Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Les Paul style controls in a Telecaster

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Recalcitrant, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Recalcitrant

Recalcitrant TDPRI Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Philadelphia
    Teles and Pauls do have a some things in common: a pair of pickups, and a three-way switch. Les Pauls are known for the wide pallet of tones in the middle switch position. What if you modded a Tele so each pickup had its own volume and treble knobs?

I mod my Teles frequently, and ordinarily I wouldn't say the result is much superior to original stock. But I tried the LP scheme recently, and I found it useful enough to share.

I was able to find concentric 250KA pots and diminutive chrome concentric knobs at https://guitarelectronics.com/. The pots and 3-way can be wired as in these diagrams. I think the stacked knobs look fine.

DSCN0137.JPG

The results don't change the sound of the front and back pickups played solo. But together they can be mixed in ways ranging from customary middle tones, to a neck tone with bite , or a bridge sound with some width. I like the mod, and figure I'll keep it, at least for now.

You can find concentric stacked 500KA pots, as an alternative, everywhere. I found they made me roll the tone knobs more. And I wouldn't use less than .047uF caps. In other words, using common Les Paul values makes the result a little bright.

img038.jpg

Who would find this useful? Often you come across neck and bridge pups that are each awesome played solo, but don't blend well. This mod allows balance and tone capabilities. Some players like a little neck sound to fatten up the bridge, and vice-versa. This makes it easy. Finally, it allows new sounds, or at least ones you don't hear as often. I like a bright neck sound, and found I can add punch to it by blending in the bridge that's been darkened up.

On the down side, it is a little fiddly. While the sounds can be rich, will they, as the great George Jones said, hear it in those beer joints? And you may like your current middle sound just fine. But I just play at home, and I like the extra functionality. Best wishes.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017

2. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I have dual stacked VOL/TONE on my mule (Warmoth) Tele.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.