Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Line 6 Helix Owners Club

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by RyCo1983, Sep 22, 2017.

Which model(s) do you own?

1. Floor

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. LT

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Rack

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Native

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    Didn't find one with the search engine.
    Figured I'd start it!

Received it on Thursday...was sick and a bit too tied up to get to play with it...

Just opened it up today.

I neglected to even take a photo!

I'm definitely digging it so far. As usual, the presets are kind of "meh"...but once you start tweaking... I'm going to enjoy this new toy! I need to get some Alt-Country sounds going on.

Sweetwater is running a nice deal for guitar month on the "Floor" model. 48 months 0% financing and a FREE Helix backpack/bag. Recently Line 6 announced that the bulk of their retailers are offering a free bag at this time too.

dotpc and Allthesound like this.

2. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

Aug 13, 2014
    Rochester, NY
    Seems like a lightly attended club, but I am happy to join.

Just picked up a Helix the day after Xmas from GC. Now that I’ve have some time to play with it, and dig deep into the capabilities, I am finding a lot of great tones.

Currently I’m fixated on building patches for live performances based on all the tones and effects in my amp/pedalboard rig. Once I get it to the point where I can use it in a live setting, I’ll spend some time playing around with different sounds.

dotpc and RyCo1983 like this.

3. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    Haha yes...lightly attended indeed.

Welcome!

It is an incredibly capable machine!

There is an 11k+ member Facebook group that is worth joining. The tips, advice, patches, IRs...invaluable support!
    A handful of L6 employees are members and active, including their senior business manager.

dotpc and TheletterJ like this.

4. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    I'm in. Just got a Helix LT. I have made some presets and downloaded the free IRs from Line 6. I'm loving this thing after constant pedal buying and selling and fighting a tube amp, etc. I have an Alto TS310 I'm going to hook up later today and try out.

RyCo1983 likes this.

5. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    Welcome! PM me if in need of any assistance, be it patches, routing, IR's, whatever.

Southpaw Tele likes this.

6. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Afflicted

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    Have you updated the firmware to 2.60? Line6 just added two more amps and a few other things.

Southpaw Tele and RyCo1983 like this.

7. Southpaw Tele

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    I did! It's like Christmas every time they send one of these updates out!

RyCo1983 and Darkness like this.

8. Southpaw Tele

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    RyCo, much appreciated. I will be doing so. I'm going to use it for the first time live this Sunday at church. Making a preset for each of the 7 songs this time. May mess with snapshots for the Sunday after. I did load some IRs. Pretty easy unit to work with, overall. My big issue is figuring out the best way to set up my presets/snapshots/whatever. I'll be asking lots of questions!

TheletterJ and RyCo1983 like this.

9. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    The Facebook group is pretty informative too.
    15k members! Line 6 employees are members and very active.

I'll always recommend Jason Sadites and Chad Huskey YouTube channels.

PM me your email address, I'll send a P&W patch that I have enjoyed using. It has 8 snaps. I don't play in church, but the ambient tones, delays, and volume swell fun is there to be had! My Duesenberg vibrato arm going with all that is a good time.

TheletterJ and Southpaw Tele like this.

10. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

Aug 13, 2014
    Rochester, NY
    I’m happy to help out too - I feel like I’ve got a pretty good stock of presets dialed in.

I use a different preset for most every song. There is typically the same base tones in every preset though (2 amps):

- Vox AC30 or US Deluxe Norm for cleans
    - Same amp + Minotaur and Kinky Boost for crunch
    - Line 6 2204 Mod for distortion and searing, sustaining lead

I have a ton of IR’s that I got from Chad Boston but found one that I really like called “Basketweave... something or other...” which has a thick bass response.

Man... I really use the Helix for everything. Best gear investment I’ve ever made. Hands down.

Southpaw Tele and RyCo1983 like this.

11. Southpaw Tele

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    Okay, so I used it for the first time at church yesterday and here are some observations.

First of all, I was using an Alto TS310 (1000 watts version). I had the Helix plugged into the Alto and the Alto hooked up to the FOH (or FOC if it's a church?).

I had a hard time hearing myself through the Alto with it acting as a wedge monitor and set at 0 db. I had the Helix at about halfway on the volume and I was too loud through the monitor channel, which was why I probably couldn't hear myself thru the Alto.

I used a different preset for each of the 7 songs we played and realized I may need to use the same amp and cab for each song instead of mixing and matching. Too many volume and tone variations and needing to mess with volume during our sound check.

Alto TS310 is still too bass heavy, especially on the low E, so I may need to dial that out or put the Alto on a stand.

Overall, very happy with the tones and my wife said it sounded great and she never really compliments my tone because I'm not good at taking compliments.

RyCo1983 likes this.

12. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    Quick question for you Helix owners:

Can it do a clean polyphonic octave up. Meaning, can you strum a clean chord with the bridge pickup and get a clean octave up chord, or do you get a glitchy, distorted mess, like I get with the GT-100. EHX Pitchfork and Digitech Digital Whammy do a pretty good job with this, even my ancient Tonelab SE can do a clean, if somewhat gurgly, polyphonic octave up.

RyCo1983 likes this.

13. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    They don't have polyphonic shifting down yet. They hired a couple folks earlier in the year who have significant experience in polyphonic effects. That's something they are focusing on.

Southpaw Tele likes this.

14. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    The Helix DOES have pitch shifting. It's just not polyphonic. It can do in a pinch, but many players own the Digitech DROP and just use that up front or in the loop. That's definitely going to change though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.