Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Let's make a neck!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Chordophonic

Chordophonic Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2013
    Isle of Wight UK
    Awesome tutorial -thank you!

guitarbuilder likes this.

2. Tezuka27

Tezuka27 Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    Thanks, Marty! This is really helpful. Maybe I should be, but I'm no longer afraid of tackling a neck. I'm kind of looking forward to it. Would there be any disadvantage to doing a couple of practice necks out of pine before moving up to maple?

3. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    I have tool called "sureform" it's a frame with a replaceable "mesh blade". I think it should work as a poor man's farrier rasp, it can take off wood in a hurry.

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

Those are new drawings... It was easier to make new ones than to try and find the old ones....

5. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    No, it makes sense to practice but be aware that pine will probably be easier to work than a denser hardwood.

6. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

If the sureform tool stays together, it'll work. My cutter/grater/ blade part always fell off when I tried it a few times.

7. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    Back to the dots, it looks like the dots are standing slightly proud of the surface of the fretboard. I suppose with the curvature it the fret board the will by definition. I assume you will sand them during the finish stage?

8. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    They are level now, as I used a file and scraper on them, but were proud when I glued them in. I've tried to cut it too close a few times and the dots were under the plane of the fretboard. Next step is to sand the fretboard down some with the radius beam.

9. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Great thread Marty. This reminds me of the old threads around here. Solid info & techniques.

10. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Sanding....ugh.... anyway. I start with the belt sander sanding block on the neck shaft. That is 50 grit. It is pretty aggressive but does the job. Then I go over the neck with 80 grit. I use ROSS spindles in the transitions and inside curves. I attach some 80 grit sticky back abrasive paper on a flat block and block sand the neck parts. I like to hold the neck vertical and while rotating it with my left hand, I sand up and down with my right. Then I flip it up and down and do the other end. I keep doing this until it's done.

s1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Barncaster, mkster and John Nicholas like this.

11. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I put some sticky back 80 grit on the radius beam. I can't say enough good things about these aluminum radius beams. They are really worth it if you can afford them.

s2.jpg

Barncaster, moosie and John Nicholas like this.

12. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Then I take a pencil and make some hash marks on the fretboard surface. This lets me know where the high spots are. The more accurate the fretboard radius jig is the less work you'll have to do here. 80 grit reduces the time it takes to do this task too.

s3.jpg

Barncaster and John Nicholas like this.

13. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I mount the radius beam to the workbench with a couple small clamps and move the neck on top of it. I think I like this better than moving the beam on the neck. After a couple of minutes of back and forth.

s4.jpg s5.jpg

Barncaster, richa and John Nicholas like this.

14. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    After a couple more minutes. I like to hit the fretboard edge with a couple of strokes to ease the edge. It makes it comfy and you don't draw blood there from a razor sharp edge.

s6.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Barncaster and John Nicholas like this.

15. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I'm done with 80 grit on the shaft, fretboard surface, heel, and peghead. It feels really nice now.

s7.jpg

John Nicholas likes this.

16. cs51762

cs51762 TDPRI Member

Jul 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    What are the angles of these two secondary facet lines? Thanks.

Mike Fields

17. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    angles.png

Here are the angles. The lines are just tangent to the curve and can vary a little. I just drew and rotated to try and trim off equal amounts of the points of the primary facets. The later sanding and scraping will equalize them.

View attachment 446224

18. pagagigi

pagagigi TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Italy

19. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Fantastic tutorial. Thanks!

Details like how you hold the neck while sanding... that stuff is so good. Different for everyone perhaps, but still...

20. brownale99

brownale99 TDPRI Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Newcastle, UK
    Great tutorial, thanks. Just in time for my first neck carve

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.