Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Let's make a neck!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Aug 2, 2017.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Since many of my threads are essentially useless now due to photo blackmail, I thought I'd start a new one while I make a neck that I need for a build. This will be a maple two piece bolt on neck with a hotrod truss rod. I went to order a hotrod and saw they were back ordered, so I recycled one from an experimental neck I made a few years ago that was just sitting around.

I start out with the fretboard. I found a nice hunk of 10/4 rough hard maple at my lumber store down the road. It'll provide me with quartersawn fretboards, which I prefer.

The hunk:

fb1.jpg

Next I jointed one edge flat and ripped about a 7/16" piece off on the band saw.

It's slow going with a 1/4" blade, but it made it.

fb2.jpg

The sawn surface. That black stuff is a knot running sideways... but in the waste area.

fb3.jpg

I'll let this sit and acclimate as it is really humid the past week.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017

2. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Next up will be to cut the fretslots. I'll use a stewmac slotting system but when I first started out I laid out lines with a scale and sharp pencil. Fret spacing can be calculated using what's called " the rule of 18". This link explains it.

http://www.liutaiomottola.com/formulae/fret.htm

To determine the fret spacing you take your desired scale length and divide by the number 17.817....... so 25.5" /17.817= 1.431". That's the distance from the nut to the center of the #1 fret slot.

Then you subtract that number from the initial scale length to get the number to use for the second fret distance 25.5- 1.431=24.069. You take the 24.069/17.817 and do the calculation getting 1.3509" ...so on and so forth.

Stewmac has a calculator on their website and it'll do the math for you.

https://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator.html

SweetClyde99 and Mat UK like this.

3. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Thanks for this. Always interested in this subject.

Question - are you familiar with fret2find? Just curious if you have used it and have reservations or just haven't run across it.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I ve used the scale length divided by (the twelvteth root of two raised to the power of the fret number) method which gives excellent results. Is the S Mac for well tempered or something else scales?

6. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

I've seen it but not I have not used it. I just use the stewmac fret calculator result for the cnc when I'm scribing slots.

richa likes this.

7. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    The stewmac calculations are based on the rule of 18 as far as I know.

8. Daniel94

Daniel94 Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    Odessa, MO
    I've read through your Building a one piece neck thread many times, huge bummer the pics are gone... thanks for putting in time to redo a neck thread. I'm sure it'll be very helpful.

Wahoo and guitarbuilder like this.

9. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    Subscribed!, making a neck is the scariest part of doing a build from scratch.

guitarbuilder and Bugeater281 like this.

10. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Thanks GB. I need to start looking at doing a few necks for upcoming projects, so will be watching closely.

guitarbuilder likes this.

11. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2016
    Arkansas
    From what I have read, the "rule of 18" actually uses 18.000 as the constant. The 17.817 is derived from the twelfth root of 2 calculation and is the more precise method of the two. I think the 18.0 was just an approximation used back in the old days because it was easier. The stewmac calculator works off of the 17.817 calculations and will produce a different spacing than using an even 18.0 for the spacing.

12. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

And this agrees with you:

John Nicholas likes this.

13. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Newbcaster and guitarbuilder like this.

14. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    Thanks for the new neck building thread. I think that the neck is the most intimidating part of a build for new builders. What are you using to load your photos now? I have never used PB but that stinks that so many of the build threads on here will become useless.

15. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

I like to be as accurate as I can within reason and the machined templates are the way to go. My first 30 necks or so were cut on a simple plywood miterbox lining up a pencil line to a saw kerf. It worked and nobody complained that the notes were off 2 cents.

John Nicholas likes this.

16. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I'm loading the pictures from my camera to the computer, and then right to the thread. When Paul upgraded the forum software a year or so ago, that feature became available.

17. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Funny, it seems we all start out in a similar way. My first one was a wooden miter box, with two razor blades sticking up (the dull back side of a single edge razor) which registered on an upside down fret board. It wasn't very accurate so the flex slots were all over the place!

Using the Stew Mac template provides the accuracy required for proper placement of frets.

18. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Next I checked to see if the fretboard warped across the width. It didn't, so I will go to the radiusing step. I left one edge rough and jointed one edge. The jointed edge will become my registration surface for the next steps.

rough edge.jpg jointed edge.jpg

Mat UK likes this.

19. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Melbourne, Austraila
    I'm a long way off attempting to make a neck, but I've subscribed. There's always great information in your threads Marty, thanks.

20. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    Great timing! Sorry about the photo blackmail, but this will be very helpful...I've been wanting to do a two piece neck.

Any chance this one will have an angled headstock?

21. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Marty, you are da man!

Thank you for sharing and showing this process.

I'm in.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.