Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Linking tube preamp to peavey hybrid tube power amp?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by deafoldman, Aug 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. deafoldman

deafoldman TDPRI Member

May 24, 2014
    Appalachia
    This is a pretty dumb question, but if I connect the pre amp out from a small tube amp to the tube power amp in on an old Peavey hybrid (a Deuce, for example), what will happen?

2. deafoldman

deafoldman TDPRI Member

May 24, 2014
    Appalachia
    ....help out there? Anyone???

3. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    You will effectively bypass the preamp of the amp you are plugging into and replace it with your small tube amp's preamp section.

It shouldn't be a problem. You may or may not like the change but it works.

You are talking about taking the effect send out of the small tube amp and running it into the effect return of the Deuce, correct?

4. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    It should be fine - but you need to be sure the small amp can operate without a speaker load - most can't. If you operate most tube amps without a proper speaker load (or a dummy load of the proper power rating) you will eventually...and probably quickly...blow up the small amp. The output transformer will cook, possibly with smoke - maybe a fire.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

5. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2009
    Montreal Canada
    I confirm. I'm doing this on a regular basis with many Peavey I have.
    The small one will work as usual and sound will come from its own speaker while the big one will also play but will be the "slave" of the small.
    The big one will usually have all his controls non-operational and will simply follow the controls ( Volume, EQ, etc.. ) of the small one.
    But I remember one old amp that has its Master Volume and Reverb still operational even when used as a slave!

Depending of what is available on both amps ( Pre Amp Out/Power Amp In, and/or FX Send/FX Return ) and from what models or eras of amps you are combining, the results can be different ( "slave" delivering a lower or higher volume ) if you use different paths. Pre Amp Out from one to FX Return instead of Power Amp In of the other or FX Send of one to Power Amp In instead of FX return of the other.

CAUTION:
    - Always go from an OUT jack to an IN jack ( FX Send is an Out, FX Return is an IN ). I have no amp with a Line Out so I do not know about this.
    - Never link an Out jack to an other Out jack.
    - Always set all Volumes knobs ( Pre, Post, Gain, Master, whatever they are called ) of both amps to a very low level to start.
    - Never run an amp without speaker. A proper speaker must be hooked on the small amp.
    - Ground loop hum may occurs.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    JustABluesGuy likes this.

6. deafoldman

deafoldman TDPRI Member

May 24, 2014
    Appalachia
    Thanks, 5595bassman! Exactly as I had hoped... blended speakers and hopefully more volume. I will report. Have a Blessed Day!

7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Let's qualify that in case someone does a search in the future and misses the context.

That's true of *most* tube amps - but there are a few that have a speaker out switching system with a dummy load onboard.

And most solid-state amps do not need a speaker or dummy load.

Wally and JustABluesGuy like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.