Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Let's make a neck!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Aug 2, 2017.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

I can't say that I've ever had any problems with any of the necks I've kept around long enough to adjust . I only use .009's on them too or light gauge on the acoustics. Most of those were mahogany too. I would think with a quartersawn neck that it would hardly need any adjustment. Perhaps there is a fault in the rod? Is it a stewmac one? One of the blue ones? You said you had the same problem on another one. Maybe you need to look at those two and see what's different compared to the other necks you made. Sorry I can't be more help. Maybe somebody else has experienced the same thing and will comment.

2. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Given the freezing cold temps of the last week, I opted to use a stewmac fretboard. I bought a new 1/4" forstner bit from woodcraft. One of the Bormax ones.... what a difference between that and the set of 7 forstners for 10 dollars....no comparison. I superglued in the M.O.T.S dots and plastic rod. I reduced the parlor fretboard dots by one compared to the last one I did. I think it looks a bit better with two after the octave.

DSC05746.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    mkster likes this.

3. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I used some cut off scrap for the next steps. I thickness sanded the mahogany for a tight fit in the truss rod slot. I cut that piece into sections and used yellow glue on what became peghead ears. I also plugged the truss rod slot at the peghead.

DSC05747.JPG

4. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

Sep 24, 2010
    Monterey CA
    Thanks Marty,
    I bet there are two issues causing this. I bet these dual action rods work better with the forces applied "up" if installed as StewMac says with the flat edge facing the bottom of the fret board. After all the rod is primarily needed to overcome the "down" bow caused by the tension on the neck from the strings. Secondly, quartersawn, roasted and nearly one inch thick would take a lot of force to move.
    Wade

5. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    After drying, I cut off the excess on the truss rod plug and used my little Stanley plane and a scraper to level the plug and ears out. I have to say that little plane gets a lot of use.

DSC05749.JPG

ModerneGuy likes this.

6. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I decided to put the peghead veneer on before the fretboard. I thought it may make the peghead shaping and drilling easier. I set my sander table to 12 degrees and sanded to the pencil line.

DSC05750.JPG

7. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I used some brads with the heads snipped off to hold the veneer place for the glue, clamps, and caul. after a half hour or more I removed the clamps to let it all get some air to dry and pulled the brads out from the back.

DSC05751.JPG

DSC05752.JPG

DSC05753.JPG

mkster likes this.

8. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    It would be interesting to know if the difference is because of the upside down nature of the rod, because many folks do install them that way with peghead adjustment, and it would be good to know that in advance. Maybe stewmac can comment on it?

9. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Printed out a drawing of the peghead I used last year. I cut it out and stuck it down with some double sided tape. I marked the hole centers with a center punch.

DSC05754.JPG

10. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Then I drilled the holes on the drill press.

DSC05755.JPG

11. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Next I cut off the waste outside the line on the bandsaw.

DSC05756.JPG

12. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    While I was cutting, I cut out the heel outside the line.

DSC05757.JPG

13. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Then outside to sand to the line on the small edge sander. I'll have to go to a smaller drum to get closer but this took the bulk off.

DSC05758.JPG

DSC05759.JPG

14. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Today I stuck the fret board on the neck blank and made some pencil marks on each side. Then I went to the band saw and cut off the waste, creating a rough taper.

DSC05760.JPG

DSC05761.JPG

15. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    The heel needed to be shortened and roughed in.
    I cut off the end and went out to the sander and sanded the angle in.

DSC05762.JPG

DSC05763.JPG

16. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    The fret board dots were filed flat and scraped to the radius.

DSC05764.JPG

17. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I bought some fresh silicone caulk and gave the spots where the truss rod blocks would sit a little bit. DSC05768.JPG

18. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I set the rod in and applied some glue. The fretboard brads put the board in place. I checked for squeeze out.

DSC05769.JPG

19. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Then I stuck my caul on there and used 5 clamps from front to back. Looks good. I'll remove the brads and clamps in about 45 minutes.

DSC05770.JPG

20. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Oh...out of order but worthwhile to post. I used acetone on the glue surface of the rosewood fretboard right before I put the glue down. Look at the oil that came out.

DSC05766.JPG

awasson likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.