Like my cheap OD more than my expensive OD

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bear04, Feb 1, 2019.

1. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

for me the joyo ultimate drive is a cheap great overdrive which can displace the ocd and a ts

bear04 likes this.
  2. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Admin Post
    a bunch of great sounding pedals around in the low price tag, i got me 2 budda pedals for 40 bucks each .. i really like them a lot and have all the bells and whistles i need.

sometimes we should use more our ears than our eyes or CC :)

DADGAD and bear04 like this.
  3. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Meister

Apr 3, 2018
    Los Angeles, CA
    My favorite overdrive is a Boss BD-2 I got for free with a Monte Allums H2O mod I did myself from a kit.

My other is a Boss DS-1 with a Keeley mod I also did myself.

This setup will do everything from "Bothered Twin" to "Angry Marshall" to "Exploding Hiwatt"

I get comments like "How are you getting that sound from those pedals??" all the time.

Total cost: 40 bucks

Knowing how to solder is the best gear investment I've ever made.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  4. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I've been really impressed by the ModTone stuff. It amazes me that I don't hear more about them.

Scott

bear04 likes this.
  5. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    My drive section is pretty well set for awhile now:

Used BOSS OD-3 - $28
    Used DOD Preamp OD 250 - $40

I'd be hard-pressed to beat that with new pedals.

Scott

6. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA
    The best non-amp tremolo is still a TR2

bear04 likes this.
  7. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    You're not alone. My Sweet Baby is in-rotation among much more expensive drive pedals, one of which can cost a decimal-place more. Some treasures just come in cheap packages I guess!

Another big surprise is that the Kokko Supa Drive, which at $19 sounds for all the world like a gainier, louder bluesbreaker. It's so cheap through Ali Express that they accidentally sent me two.

bear04 likes this.
  8. zhyla

zhyla Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2013
    Northern Hemisphere
    I’ve been super happy with my Joyo Space Verb reverb pedal. All four reverb types sound fantastic, it’s tiny, cheap, and can do really long decay.

I need to make a longer pedal board and pick up some more Joyo stuff.

bear04 and tlsmack like this.
  9. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    On a related topic, I just rediscovered the MXR GT-OD, specifically the "hidden switch". Sounds so sweet and natural in ZW mode!

So, now it too is going to be in-rotation with the Big Boys.

bear04 likes this.
  10. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    The DS-1 w/ Keeley mod that ElJay references is truly excellent. I have one -- with 2 mods, as I recall, still inexpensive -- and it refuses to budge for each and every other OD/distortion I have tried, including the $$$ stuff. I think the effectiveness of any unit really does depend on how it works with your particular guitars and signal chain. I honestly don't think that price and specs necessarily equate to performance in this regard. I do have one $$$ boutique germanium fuzz; it does not sound like much on its own -- can't compete with the Boss -- but, remarkably, makes a truly incredible combo stacked with the Boss. Otherwise, I have a large stash of highly-rated pedals that are in my closet while the Boss is on the board. I love hearing about all the people who trust their ears rather than ad and review copy.

11. WelshBluesMan

WelshBluesMan Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2018
    Wales, UK.
    I find overdrive pedals are a lot like beer...

There are all kinds of fancy beers with weird names and highly artistic labels, from obscure microbreweries you've never heard of, utilising various exotic ingredients to provide a unique and rich flavour that excites and delights the senses. They have names like 'Badger's Anus', and 'Thespian's Codpiece'.

And despite all this, I still prefer cans of Galahad lager from Aldi... I like my Blues Driver too.

Durtdog, bear04, ponce and 2 others like this.
  12. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

I've got the Sweet Baby and American Sound, and I'll add the AC Tone to complete my list of favorite Joyo drives. Great tones that I'd be fine spending more for.

There's less and less distinction between price point, and quality of sound. I've got quite a few spendy drives too, and the differences that stand out for me are quality of the jacks and switches (obviously), and the noise floor at higher gain settings. I'm a low gain junkie, so the Joyos do me just fine for almost all applications.

bear04 likes this.
  13. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

I've got the Sweet Baby and American Sound, and I'll add the AC Tone to complete my list of favorite Joyo drives. Great tones that I'd be fine spending more for.

There's less and less distinction between price point, and quality of sound. I've got quite a few spendy drives too, and the differences that stand out for me are quality of the jacks and switches (obviously), and the noise floor at higher gain settings. I'm a low gain junkie, so the Joyos do me just fine for almost all applications.

bear04 and chris m. like this.
  14. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Pedals remind me of the perfume market. Much like with sound how do you determine the cost of a particular smell? Most of the cost difference comes from how much marketing hype is employed, the labour cost and the small difference in the cost of the components.
    If the pedal works then only the sum of the components matter and they never equate to price difference between low budget or high end pedals.

bear04 likes this.
  15. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    I just sold: ZVEX Box of Rock, EHX Soul Food, Mad Professor Simble
    Kept: Joyo Vintage Overdrive and my old Rat.

bear04 likes this.
  16. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I get by just fine with a mostly Boss pedal board.

I really love the OD-3, the SD-1’s asymmetric clipping and EQ sounds better than my TS, and I also own a couple of dirt cheap DS-1’s that are great stock.

bear04 likes this.
  17. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Everyone uses and hears things differently, I have a $25 (used) 1x8 ss combo from a much derided maker that I prefer to any Champ or Skylark (or clone there of,) that I have owned w/ the exceptional a a Kalamazoo Model 2 that is one of the few things I wish I had kept. Does that mean the $25 amp is some sort of sleeper or that the Champ is waaaaaaaaay overrated or that the Kzoo is what every one should have. Nope, it just means it works for me in my present situation/ my signal chain and playing style. Pedals are the same..

JustABluesGuy, bear04 and kevsonic like this.
  18. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

CK the difference between amps and pedal price vs performance is different imo. Generally as you go up in price amps get better in construction, quality, reliability, and tone, though beyond maybe a grand or 1500 you start to see fairly marginal incremental improvements. With pedals you get some better components once you’re up around $80, but you can get truly great tones at almost any price point.

bear04 likes this.
  19. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior TDPRI Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Michigan
    I have a Garage Tone Axle Grease delay that I can't give up. I've listened to countless delay videos on YouTube with money melting through my pocket. And i'm always like, "eh..." My little cheapy pedal does everything I need it to and I don't chase the dragon. If only I was so satisfied with all my other gear.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.