.