Let me declare my love for the album which changed my life.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, May 9, 2019.

1. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

This didn't change my life. But it made rock alot more personal/relatable for me than the other things that were huge at the time, e.g., Yes, Genesis, Frampton, etc.

download.jpg

Random1643 likes this.
  2. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

That's kind of silly. You are talking about a guy that has 20 Grammy nominations and 7 wins since 1997 and has been selling out big concert venues for at least that long. I was at a bar two months ago and heard a newer Beck song play over the radio. The guy next to me said, "That's a cool Beck song. Remember how good Odelay was?"

middy and Steve 78 like this.
  3. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

So, in your mind, if a guitarist sees the name Beck and thinks of Jeff Beck, they are “so stuck in the past” that the forum is “in trouble”?

:lol:

That is scary small mind. o_O

All it means is that most of the forum members have a much broader musical reference base (which can easily contain more than one Beck) than you have. :D

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  4. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

That is really cool. I didn't know that.

Thanks!

5. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

Do you like any of the music side of metal, because even as a major metal fan, I too can get tired of the growly-grumbles, and have spent a good amount of time getting together a decent amount of clean-vocal metal. Both for my own enjoyment and as a way to ease friends/family into the genre. Would be happy to drop some suggestions, though I'll say up front, a lot of it is proggy.

6. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There's a fair amount of proggy influence in the stuff my metal-head nephew has shared w/ me so far.
    He likes the shifting time signatures and a few have a clean vocal double, not unlike an acoustic guitar track, paired w/ something kinda high-gain.
    That said, I wasn't really understanding Peter Gabriel, Gentle Giant, or Jethro Tull when they were "current"...
    So, for now, I'm trying to listen to his playlists as a part of a growing conversation and be open to what he likes - heck, we might end up playing together, or he might wind up inheriting some low-gain amps & guitars w/ under-wound pups... :lol:
    Peace - Deeve

sure - suggest away

7. claes

claes Tele-Holic

Ha, but it isn't a guitarforum. It's a forum of one particular guitar. And what a surprise...the exact guitar used by all those storytellers...dylan...springsteen...etc ;)

8. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

And Beck...
    [​IMG]

claes and Steve 78 like this.
  9. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Holic

Who's Next, Quadrophenia, the Rolling Stones' Hot Rocks compilation and the Moody Blues compilation This is The Moody Blues.

10. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

Sorry I'm so late getting back to you, had my list ready and just forgot why I pulled it up. And now I'm at work without it, so just gonna be off the top of my head while I'm on break.

Artist Album
    Soen.......Lykaia
    Opeth......Pale Communion (if I recall properly, there's a few "cookie monster" vocals in parts of one or two tracks. Largely clean though)
    Sermon...Birth of the Marvelous (one of my all time favorites)
    Cynic......Traced in Air (The clean vocals are weird and kind of robotic to fit with the sci-fi concept of the album, which is definitely not everyone's cup of tea)

It's all pretty proggy stuff, but hopefully that little snippet can help you find more stuff you like

Anthrax and Testament are also both decent picks if you want more classic metal feel to the music. Just totally forgot about them somehow. AND they're both still really great live if you end up liking them enough!

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  11. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@Cysquatch
    Thanks for the added list.
    Truth be told, I prefer R&B Gospel and other old-man music we discuss here.

I've gotta show I can still learn...
    Peace - Deeve

btw - I think yr avatar is great -

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.