Like my cheap OD more than my expensive OD

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bear04, Feb 1, 2019.

1. bear04

bear04 Tele-Holic

Jul 24, 2011
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I've had a Diamond Nine Zero Two overdrive pedal for quite a while. I wanted a second one just to change it up on the fly. I've read a lot of good reviews on the Joyo Sweet Baby. I watched some YouTube reviews then ordered it. I paid $195 + tax (almost $230) Canadian for the Diamond and $35 (including tax) for the Joyo. It sucks that I'm so impressed with the Sweet Baby I don't really touch the Diamond anymore.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Yeah, that one is really amazingly good.
    There's just no point in paying lots of money for gear when there's such great stuff available inexpensively

bear04 and Fiesta Red like this.
  3. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2007
    Lonk I-lant, New York
    My $40 Joyo American Sound is an always on pedal for me. Plenty of great cheap pedals out there! I stick mostly to Joyo and EHX.

4. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    American Sound, yep, another great one!
    I say, let the snobs waste their money on overpriced gear :D

bear04, kodiakblair, jvin248 and 2 others like this.
  5. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2018
    Toronto Canada
    I have 8 overdrives but the one I use the most is my Caline orange burst. I think it was about $25.

6. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

I'm in the same situation. I have a Timmy but the ones that stay on my board are a Mooer Blues Crab, a Mooer Black Secret and a Soul Food as buffered boost at the end of the chain... I've stopped fighting it.

7. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    I have a bunch of joyo stuff but for me, the Arion Tubulator is a winner.

It goes head to head with my TS808HW. Both sound epic.

And nearly every pedal I have is replicated by my helix. Such is life I guess.

davguitar, bear04 and blowtorch like this.
  8. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    and most of that stuff, your band kicks in and you can't hear those wonderful nuances of tone anymore, anyway

I do find having a plethora of different pedals good for inspiring me to come up with a new riff or groove, often. but that's more telling of my relative lack of imagination in coming up with stuff than anything else, when i lean on pedals for that

SAguitar, MilwMark, bear04 and 3 others like this.
  9. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2017
    Colorado, USA
    I've convinced myself that it's good to change up the overdrive during a set because it combats ear fatigue among the the audience somewhat.

bear04 and blowtorch like this.
  10. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I keep buying expensive fuzzes, and after awhile, my $25 Behringer SuperFuzz goes right back on my board. Next!

bear04, Fiesta Red, beyer160 and 2 others like this.
  11. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    ODs/Boosts are a funny thing.. they are really simple at an engineering level and yet we associate a lot of mysticism with them along with hero worship of the designer.

It makes total sense that a super cheap Fuzz/OD/Boost could be better than a boutique expensive one as soon as you start looking at schematics and amplifier design textbooks.

12. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I agree, again, that one's great!
    Also, for other really fantastic sounding dirt-bones cheap fuzzes, I reco the Little Bear Mammoth Wooly, and the mini-dano French Toast

bear04 and Fearnot like this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Is the Diamond 902 a copy of the same circuit the Joyo Sweet Baby is a copy of?
    Or is the Sweet Baby a copy of the 902?
    If so then you would be comparing cheap to expensive.
    If they are not the same circuit, you're comparing two circuits and prefer one over the other.
    A quick google search suggests that very few players like that particular Diamond OD.

bear04 likes this.
  14. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

+1 Joyo American Sound

Also, I stack a pair of Boss DS-1s, first at near zero gain more like a boost and second at less than 50% gain more like an overdrive than a pair of distortion pedals. My $40 (total for the pair) six-knob boutique pedal.

bear04 and JustABluesGuy like this.
  15. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

A lot of expensive, boutique pedals have pretty much the same schematics as much cheaper pedals. They are mostly marketing hype,
    and/or they give you a few extra knobs that have debatable utility. Their prices also must be higher because they don't have
    the economy of scale to bring down the price per unit. A company gets a much better price when they are ordering 10,000 op amps or JFETs
    at a go than when they are ordering 300.

The one thing about cheaper pedals is their construction is often inferior. Jacks built into the main circuit board, for example, and made
    out of plastic instead of metal. One advantage of Boss, EHX, Dunlop, MXR, and some of the other big pedal brands is you get higher quality construction
    but the price remains low because of the huge economies of scale that they have. If you use stuff like Joyo, open it up and look at it. I think you
    will conclude that the key thing you need to do is be very gentle when plugging stuff in and out, and avoid pulling or putting any
    excessive strain on the jack with the cord. If you do that then it is likely to hold up really well.

16. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    I’ve used an Xotic BB for several years. Really love it.

For old times sake, I swapped it out for my 80s Boss SD-1. That was a couple months ago. I’d forgotten what that thing could do. Hmm.

WelshBluesMan and bear04 like this.
  17. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2016
    Tip of the Mitt
    You've mentioned this before, and I really appriciate this perspective.

bear04, Fearnot and blowtorch like this.
  18. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    It's all a matter of what you really need. If I were out on the road for weeks on end, that kind of durability would be worth the premium. But since I only gig sporadically these days, and tend to be easy on gear anyway, the cheap(er) stuff suits me just fine.

If it sounds good, it is good.

bear04 likes this.
  19. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

May 14, 2013
    greece
    haha.. and there's more to it.try it to boost anything before.the only thing os that it might need some bass in its focus pot.

bear04 likes this.
  20. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    The funny thing is that more and more of the newer higher dollar pedals have jacks that are similar to the cheaper stuff. I've also seen where the pricier pedals now have the jacks on the backside, and typically there's no bezel for the status LED, so that the innards can be quickly dropped into the enclosure, and bolted in.

IME, the Joyo stuff seems to have the crappiest in and out jacks (although I'm sure there's worse), and the Biyang stuff is a tiny bit better, and the equivalent pieces in the MXR pedals seem to be considerably better.

I got a BBE 427 a couple of years ago - pretty cool sounding (except for the terrible switch pop), but the poor quality of soldering is a bit frightening. I was hoping to consider it the equivalent of a DS-1 for the 21st century, for modding purposes, but damn...that horrible soldering!

Also, more and more of the new spendy stuff is all SMD, even if it's a basic little OD. That's not a knock against vendors for going that route of construction, but it just goes to show how the differences between what was considered boutique and what's mass produced, are shrinking.

Personally, if I'm paying upwards of two bills or more for a pedal, I really prefer for it to have those bulletproof open-frame jacks by Switchcraft or Neutrik. IME, everything else seems to have a shorter shelf life, and many of the plastic-bodied jacks seem to have some lateral slop to them. And IMO, if the threads are plastic, you shouldn't even be able to put a wrench on the nut/lug, because it's easy to strip it - those things should only be tightened by hand/fingers.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    zippofan, valvestate and bear04 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.