Lessons from a Road Worn 50s Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by NewKid, Jan 14, 2019.

1. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

I just picked up a 2016 Road Worn 50s Telecaster in two-tone sunburst on Reverb - my first Made in Mexico instrument. I have been playing a 2017 American Special for the last year and really love it. However, the Road Worn has taught me a couple of valuable lessons:

1. I prefer the vintage tuners over locking tuners. The vintage tuners loook right on the tele and there are no string ends pointing out like on the locking tuners. I don't gig so I have all the time in the world to change strings. I still do like the locking tuners but I don't even change strings that often.

2. Lighter weight is better for me - The Road Worn is 7lbs 4oz and the American Special is 8.0 lbs. I appreciate all the merchants on Reverb that provide the weight of their Teles for sale. It tells me they know the deal.

3. I love the light aging on the Road Worn - the scratches, chips and worn areas are subtle and more realistic in terms of wearing finish down by just playing. The first ding on my American Special was just above the input jack when I banged it on the side of my bed while I was trying to put the guitar back on the stand. It looks like I took a hammer to it and I thought, "Well it's mine now."

4. Nitro finish for sure - if Fender can put a Nitro finish on MIM guitars, it should be available on American made factory models as well. I would like to see my guitar age after years of use.

5. I cant' tell the difference between pickups yet. The Tex-Mex pickups on my Road Worn sound great and I also like the Texas Specials on my American Special. It may also be due to me primarily playing jazz standards on the neck pickup with the tone knob turned down. I'm sure I'm not scratching the surface of what these pickups can do but I'm looking forward to finding out.

6. Telecaster is home for me - I think the Strat is beautiful and same with the Les Paul and PRS guitars. I've tried lots of different models in guitar stores over the last year looking for something different from my American Special. But ever since I got this Road Worn, I'm seeing more Teles in my future instead.

I love this forum. My family could care less about any of this!

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Welcome to the forum, NewKid! I agree with every one of your points, except perhaps the ability to distinguish between types of pickups. But it's Teles for me--nitrocellulose lacquer finish, vintage-style split-shaft tuners, lighter aging rather than heavy relic, and a finished guitar in the 7 lb range.

Enjoy!

moosie, Jamie_h and NewKid like this.
  3. dimojoe

dimojoe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

pics please !

WingedWords and Fiesta Red like this.
  4. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Welcome Sir!

NewKid likes this.
  5. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones Tele-Meister

Yeah, once you go Tele, there's no way back!;) HNGD!

Oh man, I know what that's like. It's a good thing this place exists!:)

WingedWords likes this.
  6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I also agree with your findings. I have never understood why people change out vintage tuners for locking ones. What's so slow about shoving a string in a hole and winding it on. Getting the cut length right is just as easy.
    Congrats on the new tele.

NewKid likes this.
  7. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yes indeed. I look in on various guitar forums, but in spite of recent problems this one is still the best. It's the only one where I know there'll be people happy to help or just chat about all my guitar loves, Teles, Offsets, Resonators, even basses, Strats and Les Pauls. Not sure about my main activity of classical guitar. Or my dreadful secret

DSC_4809.JPG

Kodiak, wblynch and Ydwen Jones like this.
  8. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aah ! I need eye bleach from seeing that :D

9. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

sorry

10. roeg

roeg Tele-Meister

for sure.I've owned a Roadworn Tele for 4 years, you haven 't missed a mark! ;) .
    The biggest difference,for me, is the time and effort($) corona puts into their necks.Then, the fit on the body,which can be a draw.each guit. different.if you find one that speaks,hold on...

Also,Gotoh locking vintage oval nickel tuners,and a six saddle nickel plated bridge upgrades on mine.stable tuning.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  11. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Roadworn 50s is my favorite Tele. Congrats!

12. Fingerbleed

Fingerbleed TDPRI Member

Well, we’ve seen pics of banjos but no Tele...pics please. Or change the title to New Banjo Day! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WingedWords likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.