Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Lianne La Havas - with telecaster-shaped object!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by teletimetx, Apr 21, 2017.

1. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Several have mentioned Ms. La Havas in this forum before, due props, but I only stumbled into her last night on YouTube; the radar is almost always on for telecaster-shaped objects (TSO's). Ok, it's possible that something else was focusing my attention, as well. Not dead yet.

She plays many fine other guitars, but this one caught my eye. There be writing on the headstock that doesn't say Fender; it's sort of in the style of the slim-line Tele deluxe with strat-style head stock, but ya niye zhnaiyu. Some kind of fancy pickguard as well; filtertron style in the neck and can't quite figure out what's at the bridge - it's a tele style bridge pup, but the bridge plate doesn't translate to my impoverished vocabulary. Plus, Bigsby!

Fine voice, fine performances; interesting finger-style player. She's apparently had an amazing career so far. Worked with Prince. Maybe some of you UK guys know more of the story. Her entire set at AfroPunk 2014 (in Brooklyn) is also on YouTube, sporting this same TSO.

and a wonderful cover of "Say a Little Prayer For You", attributed to the wonderful Aretha version of the Burt Bacharach/Hal David song, and several other versions of her take on this song up on YouTube:

Happy Friday!

Harry Styron and Piotr like this.

2. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

Jan 5, 2011
    Poland
    She is a talented individual, isn't she. In terms of catching my eye - her guitar is not the first thing to draw my attention when I see her perform.

teletimetx likes this.

3. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    ...after a little more research, it turns out that her telecaster-shaped object is a James Trussart custom. I don't think I've seen any of these in person - the builder has an impressive artist list, but a lot players known for playing other makes as well. Base prices seem to be around $5k. Uses Arcane and/or T. V Jones pickups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.