Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Let's make a neck!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Daniel94

Daniel94 Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    Odessa, MO
    It's motor_city_tele's builds that you're thinkin of.

Here's the cherry one: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/motor_...nge-trunk-o-cherry.417037/page-4#post-5199286

And here's the American flag one: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/motor_...d-challenge-thread.263818/page-4#post-3221342

He uses Apoxie Sculpt for the bindings and fret markers.

papaschtroumpf likes this.

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    My drawing program is putting the dimensions out to 4 places. On my machinist's scale, I'm finding a simpler part of an inch that's close to that for instance. .3831 will round down to . 375 or 3/8". The thickness of the pencil line will be enough to see that you want to be close but not anal about it.

First the two perpendicular lines at the fret positions and then I connect them across the surface.

cs1.jpg

cs2.jpg

Mat UK likes this.

3. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Then I find the mid point of that line and draw in the centerline of the neck on that surface.

cs3.jpg

4. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    At those locations I measure over the simplified dimensions my drawing shows and put some pencil marks there. cs4.jpg

5. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I connect the dots with straight lines. These lines will be the edges of the 45 degree surface called the primary facet.

cs5.jpg

cs6.jpg

6. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Finally lines for this step are to take a curve and make an end to the facet surface. I used the bottom of a plastic wire spool. Now I will gather up a couple of rasps and files and start the primary facet carves. You can use whatever tools that you like to remove the wood. I like a Farrier's rasp and a half round file for this step. Some folks do it with a spokeshave. Some use a grinder. Some use a surform tool. Probably you could use a draw knife, or belt sander if you felt lucky....:). I like the control of the rasp and file.

cs7.jpg cs8.jpg

7. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    Very clear, thank you!

guitarbuilder likes this.

8. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

9. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

10. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Rasping and a little filing.... The primary facets are done for now.

c9.jpg
    c10.jpg
    c11.jpg
    c12.jpg

11. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Not to detract from this build thread, or pull him in here, but the fingerboard on TenaciousP's ongoing '59 Les Paul build uses vintage celluloid piano keys, cut into strips, and the butt joints melted together with acetone.

Anything, indeed.

12. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Dang - and here I was using Bondo when I needed extra mojo and all along it was supposed to be Duco.

Barncaster and guitarbuilder like this.

13. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    i thought u were talking about one of these for a minute there.
    image.jpeg

14. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Secondary Facets. This goes a lot faster because most of the wood has already been removed by the primary facet removal process. On the drawing I want to put a line that knocks off the points of the facets creating more facets. So we are turning a 5 sided shape into a 9 sided shape, which is approaching a semi circle. You can see the smaller dimensions of those surfaces and where they come from from the edges of the primary facets and glue line.

secondary facets.png secondary facets2.png

nickhofen, awasson and John Nicholas like this.

15. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Then it is a matter of putting some pencil lines to the wood in those locations.

s1.jpg

16. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Then you take a rasp or file and file off the wood until you have just the lines left between them. This goes pretty fast. I used the file portion of my farrier's rasp for the edge near the fretboard because I didn't want any chunks coming out there.

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

Tezuka27 likes this.

17. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Before you know it that is done and you can work on the transitions.

s7.jpg
    s8.jpg
    s9.jpg
    s10.jpg
    s11.jpg

18. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Then you use a scraper, sanding block, and files to refine it all and remove any low spots. This feels pretty good right now, but there still are a couple places that need attention.
    That's pretty much how this part is done.

I like to sand back and forth along the with the belt sanding block. It fits in there nicely and is a coarse abrasive. "Shoe shine sanding style" puts scratches in the wood, and I'm trying to take them out, so I avoid that method.

Also, remember you have to find out the methods and tools that work for you and what you are comfortable with. This is a hand made neck and there are bound to be some irregularities in it. Things like that used to be celebrated in woodworking.

At some point in the carving process you need to stop and move on with things. I think it is pretty satisfying to do it by hand and obviously you don't need much in the way of jigs and templates.
    s12.jpg

s13.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017

19. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Nice looking transitions Marty

20. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I love the addition of photos of each step along with the amazing drawings from your original facet tutorial.

Thank you so much for sharing this!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.