Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Line 6 xt live or Boss GT8

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by sjturbo, Sep 12, 2017.

1. sjturbo

sjturbo Tele-Meister

Dec 3, 2008
    Tucson, Az
    I always get good feedback so here goes. I'm looking at multi effects for "fun". I just want one to play around with no serious gigging. Which would you suggest? Don't want to spend a lot of cash, just something that has good sound. Thanks!

viccortes285 likes this.

2. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Phoenix
    Try the Boss GT-1 it is good for fun and price is right.
    I have the GT-100 and love it but cost more.

littlebadboy and Frodebro like this.

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I agree. The older Line 6 stuff (pre Helix) is capable of very good sounds, but requires more tweaking to get there. I had a GT-100 (sold to help fund a Kemper), and it was really easy to get great sounds out of.

viccortes285 likes this.

4. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    I'm going to throw out a vote for a Pod X3 live for a couple of reasons

- All the connections you could want for home, live and studio, including a stereo input for practicing with CDs/MP3s

- Pedalboard format for gigging, including an expression/wah/volume pedal

- After the X3, Line 6 stopped including bass amps and cabs until the Helix, so if that matters to you, you're not going to find it on the XT Live

- Again, if it matters to you, footswitch format is more like stompbox switches, whereas the XT has the little rectangular "pads'.

- Works great as a full blown rig, or just as an effects pedalboard in the loop of your amp.

- Cheaper since it's older

5. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    The X3 is newer than the XT and is usually more expensive than the XT.

The XT also has all the same bass models available that the X3 has.

I'd go with a Zoom G3N or Boss GT1. They have much more flexibility in the number of simultaneous effects and the ordering of the effects than the older stuff.

6. sjturbo

sjturbo Tele-Meister

Dec 3, 2008
    Tucson, Az
    Thanks for the quick feedback. Had not thought of the L6X3 Live so I went to ytube and listened to several Kevin Dukes clips and others. It seems to sound very good and does not seem to be to difficult to program. Most of the GT8 clips are of heavy distortion and metal patches. Those are great for what they are but will not be my primary sounds. Bass amps and cabs are not necessary. What ever I decide on I will run through a MMRD50 (hybrid with 6L6's), very clean! Does the L6 have several amp models or is it stompbox oriented?

7. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

digitech RP 1000 or the new rp 365 (sounds the same)...used are quite cheap and I prefer them to the Boss stuff. Line 6 stuff seems to have a "sound" whereas the Digitech seems more neutral to me.

8. Redvers

Redvers Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2016
    Wales
    The boss is sexier and more tweakable but line 6 amp models will probably sound better faster.

viccortes285 likes this.

9. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    The X3 is based on the same modeling tech as the XT and will sound exactly the same. They both have amp/cab modelling. The benefit of the X3 is that all of the optional amp and effects packs in the XT are included by default in the X3 (but may also be already installed on any XT you're looking at).

10. sjturbo

sjturbo Tele-Meister

Dec 3, 2008
    Tucson, Az
    Ok Thanks! Which one sounds to have better amp modeling?

11. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.