Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Line 6 HD500X - A Rebirth

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by MrGibbly, Aug 5, 2017.

1. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Meister

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    I've had and very much enjoyed my HD500X (bought used/demo) for many moons now. It's chock full of good sounds, has an easy to manage layout, rugged, reliable, and workable editing software that allowed me all the tweak-ability I ever wanted. However, since I bought a Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 I've found myself using it less and less. That amp gives me almost all the sounds I need (and then some!) and at any volume I want. So, what happens to the HD500X? This afternoon, it experienced a bit of a rebirth...

I took it upstairs to my son's (12) room and ran the headphone out into his 3-piece computer speaker set. Wow! It sounded fantastic in the small space and he was instantly hooked. He's never had much more than an old Peavey Bravo with gain and 'verb to plug his Epiphone SG-copy into before so all those presets at his fingertips was like Christmas in August. To his ears, none of them sound "bad", and each offers something worthy of exploration. Within minutes he had picked out a new riff to write down in his notebook of ideas...creative inspiration from a patch that must've included a harmonizer!

Two things:

1. I love seeing gear get a second (or third, or fourth...) life when it finds its way into new hands.
    2. What happens to "us old guys" that makes it so hard to just enjoy a thing for the magic it creates (vs. comparing it to all the other even more magic things we've had or could have someday)?

I wish I could be more childlike in my musical endeavors. Anyone else?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    privatesalt likes this.

2. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    I intentionally sought out a Pod X3 Live a few months ago because of a specific feature set that seems incredibly hard to find - Bass Amp models. They're finally back on the Helix, but at 10x the price.

Also, besides being a USB audio interface, having a full pedalboard layout with a physical pedal for expression/volume/wah, it's also the only model that has a CD/MP3 input for practice/jamming.

I think all of the guitar and bass models are fantastic, but you need to invest the time in programming, and not basing any sound judgements on the presets.

I'm primarily looking to used just the amp models to feed a Torpedo CAB in the effects loop, and bypassing the older cab sims, although they're not bad!

Oh, and got all this in mint condition for $150

bbob likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.