Let me declare my love for the album which changed my life.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, May 9, 2019.

1. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Meister

That’s the thing about taste: it’s all opinion and there’s no reason to argue anyone out of what they like musically. What we like is based on when and where we lived growing up and the friends and family experiences we had related to the music we heard, it’s like smelling a food we associate with a fond memory. Personally the Cars first album with the woman behind a steering wheel was pretty important to me during high school, my friends and I dug that album. Growing up in Seattle with Canadian parents and relatives means I almost never heard Country music so my rock tastes are based on what we turned up on car radios as teenagers.

elihu and t guitar floyd like this.
  2. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

I was just a young kid, but Scotty Moore was THE MAN.

220px-Elvis_at_Sun.jpg

t guitar floyd likes this.
  3. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Mutations! Now that is an underrated album if there ever is one.

SolidSteak likes this.
  4. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Why would anyone want to do that?

I dig Beck. Interesting guy that marches to the beat of his own drum and has pretty much stayed that way. Good for him. I saw him live last year at a big festival. Very impressive.

5. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

You can’t dismiss the importance of either Beck mentioned here, and I imagine they’d really enjoy each other’s company.

The album that did it for me was the first Stones album I bought. Love You Live. It came out in the late 70s. I bought it in the late 80s. Played the hell out of it as I was learning to drive. The versions of “Honky Tonk Women” and “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” on that are still among my favorites. Woody’s solo on the latter helped define my sound as I developed. Heck, all the guitar sounds on the whole thing, for that matter.

t guitar floyd likes this.
  6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

7. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Definitely a great example of versatility! Odelay was a big departure from what he was writing, I think in large part due to the Dust Brothers being involved in collaboration with the album. For people like me who grew up with Mellow Gold, Odelay was a big "WTF???" :D Man I'm having nostalgic flashbacks just thinking about it.

Beck's style changes up so often it's comparable to David Bowie I think. (I mean, he's no Bowie, but his adaptability and wide-ranging creativity reminds me of Bowie's personas.) I really liked the slower, moodier album he put out 5-6 years after the disco-themed Odelay/Midnight Vultures phase - Sea Change.

BorderRadio likes this.
  8. SolidSteak

I always forget about Mutations... I think since it came between the more flamboyant and dance-driven Odelay and Midnight Vultures it went under the radar for me. "Cold Brains" is one of my favorite songs.

Man I'm gonna have to dig out Beck's discography for a listen now!

9. SolidSteak

I don't know that I have any albums that "changed my life," but I do have some favorites that are landmarks of things I was going through, places I lived and visited, and people. Mellow Gold is probably on that list. And when I first heard Charles Bradley's No Time for Dreaming it hit me deep in my gut. Led Zeppelin IV, Ladytron 604, Built to Spill Live, Radiohead OK Computer and then Kid A. Exile on Main Street, Axis: Bold As Love, Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables, The Big Come Up, White Blood Cells, Bleach. I'm just trying to think back to different years and remember "what was I hearing/listening to then?" With some albums I also think "why was I listening to THAT?!!"

Steve 78 likes this.
  10. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

It wasn't an album for me. I was 6 or 7 years old, listening to everything on the radio and my older brother's records. Then I heard "Boom Boom" by the Animals and everything changed. Down the rabbit hole I went and I'm still there.

And I still have that 45

[​IMG]

11. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the Beck nudge. Now I know what I'll be listening to all day :)

I love the reverbs on Morning Phase. That's a great sounding album.
    And Sea Change had Nigel Godrich, who has become one of my favorite producers.

12. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

This one did it for me. I admit, not everyone I knew was a fan. His influence on me was profound. This Beck guy is not my bag, but at least I can give him props for being artistic and original. Well done. I’ll try to have another listen later.

13. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I kinda like Beck.

It sounds to me that most of these songs where created in a home studio... looped, layered and mixed with special effects.

And, these daze, that's fine.

But, it's just a bit sterile sounding to my ear's.

It doesn't "leap off the vinyl" as they use to say.

IMO.

14. Twelvefrets

Twelvefrets Tele-Meister

8F5A4D9B-A8B7-4325-ACDD-17338C7D2BAC.png

Don’t know why exactly this was so important but later I found myself reproducing many sounds I heard on this album. Sneaky, this one got WAY in my head.

15. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Out on another limb entirely, it was Chet Atkins' Class Guitar that showed me
    what was possible with an acoustic nylon-string guitar. The music on this LP was
    well-played, accessible, and free of the sorts of gimmicks (like vocal choruses, sax or harmonica solos) that spoiled a lot of his earlier work for me.
    Chet autographed a copy for me, it's one of my most treasured belongings.

16. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

Who is the bigger life changer for me in this pick? Collectively? Los Beatles. Over the head? Stunner of all? The real King? The dude in the center of the pick.

[​IMG]

17. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

Come and get me!

[​IMG]

18. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

Here's the first album I ever owned (IIRC). My uncle had their first live album constantly spinning. I got this one as soon as it came out. He took me to see them in 1975. My first concert.
    Changed my life forever! Made me want a guitar. As they say, the rest is history...

GrandFunkLP.JPG

Also, this 56yr. old fart loves Beck! Seen him twice and both shows were awesome!
    Seen Jeff Beck twice too. Two different planets; two different geniuses!

Steve 78 and SolidSteak like this.
  19. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

This was the one for me. "I don't want to hear it" is one of my favorite songs of all time. Just a perfect punk song. 82 seconds of perfection. :)

I had a guitar but I just never did anything with it. I knew I would never be very good at it. But this changed my mind about what a guitar was for. It wasn't for pretty playing. It was for expressing how you were feeling. Changed my world. Changed how I thought about music.

[​IMG]

middy, Steve 78, bromdenlong and 3 others like this.
  20. bumnote

bumnote TDPRI Member

When I was 10 years old, I got one of those compact stereo systems(tuner,8 track,turntable) for Christmas and this album...

C08C7ED3-0374-49D4-B253-671113F4B34B.jpeg
    I guess my parents thought having "Yellow Submarine" on it made it kid friendly...
    Never forget hearing "Tomorrow Never Knows" at that age.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.