Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Let's see your personal song books

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by brogh, Aug 13, 2017.

1. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Nope, not the one you buy, the one where you write words and chords down, i never had one, always got prints off the internet or books, i got a big copybook to start writing tunes on, i was wondering in todays age of the internets who still does this ...

I have an ipad and i know there are some apps that allow you to load on songs and have them all there .. but the pen & paper thing has some charm to it.

Just was wondering about it :)

Cheers

2. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    I have two. A bunch of songs in an Ipad app. The other is for blues night at my house. It's a big binder, I mark on it things that we as a group have decided on (8 solos here, how we start it, etc). When I go to a jam at bar, I'll pull out one or two pages for song I'm singing and not all the way on the lyrics.

3. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have several binders that I use, depending on whether it's for my band, solo, or jamming

I'm terrible at remembering lyrics, so I have some cheat sheets for that. Most of the other stuff is just a mental note of how the song is structured. I will jot down some notes on the arrangement, which helps me learn it. I pretty much will have it all memorized, but every now and then it helps to remind me of where solos are, bridges, etc, especially for songs we don't play that often (we are "semi-retired" from gigging and only do about a half dozen gigs a year).

Here's a couple of random pages.

20170814_100145.jpg 20170814_100209.jpg 20170814_101559.jpg

Cheers,
    Doug

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. raito

raito Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    I probably have too many. There's a loose sheets containing sheet music I wrote in college and before. Those are in the closet in my office. There's a small notebook I bought when I was in a fertile period. There's 2 different directories on my computer -- 1 for stuff I write in a text editor and 1 for GuitarPro stuff. And there's the single sheet foled next to my home desktop computer with some great lyrics and a bit of music for a song I started 6 months ago (that I thought I lost because I couldn't find it in any other notebook, even though I knew I'd written it somewhere).

brogh likes this.

6. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Thanks For the reply,

well i'm kinda the worst ever at recalling all the variations and lyrics, so I'm starting to put toghether this book, i see you guys use binders, i thought that too, very versatile and pages can be moved back and forth for different venues/sets

I lately played for some friends and went somewhat offroad a couple of times, wrong chords, forgot part of some lyrics, was no biggie we were all good friends so .. but this got me thinking that a songbook might be in order the next time :)

I was wondering who still writes down things by hand in this technology era we are in :D

thanks for sharing !!

7. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    Scraps of paper, mini notebooks, iPhone notes and voice memos

Steve 78 likes this.

8. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'm old school - even though I've worked in the computer industry for 30+ years, I am still a spiral notebook kind of guy.

I think there's something about the physical act of writing on paper that sets something in my mind. I can look at a handwritten note and know exactly what I meant with my shorthand and arrows and such, and having it on a nice neat typed doc or screen just doesn't impress it in my mind.

When you do your binder, get some of those plastic page protectors. It makes rearranging a lot easier, and your paper won't rip (like it eventually will if you just punch holes in the paper). For gigs, I have a printed set list, and then I rearrange my book in order. I don't use the cheat sheets on but maybe 1/4 of the songs, but it helps to have them in the right order. Then put a tabbed divider between the sets, so you can easily find stuff if you jump around (one tabbed section for each set).

Yeah I know, I won't get into the argument about using cheat sheets as a crutch. Back in my more serious gigging days I never used them, but now my band only gets together a couple of times a month if we're lucky, and gigs only a handful of times a year. And we know so many songs that I can't keep track of all of the arrangements (been with these guys for 15 years). Plus we play a pretty eclectic mix of stuff, so it's not just your typical 3 chord country or blues.

Cheers,
    Doug

teleaddicted and klasaine like this.

9. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs

I have been to many a recent jam where people have stuff written out by hand.

But you found the jam through the computer......????? (most jams I attend are public and I find out about them through the internet).

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017 at 8:24 AM

10. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I'd like to tell you it's all highly organized & digitized, but, no.
    IMG_1502978499.475619.jpg

IMG_1502978513.023228.jpg

IMG_1502978527.323137.jpg

IMG_1502978543.673144.jpg

I do have several hundred lead sheets/chords&lyrics stored on various computers and hundreds of printed pages, some in notebooks...yep. Large mess.
    IMG_1502978698.040169.jpg

brogh likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.