Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

let's play a tweedy game ....

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by brogh, Feb 10, 2019.

1. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Admin Post
    that's what at hand ... that's what is within budget so .....1 2 or 3 ? i'm very much leaning to the .. " go big or go home " side :p

RodeoTex, Shuster and JustABluesGuy like this.
  2. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2016
    Australia
    This is my Tweedy of choice.

Danjabellza and LoveHz like this.
  3. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2014
    Crook County IL
    I’m of the opinion that a Tweed Champ is very useful and to skip right over the Deluxe and move right into a Pro, Super or Bandmaster. So #1

brogh likes this.
  4. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    La Quinta, CA
    Of the 5e3 and EC Tremolux... I'd probably pick the EC Tremolux... But, I love me some trem! The one ECT I tried, I absolutely loved. If I'm just playing at home, this is my choice. Might be the same of doing a grab and go thing?

But, I also usually prefer 6L6 Fenders. I played a 57 Twin Ri and liked it a lot. I'd definitely pick it over the Deluxe.

It would really depend on what I wanted to use it for? Home only? ECT! Giggin' with a band? Twin!

brogh likes this.
  5. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    Twin: Wow. Gobs of tone. Loud!...What was that? Overkill for me these days. Sounds super stupendous. I just can’t use it.

Deluxe: Well contained mid to smaller sized package. Sounds so great at all volumes. You gotta work hard to get a bad sound out of a 5E3. For quiet time at home it loves dirt pedals. The interactive controls makes for a nice variety of tweed tones. What a great amp.

ECT: I have never owned nor played one. Lots of love out there for the EC Tweed amps it seems. I can’t say much about it.

brogh likes this.
  6. brogh

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Admin Post
    Hey Guys ! :) thanks for chiming in ..

Yup i must agree, after "toughtful" ( yeah .. oh well :p ) consideration ..

i like em all but the twin would be an overkill, and i already have a twin so something different in shape/size speaker configuration might be the right route to go.

Champ i've considered it many times, but i'm really not convinced about the small speaker, i need maybe to have a deep dive with one, but another time maybe ...

So i'ts down to the 57 Custom deluxe and the EC, and here, the Ec has the 1/4 watt feature that i like, which is not really so hard to "add" to the 57 eventually.
    What i'm not really into is the fact that on the EC the controls are different, and that it has tremolo which i like but i don't think i will end up using it that much, so custom 57 it is, 11 watts is manageable, and eventually i'll add an attenuator down the road if needed.

Thanks To all

;)

7. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2015
    Caraquet N.-B. Canada
    Deluxe all the way. Twin gets too loud before reaching its sweet spot, for my taste and my use anyways. Can’t go wrong with a Deluxe.

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Observation about the EC Tremolux review..... the reviewer states that the amp runs 6L6 power tubes. I had to back it up to make sure I wasn’t hearing th8ngs. Like the two versions of the vintage tweed Tremolux, the EC Tremolux is a 2 x 6V6 amp. I would like to know which version of the vintage Tremolux this one is...if in fact it is either version. The 5E9 Tremolux had a cathode bias output with paraphrase inverter. The 5G9 Tremolux ran fixed bias wih a long tail pair inverter. Neither of these circuits is a 5E3 with tremolo despite internet lore. The 5E3 Deluxe runs cathode bias with a cathodyne driver/inverter.

As for which amp anyone should buy, imho one has to have what one has to have. At this point for me....if I wanted any of these amps....it would be one of the 6v6 amps...and I do like tremolo. Although your SFTR and that 5e8A Twin are very different amps, brough, unless you already have a smaller amp I vote for the small ones.

brogh likes this.
  9. brogh

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Admin Post
    Hey @Wally, yeah i think the reviewer got it wrong, here's the schematic it's 6v6 :)

Yup i'm really going the deluxe route, it's a classic, custom shop, hardwired, seems a nice & well done amp, and it's a different "format" from the twin, i like 2x12 but another twin would be tooooo much cmon :p:lol: deluxe it is :)

Cheers

RodeoTex, scelestus and tery like this.
  10. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Man, those are pricey here in the States - I'm sure they are even more in Europe. It must be all that TDPRI Admin money rolling in, right? :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, though, cool choice - let us know what you think when you get it!

11. brogh

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Admin Post
    haha, loads of cash ... :lol: ......

it's some time that i'm after a tweed, getting the sf twin was .. eeehhhh " easy ", but there are tons of those around, there are rally not much deluxes around here, there are kits and builds, or the real deal which .. yeah .. forget it :p, i won't go the build or built by someone route, i have the radar set to on now, and i'm considering some options around Europe, buying in the us would be very very hard for me, shipping taxes etc

I know there are alternatives, i saw a clark, i know victoria, there are many that make something similar, but i need to put value hold in time the mix, so those are really not so "good looking" in that term

but hey ... if some poor soul who reads this wants to hunt me down a real deluxe :rolleyes: .. but in the price range of those ones :p .. not gonna happen he ? :lol:

cheers

12. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Now I'm with you!

The 57 RI Deluxe Fender has runs $2500 US. Or was it just $2000? Either way - a lot.

I see a lot of clones for around a grand. You can do a MojoTone kit for about $900. I have considered this. I almost went to Sweetwater's "Build your own 5E3" class last year, where for $1000, you build and take home your own amp - under supervision - in a two day class. That would have been fun - but life got in the way of me going (son's high school graduation was the same weekend). Sweetwater is about a 3 hour drive for me, so that would have been easy.

Good luck on your search - I have looked at clones on Reverb and Craigslist - I just have not found "the deal".

13. brogh

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Admin Post
    Yeah i saw that, there's a guy who makes videos, but i think it was mojotone, fact is .. you're over there :) nothing like that around here :) there's a built mojotone kit used for 1000 euros.... eeee nope :)

i'm not in a hurry it' will take me some time to find it at the right price, i don't mind used :) in fact i prefer usually

14. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Holic

Nov 24, 2017
    Texas
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.