Like my cheap OD more than my expensive OD

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bear04, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

Two drive pedals that I've used the most lately are Mooer's Black Secret and Hustle Drive.

bear04 likes this.
  2. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Meister

The Joyo Sweet Baby impressed the heck out of me too. But in the end it got bumped out of the pedal board by the Caline Pure Sky overdrive, another $35 pedal. You ought to give that one a try. That's a clone of the Timmy pedal but with different tone stack controls which make it super versatile. Awesome awesome pedal. I run it into my Barber Gain Changer (did this with SB too), OD tonal bliss.

GDR

valvestate, bear04 and kevsonic like this.
  3. 0utputXfmr

0utputXfmr TDPRI Member

My favorite Overdrive is still my $50 Boss SD-1. I get what you mean!

4. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I have a Joyo AC Tone that hangs right in there with my cool boutique-y expensive handmade pedals.

Oh - and I have a Mooer yellow compressor too that I use sometimes and it sounds GREAT.

bear04 and NothingGoatboat like this.
  5. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

Partly, I think, it is about what fits the situation.

I have a Timmy, a BB Comp and a couple of other OD's. They are all great, but in my present band, what works best is the Kokko Supadrive. Their TS clone is great, too.

(But I'm never selling the Timmy..:))

bear04 and kevsonic like this.
  6. dombar335

dombar335 TDPRI Member

I currently have 4 OD pedals on my board Caline Pure Sky, OCD, Caline Crazy Cacti and Caline Vintage Distortion (Rat clone). If I run out of room and have to give one the boot it very well could be the OCD.

bear04 likes this.
  7. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Visual Sound Garagetone Drivetrain on my pedalboard, I think I paid $27 used for it, and it's a GREAT OD pedal.
    Supposedly the original Drivetrain was very similar to the Xotic BB Preamp, which I have read is basically a Tubescreamer with a Baxandall tone set up, at 5 the treble and bass are flat, so you can boost or cut.

All I know is the Drivetrain sounds great with single coils and humbuckers. And it's a LOT cheaper than the Xotic BB , which I have owned , and sounds as good to me.

bear04 likes this.
  8. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Actually, the Drivetrain is like a combo of TS for the OD part, combined with the tone circuitry from a Marshall Shredmaster. The tone circuitry from the Shredmaster is very similar to a (passive) T/M/B tone stack in an actual amplifier, but w/the mids fixed (like they are w/an amp like a Deluxe Reverb).

Visual Sound originally developed the Drivetrain (I & II) for Reverend. The Drivetrain's circuit looks like VS combined parts of the separate circuits in the Jekyll & Hyde, which paired a TS with a (mostly verbatim) Shredmaster.

Tone circuit design typically comes with compromise, whether it's active like the Baxandall, or passive like the T/M/B in guitar amps. Personally, I prefer how the Drivetrain was handled, vs. the BB, regardless of the cost/value of the two pedals.

bear04 likes this.
  9. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the clarification, I've owned a couple original Drivetrain pedals, they sound great but are really big. The VS Garagetone model sounds very similar to me.
    I've owned a lot of Tubescreamers and variants, the DT sounds better to me than any of them.

bear04 likes this.
  10. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I agree, and I ended up letting go my DT II for that reason. There's like a handful of components between the DT I and DT II that made them sound a little different. I'd like to think that the Garagetone is probably a nice refined combination of the best of each.

bear04 likes this.
  11. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

I've got an old Reverand DT, too. I don't know what's inside but really enjoy the way it can go from TS to Marshall Land.

My ODs include
    Rev DT
    Ibanez SD9
    Tech21 Liverpool
    Mojo Hand Copperhead

so nothing really cheap or expensive but it covers light, medium, American, jangle, 70-80s metal, 90s metal, and fuzzy. It would be fun to have others, now that they're so inexpensive, but I'm not sure what flavors I'd want.

bear04 likes this.
  12. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat Tele-Meister

AC Tone, the best pedal! Sounds just like a Vox. Saved me 70 lbs from a real vox.

bear04 likes this.
  13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have combinations of higher end and cheaper dirt pedals. On one board I have a Zen Drive, a Barber Direct Drive and a BBE Green Screamer. The BBE is my favorite TS type pedal and I've owned four others, two TS-5's, a TS-9 and a TS-10. On my main board I have an MXR CMBAOD and an Ibanez Jet Driver. On the ambient board with all of the stereo mods and delays and stuff, I just have a Mooer Mouse.

I really like my NuX Mod Core and Zoom MS-70 CDR pedals for time based effects.

bear04 likes this.
  14. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

the soulfood is a great pedal I use in front of my overdrive pedals...but its not that cheap...

bear04 likes this.
  15. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

I think I bought it for ≈ 80€ new. That ain’t much for a nice OD pedal. Way cheaper than a Boss OD. But I won’t argue it, and say that FOR THE USE I make of it, a Mooer 40-ish € boost would be just as good.

(Which makes me think that I am under-using my SF. I agree with you that it’s the best pedal I’ve tried so far to stick in front of another pedal, or of a cranked amp.)

bear04 likes this.
  16. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

Not only can inexpensive pedals sound good, everything is always available used for much less than retail price. I find it easy to try pedals. If you buy used, you can always re-sell it and get your money back. I can’t imagine spending $200 on a pedal. I have a couple that cost me $100, like Timmy. But also a few Boss pedals, which are generally around $50 used. I suppose if you are a professional musician or in the studio recording, every nuance is important. But the vast majority of us just play in bars or for our own enjoyment. Inexpensive can be plenty Good enough.

bear04 likes this.
  17. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I think "convinced myself" is the operative phrase . . .

My live board has an SD1. I have an Ibanez TS9 at home for when I get bored. I realize it's basically the same sound. But when I get the itch, I put the TS9 on the live board and the SD1 on the shelf.

My home board has a BD2 or a DS1.

All of them sound great to me.

bear04 and RetroTeleRod like this.
  18. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I was just optimizing my drives again for the umpteenth time. This time I was trying to get a really good sound from my Stratocaster with somewhat hot pickups (DiMarzio Injectors) into a blackfaced '72 Super Reverb.
    Winner winner chicken dinner went to my original v.1 silver Jekyll and Hyde pedal. The TS side sounded OK, nothing special, but the Shredmaster side really sounded great. Knocked my most recent combo-- SD1 into
    SoulFood, off the board (for now).

bear04 likes this.
  19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

It's funny. I also have an original silver V1 Jekyll/Hyde, and, to me,while I do like the Shredmaster side okay, I have plenty of pedals with high gain sounds that I prefer more. But, the TS side is the best-sounding TS circuit I've ever heard, and, pretty much my favorite all-around OD ever

I should mention, I run the Jekyll side with the gain nearly OFF, and the level cranked up all the way

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    bear04 likes this.
  20. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Probably a function of the guitar and pickup strength/type. With other guitars I like other pedals better.
    Also a function of how much gain and the particular tone you are seeking, of course.

I do find that this version of the JH seems to work better with the volume level up pretty high in order
    to get just a touch above unity gain.

bear04 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.