Lighter strings for Bluegrass?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Vladimir, Apr 8, 2014.

1. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

Agree with others in that every bluegrass picker worth his salt that I know uses 13s. I use them as well although I do not use a flatpick or know one bluegrass lick.

2. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

This past weekend I attended the Boston Bluegrass Union's "Jammin' Weekend" in Concord MA with my Guild D55; I recently changed out the 13-56 strings to a "Balanced Tension" set, as I have been exploring DADGAD tuning. I may have sounded OK, but I had a hard time hearing myself with these lighter strings, guitar just did not seem to have the punch I expected. Part of it is the sitka top I know, but can't help but think the lighter strings had a part.

Well, it was a trial. Previously I had intonation issues in DADGAD, though this Guild did not, trying to fix something that didn't need fixing!

Bottom line, if your guitar will stand them, get yourself some Bluegrass or Medium gauged strings (not "True Medium" as the DADGAD strings are sometimes called).

3. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I've said this before, and I will say it again:

If you are at a bluegrass "jam" and you (and others) cannot hear you, somebody (maybe everybody) is playing too loudly.

There, I have said it again.

;)

4. guit30

guit30 Tele-Afflicted

I have always loved Elixirs, light gauge Polywebs for bluegrass, They came on my Alvarez and have stayed there. There is a new Elixir set called HD, both in nanoweb 80/20 and PD. They are medium gauge treble strings, with light gauge bass strings. They have special gauge .25 on G string.
    Martin has released a set of strings called Monel Retros. They are nickel strings, Tony Rice endorses them. Not a lot of people on AGF like them, a lot say they take awhile to break in.
    A couple of days ago, there was a Taylor 114 on Music Arts site, for 399, usually goes for 599 , I wanted it , but could not afford it, so I shared the link on AGF, I was dissed for sharing it , because they all jumped on me, saying it was used. It was marked in Good Conditon. And you could return it if you did not like it. The next day, it was sold. Don't know if someone from there bought it, but I should have Jumped on it.

5. Slydeco

Slydeco Tele-Meister

Thats telling it like it is!!
    If the other guys you jam with don,t hold back the volume for the singer or soloist then find another jam with people who do.
    I play Bluegrass regularly and this is Jam Etiquette.
    There I,ve said it too

6. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So I just installed the new Guild 11-52's and they sound really good. As loud as the elixirs yet more controllable. They don't feel flimsy at all but I might move up to 12's anyways. Now we'll see how long their tone lasts.
    I used to keep Elixirs for 6 months sometimes. Now I broke the G after only a month or so. That's what you get from faux steel bending

7. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Vladimir, this thread is really old...but then I am just back from such a long time. Have you found the sound you are looking for? PM me...

And will update from my previous entry...my little Guild F47R...with medium-gauge strings... has proven to be "louder" than my D55 at the few jams and workshops I have attended...hard to be the "Prostestant-in-the-back-pew" with this guitar. Is it the adi-top or the dread-depth or the medium strings? Who knows...but the physical size of this guitar makes it much better for the festival/workshop kind of playing...and if you are sitting with one or more people in a little cranny at a festival-hotel, its still loud enough and physically small enough to work...

8. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Great strings, I use them on all my acoustics, and install them when I change strings for others, everyone loves them.

9. MGibson

MGibson Tele-Meister

With that level of dedication I am betting any string you play is going to sound fine. :)

10. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

yes, square neck dobro is what you are referring to, and no , you can't emulate that on your acoustic. But you can make your fingers bleed trying ! Oh, I do not recommend you run out and buy a SQ neck Dobro and start playing it, your life will never return to the day before you bought one !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.