Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Les Paul JR for country style picking?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by jglenn, Jan 2, 2013.

1. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2010
    everett wa
    Just got my first Les Paul JR this week,a US made Gibson.Got a really good deal from a former boss.Money is very tight for me,as it is divorce time for me again! but I sold my Ibanez 335 style to a co worker,and got the JR for 425.00 cash.
    First thing I played on it were some Dwight Hokum style riffs,and this thing just killed for that style of playing!Maybe just better for my playing style,but I got a better country sound than i ever got from the teles I have owned.Anyone else had a similar experience? I have seen Keith Urban using the jr,but more in a rock vein.Other than him,I dont know of another country picker that plays one regularly.
    By the way,I really like this guitar,and feel really fortunate to be able to get this one on the cheap,and will put it to good use. I have given fellow players cheap and or free guitars over the years when I was able to,and now a fellow player took care of me on this buy,sweet!

2. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    Cool! Congrats on your new Jr! I love slab LP's and P-90's.....great combo for any type of music. They excel (imo) in the country pickin' area.

I remember seeing Emily Lou Harris back in the late 70's, ealy 80's. I was pumped to see Albert Lee on guitar. To my surprise, instead of Labert, out came this cocky looking dude with a cig hanging out of his mouth and sporting a limed mahogany 57 (or so) Les Paul Special.....with a B-bender no less!!!

I found out later his name is Frank Reckard and he just tore it up on that LP....it sure sounded country to my ears!

My first 'real' electric was a 57 Les paul Special with two P-90's. I did not play (or even like!) country music at that time.....but that LP Special could pretty much do anything tone wise from blues to rock to jazz to country.

3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I'm not famous, but I use LP Jr.'s for country all the time. I don't pay any new stuff, only older country, outlaw, and honky tonk stuff, but I think these guitars really excel at those styles. They are also great for pretty much anything else you throw at them.

I use mine for everything. the only styles I don't play on a regular basis are jazz and full out metal. But I think that if I did, I could still do it with a Jr.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Feb 24, 2005
    Florida Panhandle
    I remember seeing that show with Reckard....blew me away.

6. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 16, 2008
    California
    Kathleen Edwards uses one sometimes.

7. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2010
    everett wa
    I saw the old TV show with Frank Reckard also,I think he played the short 3/4 scale JR if I am not mistaken,but man,he just wailed on that thing!Emylou sure picked some bad assed guitar players over the years!

8. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

May 26, 2012
    In the USA!
  9. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2010
    everett wa
    Thanks guys. BB,my first good guitar was a Guild Arisocrat with two soap bars,from Seattle music in the 1970's,amazing guitar,225.00 bucks with aligator case.

10. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 28, 2009
    London, England
    If you're happy with a rootsier, rounder sound I think P90 LPs do fine for country (in my experience). I feel like they encourage me to play fewer notes, which is usually a good thing....

11. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Gibsons with single P90s can handle almost anything, plus Gibson put some seriously responsive controls on their slabster guitars, which can give you a great spread of tones from one pickup.

[​IMG]

12. Psyclone

Psyclone Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2007
    Grand Rapids, Ohio
    I love my jr. Everything from rock to blues to gospel to even jazz. The simple nature of the guitar seems to bring out the best in my playing.

They also look very, very cool.

13. dblues

dblues Tele-Holic

Apr 3, 2011
    smyrna tn
    Back in the 80s the places we played required lots of country and all kinds of rock except heavy metal. I went back and forth between my Strat and Jr. The guy I was playing for had an early 60s tele that stayed stashed behind his couch in the living room. I asked him if I could try it on a job and bought some new strings for it. At the end of the night he said "You can play whatever you want but I think that Gibson sounds best." Granted I didn't know much about setting up the Tele but I eventually sold the Strat and just played the Jr.

14. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    You can get great tones for that type of music on any p90 LP. Doesn't have to be a Junior.

15. hwy145

hwy145 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2010
    Kalamazoo!!!!
    Definitely a possibility, especially for Dwight "hokum" riffs...

All kidding aside, any guitar can be used as a tool for any style, but the tele just lends itself well to the sound many country pickers go for. I have an es 339 that sounds heavenly when performing pedal steel type bends...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.