Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Line 6 / HX Effects

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by codamedia, Apr 2, 2018.

1. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Starting a new club... something extremely rare for me as I am not generally an early adopter.

About 3 weeks ago I picked up the new Line 6 HX Effects.... essentially the "effect only" version of the Helix. I find it to be a very well thought out and versatile unit. 9 Effects at one time, three modes (patch, stomp and snapshot), parallel paths, two loops, two external pedals, amp control, etc... etc...

HXEffects-large.jpg

So far I am very impressed with the tone. For the first time (with a digital multi fx) I don't miss my analog compression and dirt pedals, although in my pedal board I am likely to combine a few things.

It will be a swiss army knife for me. It will be a stand alone multi-fx for when I fly, it will incorporate into my board when I use my amp, and it will supplement my HD500 when I go direct to FOH... and any combination of the above.

Anybody else using this new multi fx yet? Thoughts? Tips? How are you using it?

Danjabellza and arielyitus like this.

2. MBT74

MBT74 Tele-Meister

Aug 21, 2009
    Bisbane, Australia
    I’m giving serious consideration to shifting to one of these units. I’d probably still run analogue drives and fuzz in the two input loops and use the Helix for everything else.

Is it correct that there is a lag when changing presets but none in snapshot or stomp modes?

The compressors are up to par with analogue comps now? That’s great to hear. Are there any of your old pedals that you think the Helix doesn’t do as well?

3. codamedia

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Having two loops (switchable) is a great way to incorporate pedals that "you can't live without" into the setup. The HX is small enough to fit on a pedal board, so it would blend great either as a primary or a secondary unit.

I have never played a multi-fx that didn't have a tiny gap when changing patches, and this one is no different. This is something that annoys some people - I never really notice it. Once you are in a patch, everything is instant. Stomp Mode, Loops & Snapshots.

Digital compression has been great for many years now - IMO. Is it better than analog... NO! Is it another option... YES! I've used an old BOSS CS-2 since the 80's (experimenting with others along the way) and it's got a feel I have not found with any other stomp compressor. With the HX Effects, I dialed in the "Deluxe Comp" and find it similar to the CS-2. After a half dozen gigs and practices I can honestly say I don't feel like I am missing out.

At this point, from my own pedal board, no! But there will certainly be others that have their favorites and will feel differently. I will say the Tube Screamer, RAT, OCD and TIMMY are pretty much identical! That gives me a lot of confidence when I try things in the unit that I don't own such as the KLON or CHANDLER.

I digress... if there is something you can't live without or feel this unit is lacking, you can always use the loop(s)!

MBT74 likes this.

4. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2014
    london
    have all that stuff in my updated helix - great quality toys they are producing now

Bullfweet and codamedia like this.

5. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Question - it does 9 effects at the same time but only has 6 switches. Also, it does map channel switching but then you lose a switch or you have to bank up, hit the channel and bank back down to your FX.

Has anyone hooked a Ground Control up to this to give more control? It's strange they didn't add another row if 3 or even 4 per two rows.

Thoughts?

6. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2017
    Washington
    This stuff has come a long way. When I was in highschool, I had an ART Effects Command Center floorboard and that was the biggest pile of crap I ever heard. Every effect had reverb, even distortion. Some of the effects had such bad latency, they may as well have just been another delay. I didn't touch a processor for almost 20 years after that.

I bought a POD HD on a whim so I could play at night. Im totally sold from an effects standpoint. The amp models are great too.

Bullfweet and RyCo1983 like this.

7. codamedia

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    The footprint of this unit is quite small, especially for what it does and I believe that is one of the strong selling points. I find the layout quite flexible, others may not.

Again, I'm sure the footprint has something to do with this... but there is also a practical reason. There are some blocks that don't need a footswitch such as always on effects, volume pedal block and IR block just to name a few. This is something that will vary from user to user.

You can also engage more than one block per switch... this is very handy if a tone is created with a combination of multiple effects.

I don't use a ground control... but I do integrate mine with my HD500 as the controller.
    I get patch changes and snapshot changes without ever leaving "Stomp Mode" on the HX effects :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    noah330 likes this.

8. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    So just to clarify - I could hook up a ground control pro and have 8 switches for effects on/off and the bottom 4 for presets? I wouldn't really want a block for a volume pedal because I don't want to use any of the external control pedals. Does the noise gate count as an effect?

9. codamedia

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    I don't know enough about the Ground Control... is that the Voodoo Labs w/three rows of switches? A lot would depend on what it is capable of "sending".
    If it is 100% programmable (footswitches not tied to certain functions) then what you suggest should work fine.

However.... if it were me I would set the HX Effects in stomp mode (6 effect toggles) and use the ground control for patch changes, snapshot changes and use the middle row just to access the missing 3 effect toggles.

Yes it does...

noah330 likes this.

10. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    Is that the same size as a M9?

11. codamedia

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Just a little bigger than the M9...
    Similar width and an 1 1/2" deeper.

12. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

Does it have a foot controller input (Volume, wah etc)?

I think it might be a nice step up from my RP 1000 but I can't live without volume/wah pedal.

I use an 11r at home and for recording and headphone practice, if not my amps. So the RP1000 pretty much only provides effects for me in to the front of amp/amps.

I haven't heard anything get near the DIgitech RP1000 univibe which I love (HD500 MILES away).

Interested to hear the HX Effects version.

13. codamedia

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    The HX has 2 independent loops and 2 independent expression pedal inputs. The expression pedal inputs can also be setup (separately in the software) as amp controls (eg: channel switching, tremolo on/off, etc...)

The new univibe in the HX Effects is far nicer than the legacy (HD500) version. But to be honest, I do not have an RP1000 to compare it to so I cannot comment further :cool:

14. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

Cool thanks.

I didn't think I was especially fussy in terms of effects but the HD500 Univibe wasn't at all like what I thought a Univibe sounds like...though to be fair my impression IS based off the RP 1000 one which could also be miles off! :)

codamedia likes this.

15. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I just bought one this morning. If anyone is looking to buy AMS did $509.00 out the door.

codamedia likes this.

16. MBT74

MBT74 Tele-Meister

Aug 21, 2009
    Bisbane, Australia
    Mine arrived last week so I’ve been slowly getting familiar with it and putting it through it’s paces. So far I’m very impressed with the sounds. The drives are way better than I was expecting.

The effects loops really don’t like fuzz pedals though. The hiss is huge. Much worse than with the fuzz pedals before the HX.

I’d love to see some of the favourite settings from the users here. :)

17. codamedia

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Do you have the loop settings I/O setup correctly? If they are set to line instead of instrument, this will likely happen.
    Then again... some fuzz pedals do not wan't to be after any sort of buffers... they like to see the guitar first.

Bingo... the HX has not let me down yet in this regard. I haven't plugged in an analog drive since I got the unit other than to do an A/B test.

18. MBT74

MBT74 Tele-Meister

Aug 21, 2009
    Bisbane, Australia
    The loops are set up for instrument input. The problem is the loops themselves. It seems like it’s common to all the Helix models.

What I found though is that you need to place a good buffer before the pedal in the loop and then the hiss goes away. Pedals with good buffers are fine on their own in the loop (Klon, Hotcake etc).

As you said, pedals like a germanium fuzzface will still need to go before the HX because they need to see the signal directly from the guitar but adding the buffer fixed the issue with my other problematic fuzzes and drives like the SD-1 in the loops.

codamedia likes this.

19. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    I’m a member!! I’m really impressed with the Minotaur, the teemah, the stupor, and the screamer 808 drives. Last night I couldn’t get a sound I liked from any of the others. The only comp I’ve found that I like is the LA studio comp. very subtle, very useable. The delays, mods, verbs etc are all great. My next purchase relating to effects will be an expression pedal to play around with the wahs and pitch modulators.

Attached Files:

Southpaw Tele likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.