Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Light, cheap, *decent*, tele body

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by capt pearl, May 4, 2018.

1. capt pearl

capt pearl Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2003
    Ok. I’ve got a pretty decent ‘08 VB tele w a good neck and a fat a$$, i. e. HEAVY (to me. It’s 7.9#). It has a pretty sweet set of EMG noiseless tele pups that sound . . . like tele pups (minus the hum) (original Toneriders in the case).
    Love the color but hate!, Hate!!, HATE!!! the mismatched weight.
    Guitar Fetish has a PAULOWNIA VB body for $50. *If* I can swap parts over w/o a lot of heartburn, this sounds about perfect.
    *If* it turns into “Adventures-in-Hobby-shop” then it’s a waste of time.
    Reasonable or no?
    TIA!
    -Heart Burning in Purgatory

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    The only experience I have with GuitarFetish bodies was a XGP Tele body I bought a few years ago. My 1993 Korean Fender Squier neck, bridge, and pickguard all fit perfectly. The Korean Fender Squiers were apparently made to normal Fender specs.

3. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia

4. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    I have an XGP that has a badly orange peeled finish, but things fit well, and I love the way the guitar sounds. Had two paulownia deals, both had necks askew, pockets misaligned, holes bored out by artillery rounds. Don’t go there!!!!

5. MonkeyJefferson

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    I gave them away. Profiting off them seemed wrong to me.

6. MonkeyJefferson

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    Buy a Warmoth body for the difference you’d pay a luthier, and sigh with satisfaction as everything snugs together like a boss.

7. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Meister

Nov 26, 2005
    I once built a Tele with a GFS cherryburst paulownia body. Every cavity had to be enlarged (no biggie), the neck pocket was a shade loose for a Fender neck but it lined up with the string-through's. Soundwise - bright, resonant, light on the bass & sustain, overall pretty decent. Screw holes wore out fast, wood between neck pocket & pickup hole broke loose , repeatedly reglued. Looked cool, like a Fender. The "flame maple top" was I believe a photo or a veneer too thin to see the edge. Nice to play while semi-reclining in the La-z-Boy. Just finished a Tele with a XGP sunburst poplar body, heavy, good routing, slightly misaligned string holes/neck pocket., sounds & looks good. I recommend Warmoth but the XGP ain't bad for 1/4 the price.

8. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    I built a tele with the GF Paulonia body. Not a big fan but it wasnt too bad tone wise. Punchy. It was built as a travel guitar with machine screws/inserts for the neck screws. The bridge holes were not quite right in the body, the finish is super brittle and every hole you drill , even pickguard holes, may chip. The Paulonia is very soft under that brittle finish. So take care with bridge mounting screws and strap buttons, the wood will strip right out. It's a bit like balsa. Still for $59 for a finished body it worked. OTOH, I bought a finished Swamp Ash tele body this week off ebay with hardware for under $100 a couple weeks ago.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.