Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Lightweight tube amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by profat, May 13, 2011.

1. profat

profat TDPRI Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Is this an impossible dream or does someone have the answer?

2. jimdandy

jimdandy Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2010
    Midwest
    Depends on what you mean by "lightweight" -- there are plenty of small tube amps I would consider "lightweight" -- Fender Pro Juniors, Blues Juniors, Vox AC15 and many more...

3. whoisalhedges

whoisalhedges Tele-Meister

Aug 6, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    15W head and a 1x12" cab.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    There are a BUNCH of compact and fairly light heads out there these days: Egnater Tweaker, Mesa Transatlantic, etc.

6. Billm

Billm Friend of Leo's

Mar 26, 2008
    New Jersey
    A Blues Junior in an eBay pine cab with a neo speaker is pretty light.

7. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

5e3. Light and full of tone.

8. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

Nov 7, 2010
    Maryland
    Super Champ XD is only 24 lbs.

9. FMA

FMA Friend of Leo's

Apr 29, 2003
    I'm not sure I'd call an AC15 lightweight. Mine weighs about 50 pounds.

10. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    BJr. Best sound at around 30 lbs...

11. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

May 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    Exactly. New Fender Twin is only 14 pounds more.

I've been using a Super Champ XD for a couple of months. It's so light it feels like cheating.

12. Stratelcaster

Stratelcaster Tele-Meister

May 17, 2010
    Twin Towns,MN
    check out Fox Amps. Ken was telling me about a Bassman style amp he was building a run of.......100 watts and very light compared to an amp of that style. His main clientele are aging steel players that don't want to carry around Twins or Peaveys anymore. The weight savings comes from using a 15" neo instead of 4x10"s. I purchased a Sica (Jensen) from him and put it into a 1x15 Peavey cab. The cab weighs a lot less than the head. I've been running a Peavey Classic 50 head into that cab, and while the chime is still there...the bottom end has expanded but is still tight.

13. daddyopapa

daddyopapa Tele-Afflicted

Sep 27, 2005
    BC Canada
    I have a Reeves Custom 12 combo. Pine cab and 12" Tonkerlite neo speaker. Weighs about 26 lbs and sounds great.

14. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
    5e3, yeah baby -- light as a feather. OK a 25 pound feather. If you were really trying to save as much weight as possible, you could do a head/cab version with pine cabs and a neo speaker. But my Lil Dawg feels light to me every time I pick it up.

15. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Jan 29, 2010
    Marietta,GA
    What wattage do you want? What do you consider light?

16. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2009
    Cincinnati
    Vibro Champ, Champ...does it really get any lighter?

17. mrtoulouse

mrtoulouse Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2009
    denmark
    another vote for the 5e3 tweed deluxe, it is light enough to carry as a bag and so is the princeton :) These to me are the perfect size and perfect volume for most band situations :D Sound their part too ;) Ime anything smaller also sounds small. I carry my tweed deluxe from appartment to bus-stop which is about 3 min walk and then from bus-stop to rehearsal which is another 2 min walk about every other day, and have no problems. Do have my guitar in the other hand to produce more of an even-balance. Great thing about fender combos too is that you can have a few pedals under the speaker :D Win-win-win

18. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    I have an Emi Lil' Texas Neo in my BJ, sounds great and the amp is I guess 28 Lbs., approx

19. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 3, 2005
    SW CR IA US NA PE
    My 1/8-watt prototype only weights a couple pounds. Give us some details on what you actually need in an amp, profat. ;)

- Scott

20. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

Far as tube amps go, I don't think I've ever picked up something with as much power to weight ratio as a Reverend Kingsnake.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.