Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Let's make a neck!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Aug 2, 2017.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I sanded the whole neck with 120 and the fretboard with 220. I used the triangular file on the fret slots to chamfer them. I had to change to the 7.25 pressing caul in the fret press....luckily I could find it because I've kept the 12" one installed in the arbor press for more than a decade. I used short leftovers of my #148 stewmac wire and still needed to bend one length for one fret.... go figure.

Since I didn't overbend the fretwire for 7.25 inches, I think I'll glue the ends in with the rods and caul method, for a measure of security on the ends.
    The last thing was the bow clamping method to drive the barbs into position. All this is outlined in more detail in the first neck if you wonder what I'm talking about. See posts #163-171.

frets.jpg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    awasson, I_build_my_own and mkster like this.

2. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Epilog

I beveled the fret ends and knocked off the sharp corners where they meet the eased edge. Same as the first neck. I cut, sanded, and fit a bone nut. b1.jpg b2.jpg b3.jpg b6.jpg

richa likes this.

3. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    And a shot of the neck sitting in a MIM body. Next up sanding, enlarge the tuner holes, and maybe some finish? Thanks for watching!

b5.jpg

Barncaster, Mat UK and awasson like this.

4. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    I keep meaning to try that doggy treat thing for a bone nut. I should just go get one.

5. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    richa likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.