Little 59er Bridge with Goldfoil Neck- Which Pots?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Jsil13, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Hey guys, I put this guitar together a few years ago and after I switched the bridge single coil to the 59er I've noticed that it's a bit muddy and darker sounding than the neck goldfoil. When I switched the pickups I left the 250k pots as is and now I'm wondering if I should switch one or both to a 500k? I love how the neck sounds, so I don't want to change that. Maybe there are some kind of resistors I could use to brighten the sound?
    EFBD8AF0-2E09-4B19-975E-B579E165D3B3.jpg

It's a Telebird dubbed Space Cowboy in coral pink with the little 59er bridge, Mojo UK humbucker sized goldfoil, Rutters saddles, a Rolling B bender, and a Warmoth roasted maple neck. I'll be taking the bridge off to chop the treble side to make it easier to pick while activating the bender this week, so I figured I'd try to tackle the wiring while I'm at it. 2019-05-15 17.48.20.jpg

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I would wire a 250k resistor inline of the Lil 59 bridge pickup, that'll look like a 500k pot to the bridge pickup while the neck will still get 250k. Until you choose both pickups. Then you will still have a .047 cap? The 59 may be good with that cap or a .033 may be a good compromise.

Another idea is to make the neck pickup go - to the switch - to a concentric 250k vol/tone and whatever cap you've been using - to the jack.
    Bridge pickup - to the switch - to a 500k volume or 500k concentric vol/tone with .022/.033 cap - to jack.
    Or delete the switch and use the concentric's as blend knobs to jack.

Jsil13 likes this.
  3. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

I think I'll start off with trying the 250k resistor. It does still have a .047 cap. I pretty much just kept the wiring the same, but swapped the bridge pickup out. I've been EQing my amp or my pedals to make up for the more bass sound for awhile now.

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Change one thing at a time til you get good tone from both pickups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.