Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Let's make a neck!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Aug 2, 2017.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I sanded the whole neck with 120 and the fretboard with 220. I used the triangular file on the fret slots to chamfer them. I had to change to the 7.25 pressing caul in the fret press....luckily I could find it because I've kept the 12" one installed in the arbor press for more than a decade. I used short leftovers of my #148 stewmac wire and still needed to bend one length for one fret.... go figure.

Since I didn't overbend the fretwire for 7.25 inches, I think I'll glue the ends in with the rods and caul method, for a measure of security on the ends.
    The last thing was the bow clamping method to drive the barbs into position. All this is outlined in more detail in the first neck if you wonder what I'm talking about. See posts #163-171.

frets.jpg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    awasson, I_build_my_own and mkster like this.

2. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Epilog

I beveled the fret ends and knocked off the sharp corners where they meet the eased edge. Same as the first neck. I cut, sanded, and fit a bone nut. b1.jpg b2.jpg b3.jpg b6.jpg

richa likes this.

3. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    And a shot of the neck sitting in a MIM body. Next up sanding, enlarge the tuner holes, and maybe some finish? Thanks for watching!

b5.jpg

Barncaster, Mat UK and awasson like this.

4. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    I keep meaning to try that doggy treat thing for a bone nut. I should just go get one.

5. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    richa likes this.

6. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    I own a Foley-Belsaw molder/planer. I have thought about contacting them to make a set of custom knives for fretboards. IMG_4930.JPG

guitarbuilder likes this.

7. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

You can probably find a custom grinder on line. I'd guess a simple radius wouldn't be all that costly compared to a fancy profile. At one point I wanted a woodmaster or belsaw for the molding and drum sanding capabilities. It just never happened. In retrospect I spent a lot of money on inferior tools (Ryobi drum sander and Ross Drum sander come to mind) that probably added up to more than one of those. I also bought a 13"Jet planer/ Molder but that wasn't the be -all /end- all either.

8. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    The amazing thing is that they still make the drum sander kit for this.

guitarbuilder likes this.

9. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Episode 3- A scarf jointed peghead for an acoustic guitar neck build

nickhofen, oscinator and Mat UK like this.

10. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Winter means it's a good time to build an acoustic guitar. The humidity is low due to the heat being on. Today the wind chill is minus 30 F. here.... I've been making parts for another parlor guitar. I started with the neck and figured I'd add it to the mix here in this thread.

11. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I cut a piece of Honduran mahogany from one of my big hunks, on my bandsaw. I prefer quartersawn lumber. I measured off about 10 inches for the peghead and marked it.

DSC05681.JPG

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018

12. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I cut the peghead part off and jointed one face and edge of each. I let it sit overnight in case it wanted to move.

DSC05682.JPG

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018

13. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I dug out my protractor and marked off a 12 degree angle line for the scarf joint. I cut outside the line on the bandsaw.

DSC05683.JPG

DSC05684.JPG

DSC05685.JPG

DSC05686.JPG

14. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Now for the sophisticated tools....a flat block, double sided carpet tape, and coarse abrasive.

DSC05687.JPG

DSC05688.JPG

15. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    On the neck face of the scarf joint I put a line across with a square where the surfaces meet and start to sand the bandsaw marks. If the pencil line gets sanded off, it gets redone a hair lower. The key here is to only sand in one direction, not back and forth and to keep the block on the surface being sanded. It takes short movements of the block. With good sharp sandpaper it is pretty easy on mahogany.

DSC05689.JPG

sergiomajluf likes this.

16. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Then I draw a new line with the square and repeat. You can see the bandsaw marks starting to disappear.

DSC05690.JPG

17. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Another line, a little more sanding. Watch that pencil line and check the surface for squareness to the edge of the neck.

DSC05691.JPG

18. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    A few minutes later this part is done for now.

DSC05693.JPG

nickhofen likes this.

19. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    The second part for the peghead gets thinned out on the bandsaw. The jointed side is against the fence.

DSC05694.JPG

DSC05695.JPG

20. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Then I run the band sawn side of the peghead piece through the thickness sander. It's too cold for the planer to operate outside in these temps. That takes a few passes to get to thickness.

DSC05696.JPG

DSC05697.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.