Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Little talked about thread

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 24 track, Apr 13, 2018.

1. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    we are all gear heads here....Surprise Surprise , but only on occasion does any one post pics of the mics they use , kind got my curiousity up here , there are a few of us that are active or have been active in the live sound end of things or the private studio ( and Major studio) end of it all

I sent away for the re-foaming kit for my EV PL-20 and it arrived yesterday so I went to town to remove the gunk filled deteriorated foam and refurb the mic to some sort of former glory, I have repaired many mics in the past and at one point had a standing order with a gear rental company to refurb sennheiser 421's, 441's shure 57's, 58's etc but this was my first attempt at a PL-20. Not much diferent from what i recall in the past.

this got me thinking that we dont post pics of our private mic sets that we use and I for one would be interested in knowing what we are using in TDPRI land
    P1011929.JPG

Top row: EV PL20, EV RE20, Senn E609, Senn E835, Shure SM48, Shure C606(X5) Shure DM?
    Bottom row: Audio Tech P 48 , Apex 180(X2 with interchangable cartridges) Apex 435 LD , Apex 415 (X2) Behringer C2 (X2) some of these are not the best but in a pinch everything works (some things better than others. but its a start
    for live I have a sampson wireless headset with the cables to go wireless guitar and an AKG belt pack head set mic

missing from my photo is another sennhieser E609 and a Beyerdynamic used in the Iso box and a DBX RTA M reference mic used for setting up studios ( on loan to a friend of mine right now)

P1011350.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

Im curious to see what you other member use and any stories on them or thoughts

3-Chord-Genius, 2blue2 and Obsessed like this.

2. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area
    Man. That's a lot of mics. I have a pair of Blue Encore 300s and a Samson Q7. I don't let more than 3 people sing at a time :)

24 track likes this.

3. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    IMG_1049.JPG
    I want one of these to go with this.

IMG_1067.JPG

4. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc

5. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

SM58, that's it.

24 track likes this.

6. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I use two mics for vocals, at the same time -- an audio-technica condenser for "dry" Vox, and a sure SM57 run into my guitar pedals for effected Vox:

IMG_1763.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018

7. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    SM58, EV ND76, EV CO9, SM57, Sennheiser MD421...

Gotta have the right mic for the job, of course.

Obsessed and 24 track like this.

8. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Meister

Jun 3, 2016
    Chicago, Illinois
    I have an SM58 and two SM57’s.

9. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Nice set up

IronSchef likes this.

10. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    421's and 441's are some of the best to use for live and studio, I was very sorry when I sold mine (2 of each) I hope to replace them if the opportunity arises again!

beyer160 likes this.

11. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2016
    Phoenix AZ
    All of us use Sennheisers, but I keep a 58 in my bag as a backup--the one I bought back around 1985.

schmee and 24 track like this.

12. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    No need for pics, I use SM57's for miking my amp, and SM58's for vocals, everyone knows what they look like. Mine are pretty close to 40 years old, so they look more than a little relic'd, but they still work great, never a failure. Thank you Shure!

13. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Holic

Aug 25, 2016
    2 SM58s and a Sennheiser e835
    ...and the built-in compressors on my DP-008ex get a lot of use too :D

24 track likes this.

14. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    No pics, but I have an insane amount of mic’s given I haven’t recorded a full band since the 90s.

Just off top of my head
    Behringer omni measurement mic pair - 8000?s
    Cascade sdcs. Never used. Harsh. Came free with ribbon below.
    Kel mid sized condenser pair. Pretty neutral. Liked them as drum overs.
    Aea R84 ribbon. Amazing electric guitar mic.
    Joly modded Oktava modded sdc 12? And Ldc body. Both very smooth
    At 4033
    Soundelux 195

Ooh, that’s bad already and I haven’t even started on the dynamics.
    Beyer 201 kinda hifi for a dynamic and good on snare top, kinda sorta hyper dynamic but some don’t like the off axis response
    Senn 421, 609, and 604 x 4 (toms and guitar amps)
    Shure Sm7(a) and 57 x 2
    ATM 25

Man, I should get rid of most of these. I’d keep the ribbon, the Sm7, maybe the Jolys.

Cheers,
    Geoff

24 track likes this.

15. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I'm building a private studio so thats why I have as many as i do, the EV PL/RE 20's can be used for every thing from broadcast/voice overs to amps, kicks etc
    If you do decide to dump them let me know theres a few you have that i could use

16. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    I've got a few of those, my new to me AT4041 for finger picked acoustic guitar has been thrilling me. Have a 421, E609 sm57 and an Audix i5 for guitar cabs.

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Cool I want to see more pics!
    Mics are fascinating and beautiful little craftings, with the mysteries of how they sound added in.
    I haven't touched my modest mics in years which is sad, and a few I've never even used since picking them up in ebay auctions.
    I'll have to see what other pics are up tomorrow and maybe add some of mine.

18. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Here's a question for you ....
    do you use mic pres with your mics?

the EV's have to be cranked to get a signal ( but do they sound great) I heard that Triton Audio Fethead

s-l1600.jpg

in line pres work great as well as Cloudlifter CL1

s-l500.jpg

work really well, never used them before .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018

19. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    I don’t own a mic, nor have I ever owned one.
    While in the Army and on a three day pass I went to Saigon to buy stereo equipment, as did millions more.
    One item that I bought was a Sony Sound on Sound Reel to Reel.
    It came with two mics, but I decided to send this unit home a head of the rest as it was more complicated that I had imagined.
    In fact I never used the Sound on Sound feature or did I ever need the mics.
    As an acoustic guitar player with over fifty years a terrible playing, I never owned a mic.

24 track likes this.

20. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Three 58's.
    Two 57's.
    Three MXL condenser mics for ameteur home recording.

24 track likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.