Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Let's make a neck!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Aug 2, 2017.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    This is how it'll look when it meets up with the other part. First a dry run to get things in place and the clamps open enough...but not too much. DSC05698.JPG

2. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    The dry run.... clamp holding shaft down...clamp holding peghead down....wax paper under it all. The cutoff used as a clamping caul to keep the clamp in line.

DSC05703.JPG

3. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Take a breath...add the glue. I apply it to one side liberally, put the parts together, check the glue spread, and we're good to clamp. I wipe off as much glue as I can get at.

DSC05701.JPG

DSC05702.JPG

DSC05703.JPG

4. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    After an hour or so, I'll take off the clamps and clean up more glue without putting any pressure on things. The glue joint looks
    pretty good to me.

DSC05707.JPG

DSC05706.JPG

nickhofen and sergiomajluf like this.

5. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I extend a pencil line from the fretboard surface onto the peghead and cut it off outside the pencil line. This leaves a bit of wood to true up to the fretboard surface.

DSC05708.JPG DSC05709.JPG DSC05710.JPG

6. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Then I carefully sand with my sanding block until it is level and inline with the surface. I used my belt sander sanding block for this too. DSC05711.JPG DSC05712.JPG DSC05713.JPG DSC05715.JPG

mkster likes this.

7. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    And that's pretty much it for now. Lousy picture...I tried to lighten it up and clarify it.... you'll see it later.

DSC05716-2.jpg

sergiomajluf and Mat UK like this.

8. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Good way to stay warm(er) today! I am actually going to head into work later since everyone else is home today. (no school for them)

What woods are you using for the body?

9. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    It really is cold today. Some quartersawn hard maple from Canada.

GunsOfBrixton likes this.

10. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Next the heel and tenon portion of the neck. I took 2 small H. Mahogany blocks and glued them up to make a bigger block. I cut off the excess on the one side and trimmed the ends.

DSC05721.JPG

11. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I jointed the glue surface and glued the block to the neck. A lot of this will get removed during the next processes.

DSC05724.JPG

12. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I laid out the neck joint and tenon in pencil. I cut the end off at about a 89.5 degree angle on my compound miter saw. The two lines close together represent the side thickness.

DSC05740.JPG

Actually before I cut that part off, I ran the neck over the router table to get the truss rod slot routed for a stewmac hot rod.

13. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Truss rod slot on router table. I stopped short and then later on decided to blast all the way through to the peghead.

DSC05732.JPG

DSC05737.JPG

DSC05739.JPG

DSC05743.JPG

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018

14. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    The last thing I did was to rout the tenon on the router table. The router table is in the shed.... the shed was about 10 ten degrees. Not fun... I didn't stay long. I had previously made the neck and tail blocks, so I machined the tenon to a snug fit.

DSC05744.JPG

DSC05745.JPG

sergiomajluf and mkster like this.

15. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    The neck and tail block.

DSC05722.JPG

16. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Thanks for today’s tutorial Marty. I’ve always had an idea of how the scarf joint was done but those details, like the pencil line and the sanding were way beyond my knowledge. Keep warm and I’ll look forward to seeing this one come to life.

Andrew

guitarbuilder likes this.

17. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

Thanks. It's warm in the house but 1 degree F outside. I hope the propane holds up....LOL. I'd hate to have to get the electric heat to come on.

There are many ways to scarf joint a neck, but in the end it the results depend on trued up angles being glued together with a good glue joint. My first ones involved a band saw jig to hold the neck stock to ensure an angle... that always needed tweaking anyway, so I guess it wasn't much of a jig. Sometimes things don't have to be so complicated.

crazydave911 and awasson like this.

18. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    Great tutorial Marty. Thanks for sharing.

guitarbuilder likes this.

19. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

Sep 24, 2010
    Monterey CA
    Marty, Thanks for this outstanding thread!
    I have a situation that is really bugging me. On my last two necks it is VERY difficult to get the neck relief in. I am using a dual action rod...it is working correctly, I have made many necks with no problems...I can adjust the rod and the neck will adjust to a "up bow" but when I back out the rod adjustment...get to the "neutral point" with no tension on the rod and continue in this direction to get the proper neck relief (down bow) the wood just doesn't want to bend in this direction. Worry about breaking the rod which I have done in the past. The problem I had once that caused this was the neck was too thick. This one is pretty standard at .87 at the first and .92 at the 12th. The lumber was very stable...roasted maple 1/4 sawn. one piece neck. The rod is installed at close to 1/4 below the top of the fret board. I left it strung up for a couple of days and was able to get the .010....but it took a lot of tension on the rod to do it. Seemed odd to me that it would bend on one direction easily and not below straight level in the other without a heck of a lot of tension.....Any ideas?
    5.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 4.jpg

lbridenstine likes this.

20. s_tones

s_tones Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    central CA

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.